Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Eckersley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 6 Dec 2005 14:15

I am trying to trace any relatives of Peter Thorp Eckersley was born on 2nd July 1904 at Lowton, Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire. He was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College, Cambridge. He played for Lancashire CCC from 1923-1935, the last 7 years as captain. In June 1928 he was adopted as the prospective Conservative candidate for the Newton Division of Manchester, but temporarily gave up politics in order to take up the captaincy of Lancs. He was one of the most popular of Lancashire's captains and in 1933 captained Lancashire against Don Bradman's visiting Australian team. Eckersley was an enthusiastic airman and was chairman of the Lancashire Aero club, of which his wife Audrey, was also a member. In true fashion of the ostentatious 1930s, he often flew his own plane to cricket matches and became famous as the 'cricketing airman'. In 1935 he was elected as MP for the Exchange Division of Manchester and in February 1940 he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to Major G Lloyd George, Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade. In 1940 he joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve to put his flying skills to use. On 13th August 1940 a Percival Proctor training plane (serial no. P6113) crashed and burnt out near Winchester. Lieutenant PT Eckersley and Naval Airman Sidney John Snow were both killed. They were with 758 Squadron, stationed at HMS Raven (the wartime name of Southampton Airport). Sidney Snow was my great uncle, and I am keen try and trace any decedents of PT Eckersley to discover more about the circumstances of my great uncles death. I know that Peter Eckersley left two sons, who would presumably be in their mid 70s, if still alive. I would be delighted to hear from anyone who may know anything of them, or indeed could suggest any further avenues of investigation.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Feb 2015 23:20

Patricia

Have you tried to contact Mark as with only one post I do not think he will be checking back on the boards.

If he still has the same email addy he will get notification of a message

GB

patjillc

patjillc Report 23 Feb 2015 23:31

I am new to this and not too sure what you are talking about. I know this is a long shot, so I guess I am out of luck.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 24 Feb 2015 10:00

Patricia, click on Mark's name at the top of his post. A box will open up to allow you to send a personal message to him. As GlitterBaby has said, if he still has the same email address, Genesreunited will let him know he has a message from you.

If you need any help with your research, you can post your own thread and other members will try to help you.

Good luck with your research.