Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records of inmates Anlaby Road Workhouse, Hull

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 16 Mar 2004 19:39

i am trying to find where there would be any records of inamtes between 1871-1880 for Anlaby Road Workhouse. Hull Archives have minutes books and inmate lists but not for between these dates. Where else could I search, or is all hope lost? Also, Where would the inmates have been buried? The relly in question did have a large family still alive in Hull. Would they have had to contribute towards his burial or would he have been buried in a pauper's grave? if so, would there be a record anywhere? Jackie

Jackie

Jackie Report 16 Mar 2004 21:40

Thanks for the tip. Tried the site -same one I found earlier. Unfortunately the records for 1880 aren't listed as being in the Archives. Tried emailing their FHS but was returned -not having any luck! Will, I think, have to write to them the good old fashioned way! Jackie

Michael

Michael Report 28 Oct 2016 12:41

I am also interested in tracing a record of inmate MaryJane Marshall who died in August 1878 in Anlaby Road workhouse. Where would she have been buried? Michael

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 28 Oct 2016 15:57

???????
Mary Jane Marshall
Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Registration Year: 1878
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 28
Registration district: Hull
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 207

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 28 Oct 2016 16:01

Maybe not that one as it does not look like she died in the workhouse.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 10:11

Workhouses had infirmary,s too where folks would go for treatment etc .this didn't mean they were in the workhouse but because they couldn't afford private doctor treatment .

Folks didn't like the stigma of the workhouse informary put on certs so it was changed to having the postal address put as the place of death,or birth !!