Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still...trying to find Colin Hodgson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 23 Feb 2007 12:59

Trying to find my birth father - Colin Hodgson estimated born in 1940/ish - living in or around Fulham, London in the early 1960's.
Believe that there may have been some navy/raf connection plus possibility of New Zealand connections also?

If anyone has any information - please get in touch.

Julie

Julie Report 16 Aug 2014 19:14

Its 2014 and lm still looking

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2014 19:37

Do you have an actual address in Fulham ?

....No need to post it here, but old electoral lists could be searched to establish whether or not he had any middle names, which might help with identifying the correct person.

Do you have any knowledge of any brothers / sisters or other family?

Gwyn

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 16 Aug 2014 19:38

Hi do you have any other information about him where born was he married to your mum anything that may help with the search

Julie

Julie Report 16 Aug 2014 20:14

Hi - no he wasnt married to my birth mother...someone has told me recently that according to electoral rolls he lived in Ealing and Fulham between 1958-1963...l was born in 1961. Dont know middle name..if any? Birth mother passed away 2012 so no one to verify anything...he was apparently 21 when l was born...l was named Julie Bowden...birth mother was Barbara Shirley Bowden

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Aug 2014 22:51

hi Julie, there were 6 Colin Hodgson births registered from April 1939 to June 1940 (so they could have been 21 when you were born, from just turned 21 to almost 22)
you can see them at
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

only one was born anywhere in your vicinity, in 1939 in Bromley with middle initial E

can the person who found him on the 1958-1963 electoral rolls tell you whether there was a middle initial for him?

there are a couple of marriages for Colin with middle initial E that could relate

Wandsworth 1968
Hitchen 1961 and another in the same place (possibly same person) 1974
Colchester in 1975 and another in the same place 1983 (on electoral roll there to 2008 ... age is wrong, matches 1956 birth)

there do not seem to have been any births to the 1968 marriage and I don't see them on an electoral roll

the Colin E on the electoral roll in Ely to 2010 is possible, aged 65+
(the Colin E in Wokingham is also 65+ but matches with a birth in 1933)

... so I wonder about the one in Ely ... a company director listing shows him born 1940 and the spouse's name matches with the 1974 Hitchin marriage ... I wonder whether 1940 might mean 1939 if he had not yet had his birthday when that was calculated

I would say that 1974 marriage is definitely the Bromley birth, the wife had previously married in Bromley

it isn't possible to search outgoing passenger lists after 1960 in case your Colin did leave England, possibly if the 1968 marriage related

just some things to think about I guess

two people at this site have the Colin born 1939 Bromley (Sidcup) in their tree

there is also someone with a Colin born 1939 New Zealand in their tree ... can you say what exactly the 'possibility of New Zealand' connections is?

Flip

Flip Report 17 Aug 2014 07:30

Afraid the person finding him 1958-1963 can't have the right person if he really was 21 when you were born. He would not have been eligible to vote until he was 21 so would not have been on the ERs before this.

The one living in Fulham in 1962 had no middle initial.

Julie

Julie Report 17 Aug 2014 09:05

Thanks guys for your help...its so hard with sketchy info lve been given. Not sure about New Zealand connection..could be family link...maybe he wasnt born in UK? Keep going round in circles with this...

Gee

Gee Report 17 Aug 2014 10:40

Would this be your mother?

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name:Barbara S Bowden & Kathleen A Bowden (think Kathleen is her mother)

Year:1962

County or Borough:Fulham

Ward or Division/Constituency:Fulham

Street address:35 Werley Ave SW 6

Reference Number:LCC/PER/B/2805

In the same district

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name:Colin Hodgson

Year:1962

County or Borough:Fulham

Ward or Division/Constituency:Fulham

Street address:277 Napier Court SW 6

Reference Number:LCC/PER/B/2805

RAF Northolt is nearby to Colin' address

Julie

Julie Report 17 Aug 2014 12:36

Yes that my birth mother and grandmother

The info on Colin Hodgson ie Napier Rd someone told me a couple of days ago as a possibility... They mentioned three other males living at same address..

I have been messaging all the Colin Hodgsons on facebook but it seems none of them ever read their private messages plus the names given as housemates...you never know?

He's proving a hard guy to find! Ive got no other siblings on mothers side l was her only child. More likely to have some on Colins side methinks!!

Flip

Flip Report 17 Aug 2014 13:05

The address given to you is wrong, it's actually mistranscribed and should be 277 New King's Road. The householder would appear to be Ellen A Webb (she was recorded as the juror) and was living there in 1956 - with a different set of possible lodgers.

patchem

patchem Report 17 Aug 2014 13:05

I think the address is actually New King's Road and 3 other males and a female.

Perhaps the person who messaged you could have put the information on here?

Lots of people born around the 1930's/1940's do not use facebook, or have used it once and then ignore it, unfortunately.

patchem

patchem Report 17 Aug 2014 13:06

Snap.

We both read the image, obviously.

Flip

Flip Report 17 Aug 2014 13:32

Yes Pat, most of the transcripts for London ERs are pretty C**p!

Ellen was at the address in 1959 with 3 other males, probably lodgers as well.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Aug 2014 17:05

Using your mother's name and grandmother's name and searching on freebmd, it seems possible that Kathleen had several other children.

Have you looked for them?

When I was helping someone direct ( ie. not on GR) it was an aunt who provided the vital clue and even provided the searcher with a 'long-ago' photo of her birth father.

Gwyn

Julie

Julie Report 17 Aug 2014 18:19

Hi Gwyn - yes as l did meet my birth mother l was able to meet her siblings...Reginald, David & Sylvia. At Barbaras funeral l met many first cousins who attended...for the first time in 2012 and are still in touch with some. That side of my family is pretty much now in my life. Barbaras sister Sylvia is the only one remaining now...maybe l will ask my cousin Hazel to see if she knows any information about the father of her sisters unborn child...doubt it but worth a try!!