Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone read and translate Latin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Feb 2008 22:58

I have a birth cert with about half a dozen words in Latin on it but find it hard to read anyone willing to have a look for me please? .....and translate if pos.

Norah

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:02

why don't you put them on here for us to look at?

Sue

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Feb 2008 23:10

Sue do you mean put the cert up?? not sure how!! and if it's the words can't really read them they are something like "lass fullio prono.........."
Norah

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:12

I meant just type in the words here.

Sorry thought you meant you couldn't translate them not that you couldn't actually read the writing.

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:14

If I have trouble reading a document I lay a piece of tracing paper over it and write on the words I can read in pencil over the top. I then gradually work on it and try not to worry too much to begin with what it is going to mean.

Sue

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Feb 2008 23:25

prono is great-grandson

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Feb 2008 23:31

Thanks Sue have sent a pm to you.
Right Claire that's a start, I think, thanks

Norah

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Feb 2008 23:34

Norah try this site but it's best if you put the words in one at a time

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:48

That had me confused for a few minutes. Looked a bit like Latin but it actually reads "lawfully procreated betwixt him and his spouse"

Sue

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Feb 2008 23:49

Thanks Claire have tried one of these sites and it didn't know what I was saying lol!! Sue is trying at the moment to decipher it so might get somewhere and will then give it another go!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:51

That was interesting. I've never seen that put on early records before. Usually the records states if a child is illegitimate or base but usually assumes that if born to married parents then the child is lawfully procreated!

Sue
x

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 26 Feb 2008 23:54

Oh! The Shame............Can't even read English. Thank you very much Sue your a real Star.
See Claire I could have made up a new birth cert with your help lol!
hope no one else reads this

Norah

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Feb 2008 23:58

Ah but bits of it really did look like Latin.

I found it interesting and it reminded me to have a scan of a whole document first. The same phrase was repeated several times and was easier to read further down the sheet. But I forgot to do that too first.

Sue
x

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 27 Feb 2008 00:02

What a coincidence that one of those words translated from "Latin" to English!

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 27 Feb 2008 00:05

Well hate to say it but I DID read it further down and it still looked like Latin., must admit it's the first time I've seen that written on the opr. I bet he was a right old so and so, the minister, wonder what he put for an illegitimate babe!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 27 Feb 2008 00:07

Well it was a part of a word.........trouble was the other part was on the next line!
So we were reading puerrio because we thought that was how it looked but comparing letters with others and looking later on at the whole word it was then clear the whole word was procreated. Not obvious written as we do in typing how they could be confused but it really could!

Then the lawfully was split into law (badly written) and fully but the fully bit looked more like fullio and appeared to decline correctly with puerrio.

Easily muddled!

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 27 Feb 2008 00:10

Well it's my excuse for starting to try and translate it and I'm sticking to it!!!! LOL

Sue
x

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 27 Feb 2008 00:12

I'm with you there!