Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Staines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 14 Feb 2006 11:21

Hi, I am looking for some assistance on the maiden name of Priscilla (bn 1825 High Roding Essex), who married JAMES STAINES. They had at least 1 child called JANE STAINES (bn 1860 High Roding) who married Isaac PAVITT. I am particularly keen to find out more about Priscilla. I would also like to know some more about JAMES STAINES (bn 1823 Gt Canfield Essex), all I know is that his mother was called Sarah. Please help Many thanks Samantha

Anthony

Anthony Report 15 Nov 2016 21:36

This comes 10 years late - but I have just found out about this Priscilla, who was born Priscilla Ruffell in 1825. She was subject of a rather shameful child abandonment case in 1849 - see the newspaper reports! After serving time she married James Staines and the 1861 census shows John Ruffell "son of wife" bing brought up with the younger Staines children. By 1881 this John ran a pub in North London and employed two of his Staines half-brothers!
I found out as I am doing a sort of one-name study for Essex and Suffolk Ruffells to crack my own dead-end for a William Ruffell born in 1767. He had links to both Pavitts and Staines - so I hope to tie him into this family. I can explain more fully if you want to reply to [email protected]. Best regards, Tony Ruffell

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Nov 2016 22:25

Welcome to the boards Tony.

You've noticed that Samantha posted 10 years ago - she may not be a member any longer and is almost certainly not looking for replies.

Try clicking on her name to send a personal message which GR will relay if she still has the email address she registered with them. Unfortunately even if the message gets through, you're not guaranteed a reply for various reasons.

You should also remove your own email address, it's against GR guidelines as the site is not secure. Any messages to you can be sent by clicking on your name.