Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel Charles Millington (1861-1905)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melanie

Melanie Report 15 Jul 2024 03:56

Good morning all,
I am trying to find where my great grandfather is buried.
He died on 17th November, 1905 in the Royal Infirmary Hospital, Hull according to his death certificate, There was a newspaper article in the Hull Daily Mail about a accidental fall from a cab which caused his death.
I would assume that since he died in Hull, my ggrandfather is buried somewhere in Hull.
Any assistance, advice and help in finding his final resting place would be gratefully appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Melanie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jul 2024 08:24

Check out Find a Grave and deceased on line. If that fails then the Cemetries Officer at the council should be able to find it.

He died in hospital and is more like,y to be buried in the area he was living in with his family.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2024 09:20

In 1901, his address was Baker Street, Sculcoates (a suburb of Hull).

No record on deceasedonline

Jink20

Jink20 Report 15 Jul 2024 11:13

"In 1859, the Hull Board of Health purchased it's first cemetery, a section of the land owned by the Hull Cemetery Company on Spring Bank, which was later extended to become the Western Cemetery. 1873 saw a second cemetery opened on Hedon Road. Another cemetery on Hedon Road was opened in 1894 with a crematorium built in 1901. Northern Cemetery and Eastern Cemetery were opened in 1915 and 1931 respectively"

Hull City Council cemetery records

https://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/catalogue/C-TBC?tab=description

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jul 2024 11:21

So which of those are anywhere near the Sculcoates address?

For instance - you have not listed Sculcoates North Cemetry.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2024 11:34

The Northern Cemetery wasn't opened until 1915.

The Western Cemetery is nearest to Baker Street - about 2 miles WNW.
Hedon Road is about 3 miles east.

Of course, he may have been buried with family elsewhere.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2024 11:45

Western Cemetery burial registers 1861 - 1994 are available to view by "accredited readers" on microfilm at the Hull History Centre.

They offer a research service, for a non-refundable fee:

https://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/research/research-service/enquiry-service.aspx

You would have to decide if it's worth the fee only to find, perhaps, that he's not buried there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2024 11:49

OP knows his 1901 address...........on her tree on Ancestry :-S :-S

Details of widow's grave also on the tree

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2024 12:02

No record on FindaGrave in Sculcoates Sacristy Cemetery - or in Western Cemetery

Sculcoates Lane North opened in the 1890's, but no result for Millington

Bear in mind that not all memorials in any given cemetery have been recorded and/or photographed...................................

From FindaGrave

Sculcoates Lane North Cemetery

This cemetery was consecrated for burials in the 1890s and was the third burial ground for the Church of England Sculcoates parishes. Other cemeteries used to bury Sculcoates parishioners were the St Mary Churchyard (closed in 1855) and the Sculcoates Sacristy Cemetery on the south side of Sculcoates Lane (opened in 1818). Part of Sculcoates Lane North Cemetery was set aside for use by the Sculcoates Union Workhouse and a few memorial stones from workhouse burials are still present. The Sculcoates Lane North Cemetery was closed to burials sometime after WW2 and had become overgrown and derelict. A local community group has done some work in recent years to remove the overgrowth.

The best place to find burial records for the Sculcoates Lane North Cemetery is likely Church of England parish registers deposited in the East Riding Archives (The Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley HU17 9BQ). Burials from Sculcoates All Saints Church (from 1818), Sculcoates St Mary (from 1872) and Sculcoates St Paul (from 1846) registers likely took place in the Sculcoates Lane cemeteries. The All Saints and St Paul churches did not have a churchyard cemetery and the St Marys Churchyard cemetery was closed to burials in 1855.

A number of other churches were built for the Church of England Sculcoates parishes in the 19th century. Christ Church on Worship St opened 26 September 1822 but was demolished in 1962 after being heavily damaged by bombing in WW2. St Philip Church was built in 1882 at the corner of Charlotte Street and Paradise Row. It was established as its own parish, but the church was badly damaged by WW2 bombing and demolished in 1941. St Silas, (Barmston Street) was built in 1870 but closed in 1967 and the building demolished in 1968. Separate parish registers for these churches have been deposited in the East Riding Archives but they do not appear to contain burial information.

The East Yorkshire Family History Society (Carnegie Heritage Centre, 342 Anlaby Road, Kingston upon Hull, HU3 6JA) also has a listing of the monument inscriptions for Sculcoates parish.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2024 12:25

Widow was buried in St Peter & St Leonard Churchyard, Horbury - but not showing on Findagrave.

Melanie

Melanie Report 15 Jul 2024 14:45

After my g grandfather died, my ggrandmother moved to Horbury where most of her family were at the time.
I have been trying to find where my ggrandfather is buried for some years now, but without success.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2024 14:50

You've been given a number of suggestions for where to look................................that's all anyone can do for you

Melanie

Melanie Report 15 Jul 2024 15:08

Many thanks for all your had work.
Very much appreciated.
Melanie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2024 15:24

Hope you get a positive outcome

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2024 17:20

Perhaps he was cremated, in which case there will be no grave to find, though possibly a small plaque.

If so, at that time it would have been at Hedon Road Crematorium, which closed in the 1960s.

There's a wall where ashes were interred - see photos:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1283083?section=comments-and-photos

The Hull History Centre (link posted earlier) has Hedon Road burial registers on microfilm. I don't know if that would include cremation records.