Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lynda Powers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 6 Mar 2003 21:31

My paternal Grandmother Martha Catley was nee Coville and was born in Cambridge circa. 1890. She met her husband my Grandfather Charles Robert Catley (or Robert Charles) in the East End of London and married there or in Cambridge circa. 1908/09. My father told me that his grandfather (Coville) owned a Brickworks so I cannot fathom why my grandmother was in London in service? Their first son Charles was born in Cambridge in 1910 but they moved to St Helens Lancs so that they could work - my grandfather worked in the coalmines. They had 3 further sons, Leonard, James and Thomas (my father) They lived at 54 Pocket Nook Street St Helens Lancs near to the Beechams Factory and Pilkingtons Glass. My grandmother's sister Annie married Charlie Ross and they also lived in Pocket Nook Street and owned the corner shop. My grandfather had a brother Harry who also moved to St Helens before my grandfather but later emigrated to Australia where his descendants still live. Charles (my grandfather)and Harry (my great uncle) also had a sister Jesse who never married. My father told me that the Catley's hailed from the East End - Stepney and that my grandfather was born in the sound of Bow Bells (a true cockney) My Grandfather had an uncle (my Gt. Gt. Uncle Harry) who was a horse doctor (?) in the East End which I was quite impressed with! However my dad advised me that "by the 'eck, he'd cut your throat for half a crown"!! My family were the only non-catholics in that particular part of St Helens but were part of the community and my father's greatest friend - whom he always talked about - was Jimmy Lynch.