Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Eldridge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 4 Aug 2005 20:11

Trying to find info about on Richard Eldridge born abt 1850 in Hammersmith(?) London. Fathers's name was Jesse who I have as a greengrocer in 1855. Richard Eldridge was an Excavator who married Fanny Green in Abingdon Berkshire in 1879. Trying to find links to Eldridges in Ewhurst Sussex.

David

David Report 28 May 2013 12:36

Hi Gary, I wonder if you are still interested in finding a link to Eldridges of Ewhurst from Richard Eldridge bn 1850 Hammersmith.
If so, here is what I have. I'll start with what I am sure is known to you anyhow.
The IGI shows Richard E bn 22 Jan 1850 bap 12 June 1857 St Pauls Hammersmith s/o Jesse Eldridge and Caroline. IGI Indexing C027790.
Now to what may or may not be correct...
I have Jesse bn 23 Oct 1803 Ewhurst and bap 4 Dec 1803 Wesleyan Rye Circuit.
My notes tell me that Jesse married Caroline Oliver in 1843. The marriage was regd in Tenterden District in the Dec Qtr. Jesse has his surname spelled "Aldridge".
I have Caroline as bn 1813 and died 1883. There is an entry in IGI for a Caroline Oliver bap 6 Nov 1814 at Halden, Kent d/o Henry and Elizabeth. Halden is just 3 miles north of Tenterden.
They had the following children:
Elizabeth 1842, Ellen 1844, William 1845, Henry 1846, Frederick and Richard in 1850, Catherine 1852 and Jesse 1853.
If this is the correct Jesse then he was the son of Richard Eldridge bn 1767 and Sarah Cramp.
Interestingly, there is this entry in the 1841 Census
1841 census – household transcription
Address: In The Street, High Halden, Kent
AUSTEN, Phebe F 25 Butchers Wife Kent
AUSTEN, Phebe F 2 Kent
AUSTEN, Thomas M 0 (1 month) Kent
ELDRIDGE, Richard M 70 Ag. Lab. Not born in Kent
National Archives Ref.: HO107 Piece: 473 Folio: 6/6 Page: 5
Registration District:Tenterden Sub District:Tenterden
Civil Parish: Halden, Address: In the Street, High Halden.

This could be Jesse's father, Richard, since his wife, Sarah, had died in 1837 and she had been described as "of Smarden" in the burial register in Ewhurst. Perhaps they had been living there.

Also Jesse's brother, Allen, bn 1805, was up in London, specifically hammersnith about 1851. See below:
1851 Census HO107 1469 Hammersmith St Peters - 9 Oxford Place - Allen Eldridge Head 45 yoa Sergt-Major of Militia Staff bn Ewhurst Sussex;
Eliza Eldridge Wife 32 yoa Milliner and Dress Maker bn Stanwell Middlesex; Edward Eldridge Visitor 19 yoa Labourer bn Frittenden? Kent.
Edward is possibly Edward Eldridge (1831-1859) s/o Edward Eldridge (1809-1880) m 1828 Hannah Milham (1805-1840) and therefore Allen's nephew.

I am interested in the info that Jesse was a greengrocer in 1855. I have date of death for him of 1853 but I do not know what that is based on at the moment.

Hope something in here helps.
David Taylor

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 May 2013 12:38

David

Have you tried to make contact with Gary. Click on his board name and send him a message and if he still has the same email addy then he will get notification of the message thru GR

GB

David

David Report 28 May 2013 12:48

Thanks. I have sent him a note.