Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Doo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 11 Jan 2007 14:41

I'm trying to find any details of the parents of my grandmother Caroline Doo. She was born in Poplar, London on 2 Aug 1913. Her parents were Frederick Doo and Esther Lovell. I can't find any conclusive marriage or birth certificates and they weren't married for the 1901 census. I do know from her birth certificate that they lived in 1 Stewarts Buildings, Bromley (by-Bow), London at the time of my grandmothers birth. Thx Graham Aley

Johnson

Johnson Report 23 Jun 2015 00:43

I`m trying to find out the location of 3 Stewarts Buildings, Bromley-by-Bow, London. Relating to the surname Sayers who resided there in 1933. Any ideas?
Hope you have succeede in your quest for info.

regards Rosey

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jun 2015 10:21

Hi, Rosey -

Graham posted his request in 2007, and is unlikely to be looking here for replies now.

You can try sending him a personal message - click on his name at the top of his post.
If he still has the same email address, GR will notify him that he has a message from you.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jun 2015 12:08

I don't know if it's any help or not, but in the 1911 census, the order of census records runs like this:

3 Bird in Hand Court
4 Bird in Hand Court, Devons Road.
5a Bird in Hand Court
4a Bird in Hand Court
2 Stewarts Buildings
4 Stewarts Buildings
5 Stewarts Buildings
6 Stewarts Buildings
7 Stewarts Buildings

Then it moves on to 4 High Street. Looking at the map, it looks as if Devons Road would originally have joined on to High Street.

I don't know if that means Stewarts Buildings was part of, or near, Devons Road or not.
I imagine Bird in Hand Court and Stewarts Buildings were on the part of Devons Road now no longer in existence.

Devons Road (or some of it) still exists, but the buildings are relatively modern. The area would have been cleared years ago, either bombed during the war, or as part of slum clearance.

safc

safc Report 23 Jun 2015 12:40

for graham

Name: Frederick James Doo
Birth Date: 1869
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Esther Lovell
Spouse's Birth Date: 1871
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 21
Event Date: 25 Dec 1892
Event Place: Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey, England
Father's Name: George Henry Doo
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Robert Lovell
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status: Single
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00743-6
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 384917
Reference ID: p 218, cn 436

Citing this Record:
"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," Database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ7P-B7X : accessed 23 June 2015), Frederick James Doo and Esther Lovell, 25 Dec 1892; citing Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey, England, reference p 218, cn 436; FHL microfilm 384,917.

safc

safc Report 23 Jun 2015 12:41

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
17 Macclesfield St Dingley Road E C, St Luke, London, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
F J Doo Head Married Male General Dealer 41 1870 London Lambeth
Transcription
E Doo Wife Married Female - 37 1874 London Hackney
Transcription
F Y Doo Son Single Male News Vendor 19 1892 London St Lukes
Transcription
H Doo Son - Male School 11 1900 Walstanstow
Transcription
L Doo Son - Male School 9 1902 St Lukes
Transcription
W Doo Son - Male School 7 1904 St Lukes
Transcription