Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ingrid Bayles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ingrid

Ingrid Report 28 Dec 2002 11:53

Desperately trying to trace the children of a a Stephen Love (bn Ash area 1800). Stephen was transported for bigamy 1833 and stated he had 3 children-??? was one of these a Richard Love bn 1825 Graveney?? I am desperate to discover if there is a link between them. Richard in turn had a son called William bn Leeds Kent 1853???who was his mother??? any help gratefully received.

Pamela

Pamela Report 31 Jan 2015 16:58

Hi Ingrid, I think I may be able to help you! Stephen Love was my Great, Great Grandfather! Around 1800 he married Sara Page, but she soon left him for another. He didn't hear from her for a long while and presumed her dead. He married his 2nd wife and they had 3 children. They all kept the surname Love after his deportation to Australia. My Great Grandfather, Richard Love, was his son. His second wife returned to her gypsy family (surname Silk) and brought up the children. When Stephen was recognised by the vicar from his 1st marriage (who knew that Sara was still alive) he was reported for bigamy! My great Grandfather, Richard Love, lived in a gypsy tent for the first 9 years of his life. He became a shepherd and worked all over Kent, never staying put for more than 2 years. His wife,Florence (nee Farmer) came to Kent from Shropshire with the Women's Land Army. She met Richard through his sister, who took her under her wing when she arrived in Kent. Richard & Florrie had 7 children : Richard, Brian, Peter, Brenda, Ivy, Pam, and Winnifred (my nan).

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Jan 2015 17:02

Hi there Pamela - Ingrid posted a long long time ago - 2002 - and won't be looking for replies now. You could try to make contact with her via this site by clicking on her name to send a message, though she may no longer be a member :-)

Pamela

Pamela Report 31 Jan 2015 17:02

Brenda is the only surviving Great Aunty I have on my dad's side now and it's through her that we know so much about Stephen!
My Nan, Winnifred, married Eric Christian in 1945 and had 4 children - Bernard (my Dad) born 1946, Valerie, Linda and Colin.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Jan 2015 18:43

we posted at the same time so you might not have read my posting

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jan 2015 19:32

If Richard Love was born around 1825 to Stephen Love, he cant have married a Florence Farmer who was in the "Womens land army" surely? :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jan 2015 19:45

Ethel W Love who married Eric Christian, her mother's maiden name was Forrest not Farmer

Marriages Dec 1922 (>99%)
FORREST Florence Love Blean 2a 2216
LOVE Richard Forrest Blean 2a 2216

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jan 2015 20:04

Missing out one generation in the info above?

NAME: Richard Love
AGE IN 1911: 37
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1874
BIRTH PLACE: Harlston, Kent
CIVIL PARISH: Birchington
COUNTY/ISLAND: Kent
STREET ADDRESS: Found In Shed, Birchington Marsho
MARITAL STATUS: Married
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Thanet
REGISTRATION DISTRICT NUMBER: 63
SUB-REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Minster
ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 5
HOUSEHOLD SCHEDULE NUMBER: 274
PIECE: 4479
HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:
NAME AGE
Jane Hollands 25
George Hollands 5
Albert Hollands 1
Albert Hollands 1
William Long 50
Richard Love 37
Caroline Love 36
Grace Love 11
Richard Love 9
Elsir Love 7
Samuel Love 4
William Love 2

NAME: Richd. Love
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1832
RELATIONSHIP TO HEAD: Head
SPOUSE: Phoebe Love
WHERE BORN: Graveney, Kent, England
CIVIL PARISH: Boughton Under Blean
COUNTY/ISLAND: Kent
STREET ADDRESS: Olenge Lane (Tent)
MARITAL STATUS: Married
EDUCATION:

EMPLOYMENT STATUS:

View image
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Faversham
SUB REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Boughton
ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 7
NEIGHBORS: View others on page
PIECE: 966
FOLIO: 78
PAGE NUMBER: 32
HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:
NAME AGE
Richd. Love 49
Phoebe Love 44
Elizabeth Love 14
Sansperella Love 12
Mary Ann Grace Love 10
Sampson Love 8
Richd. Love 6
Thos.Geo. Love 2

Ingrid

Ingrid Report 29 Apr 2015 07:32

Hello Pamela, I have only just come across your comment as I rarely use this site any longer. Anyhow, what I know: Stephen Love born 1793; is transported in 1833 for a bigamous marriage in 1831 to Mary Ann Silk. In his court/hulk records it is recorded he has 3 children (2 sons, 1 daughter). I have never been able to confirm the names of these children.
A Richard Love (according to census records,born about 1829 in Graveney), marries in Canterbury in 1856; and on this record it is stated, his father to be a Stephen Love and I believe it to be the above Stephen. I have never found a baptism record for a Richard s/o a Stephen Love.
Richard married (very briefly) a Mary Ann Bray, and following her death, enters a lifelong relationship with a Phoebe Scamp. Richard and Phoebe have a son called Richard and eventually a grandson called Richard, whom marries a Florence Forrest in 1922- this being your connection!
My connection is: Richard and Mary Ann Bray have 3 sons, William, Amos and Richard. Richard dies in the same year as his birth 1858 (same time as his mother). I then pick Richard, William and Amos up in Reculver on the 1861 Census. William (said to be born about 1855 Leeds, Kent) is my great grandfather. And again I have never found a birth/baptismal record for a William s/o Richard.
My questions are:
Why do you believe the children to be of his 2nd marriage? Can you say how you know Mary Ann Silk took over the care of Stephen 3 children?, Do you know the children s' name? You say Stephen's 1st wife (Sarah Page married 1816) left him for another man - do you know anymore? What became of her? Really looking forward to hearing from you, in anticipation I can shatter a 17 year old brickwall . Regards Ingrid

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Apr 2015 09:52

Ingrid

Pamela hasn't commented on the info posted.

A better idea would be to send a PM..........

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Apr 2015 14:50

message sent to Pamela :-)