Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ernest Gollop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 27 Dec 2007 21:42

Trying to find any information on the Gollop family from Dorset, particularly Ernest Leslie George Gollop b.1924 whose father was Frank Gollop who married Daisy Mortimer,Frank and Daisy had children Grace, Margeret,Frank and Ernest, I am led to believe there were more children.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 27 Dec 2007 23:43

Could this be the death of son Frank?

Name: Frank Gollop
Birth Date: 19 Jul 1926
Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 1999
Age at death (estimated): 73
Registration district: Bournemouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Register number: B22D
Entry Number: 102

Nothing appears for Ernest in the 1984-2005 death index. He could be still living, or have died pre-1984 when there is no searchable database as yet.

Searching at http://www.freebmd.org.uk

for births surname Gollop, mother's surname Mortimer, there is only one as so far transcribed:

Births Mar 1921
Gollop Ernest
Mortimer
Christchurch
2b 1177

Could that be your Ernest?

If you check back at FreeBMD as transcription progresses (which it is doing fairly quickly), you can search for other children that way.

With their actual birthdates, from birth certs, you could possibly find the deaths of any daughters who have died since 1984, even without knowing their married surnames.

Deaths certificates, and published obituaries that might be found in microfilmed newspaper archives at a library, could provide info about surviving family.

bo

bo Report 18 Jul 2009 20:46

theirs a ernest gollop 1930 bmd with no middle name if that helps.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jul 2009 02:24

Evidently Pamela didn't bother figuring out how the boards work before posting this query. There is no acknowledgement of my initial post, or of your first post, Raymond. Perhaps she is expecting replies by email ...

Gollop and Mortimer married in 1920 in Christchurch. Two Ernest Gollops with mother Mortimer were born in Christchurch within a short time after that; the second one matches Pamela's specs (the first may have died in infancy). The Frank Gollop whose death I posted had mother Mortimer. The other two children's births are in the GRO index (at Ancestry) as well.

If Pamela should return, the details of a person matching her Ernest who married in 1948, and likely births to the couple, could easily be provided, now that Ancestry has completed those indexes - not on the boards here, of course, since we are talking then about living people.

If Pamela does happen to read the thread, the thing to do is click on th purple Reply button at the top and acknowledge these replies, and anyone who can help will.

Pamela

Pamela Report 10 Mar 2010 10:01

My apologies for not acknowledging your posts but unfortunately I have had deaths in my family and many other issues that followed so I have only just got back into my family tree.

I do appreciate those that have taken the trouble to help and shall be looking into the information you have so kindly provided as soon as I can

bo

bo Report 1 Jul 2010 18:07

go on the 1911 site their are lots of the gollops their if you are not connected let me know i will try to help you . boo.

bo

bo Report 13 May 2013 22:21

Hi Pamela I think we are related if you are a Gollop

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 May 2013 23:03

Hello bo, Pamela seem to be a very infrequent user of these boards (only 3 posts in total to her name and the last on this thread was over 3 years ago). She's unlikely to see your response.

You could click on her name to attempt to contact her by direct message.

Pamela

Pamela Report 27 Oct 2013 22:38

Hello MarieCeleste, You are right I am an infrequent user as I am a very busy person, but I am glad to say you are wrong when you said it was unlikely I would see Bo's response. I shall be contacting Bo by direct message, I do not like sarcastic remarks when you do not know the circumstances.

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 27 Oct 2013 22:50

Oh Pamela, MarieCeleste was not being sarcastic at all. Because it had been a while (3 years) since you had added to this thread, she was just being very helpful in directing bo to a quicker way of contact.

Most members will do this on any old thread just in case the originator didn't return and valuable information, or new leads, may be lost.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Oct 2013 23:07

Pamela, my response was by no means sarcastic. It was constructive and to the point.

If you hover your cursor over someone's avatar it will show you how many posts they have made on these boards - those posts are made helping others with their research and also giving assistance on how the boards work. We are well versed in guiding people to get the best results hence my comments to bo.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Oct 2013 09:26

What was 'sarcastic' about Marie's post?

It was factual, and gave helpful advice to enable bo to try to contact you.

An apology is needed...................from you