Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Birth but lived in Scotland: Can anyone hel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcia

Marcia Report 12 Mar 2006 07:35

I am searching for information on Moses Corbett and hs wife Mary Hill. According to information kindly passed on to me by GR members, Moses was born in Ireland in approx. 1833. At the time of the 1881 census, he was a widowed ironworks labourer, living in Motherwell, Scotland with his 3 children: Thomas b. 1863, Margaret b. 1865, and William John b. 1867. Margaret Corbett married George Anderson Wardrope and they had 14 children, one of whom was my grandmother Georgina Anderson Wardrope who married Alexander Jardine and migrated to Australia in about 1911. My mother who was born in Australia will be 91 this year and knows little about her Scottish ancestors, but would dearly love to know about Moses eg where in Ireland did he come from etc. and also about her Wardrope family. I don't have a credit card, and therefore don't think I am able to access Scotlands People, and I really don't know how else to obtain the information. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards Marcia

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 12 Mar 2006 09:11

Hi Marcia, Without a County for Ireland, it may be an impossible task. This is a breakdown for the surname Corbett in Ireland Antrim 9 Armagh 3 Belfast city 10 Carlow 2 Cavan 8 Clare 104 Cork 80 Cork city 8 Derry 17 Donegal 6 Down 55 Dublin 8 Dublin city 5 Galway 58 Kerry 3 Kilkenny 11 Laois 1 Leitrim 2 Limerick 71 Limerick city 9 Louth 2 Mayo 6 Meath 1 Monaghan 14 Offaly 7 Roscommon 7 Tipperary 104 Tyrone 10 Waterford 28 Westmeath 1 Wexford 1 Wicklow 1 In 1861 census index for Dalziel there's a Moses Corbet age 26 with a Mary Corbet age 17 both born Ireland. Below their names are a Mary Hall (could be a trans. error for Hill) but could possibly be Mary's mother, also with her is a William Hall age 20, both born Ireland. Liz p.s Thomas's birth cert. of 1863 has marriage...about 3 years ago, looks like Bally Clare?? If you want the image of Thomas's birth cert. can you PM me your email addy. Liz

Kate

Kate Report 12 Mar 2006 10:11

Marcia - this is from the Scotland's People FAQ's: How can I pay? Payment can be by credit or debit card and most major cards are accepted including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Visa Debit, Switch, Solo, Delta and JCB. See Payment Process for further information. Can I pay without a credit/debit card? No. Payment may only be made by credit or debit card at the moment, but other methods of payment may be available in the future e.g. vouchers. So if you have a debit card you may well be able to buy credits. Kate.

Marcia

Marcia Report 12 Mar 2006 11:27

Dear Suzi I don't think the dates and family for Moses Corbit fit with the information that I have, but thank you very much for looking. I really appreciate your kindness. Kind regards Marcia

Marcia

Marcia Report 12 Mar 2006 11:30

Dear Liz Thank you for your help. I am very excited as I think the information you have found may be relevant. This is the best breakthrough I have had for ages, and I would be very grateful if you could send me the image of Thomas's birth certificate. I will send you my email address under separate cover. With kind regards Marcia

Marcia

Marcia Report 12 Mar 2006 11:35

Dear Kate Thank you for your help. Will look into to it. Kind regards Marcia

Marcia

Marcia Report 13 Mar 2006 06:02

Dear Suzie I forgot to thank you for the info from the 1871 census. I know that Moses was a widow by 1881, but perhaps he was already a widow by 1871, if there was no mention of Mary. Thanks again. Regards Marcia

Marcia

Marcia Report 14 Mar 2006 07:18

Thanks Suzie I wonder where she got to? Another puzzle to be sorted! Regards Marcia

JOY

JOY Report 16 Jul 2014 11:05

Hi,

My brother came across your post whilst searching the internet for information about our Grandfather, George Anderson Wardrope, and felt that there may be some connection to you.

My Grandfather lived in Motherwell, Scotland, and was married to Grace. He was an engineer during the war and worked in bomb disposal, having received the George Medal for removing a bomb from St Pauls Cathedral, London.

He had two children, George A Wardrope and Margaret (Jardine Corbett Wardrope) Herdman. We are the children of Margaret.

My Grandfather is now deceased and so are my parents but we know very little about our grandparents and their families so we are hoping that you may have some information for us. We believe that you may be distant relations.

My grandfather had many brothers and sisters but we cannot recall any of them.

If you are still searching and interested in getting in touch, we would be very pleased to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Joy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Jul 2014 11:09

hello Joy and welcome to the boards :-)

this was first posted in 2006 and the poster has never made another posting since - you could try to make contact by clicking on the poster's name to send a message via GR

JOY

JOY Report 16 Jul 2014 16:00

Thank you for the information. I did notice that it was some time ago, but without having any other contact details thought I would give it a try. I will send a message as you suggested.

Regards,

Joy