Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Walton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Oct 2020 22:49

My grandmother, Annie Crossley, became pregnant in 1919 whilst working near Darrington which is near Pontefract in Yorkshire.
Apparently the father was a soldier name of Thomas Walton. It transpired he was engaged to somebody else so my dear gran had my mum, brought her up and cared for her parents until they passed away. She never married.
A sad story. Tom contributed financially to my mother's upbringing. We like to think he had information about her as she was growing up.
I wonder if anybody may have heard or be aware of this story. Unlikely I know but you never know. Thank You

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Oct 2020 10:06

I'm afraid it's almost certain that nobody who reads your post will know about this story.
Not many people look at these boards.

Even if it 's possible to trace any living relatives of Tom, it might be inadvisable to make contact, as his family might not know about your mum's existence, even though he was contributing financially.

It could be a tricky situation, risking causing distress.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Oct 2020 10:23

If he contributed financially is there any way you could find out how the money was passed to your grandmother? She may have had to collect it from a solicitors or a bank. There may be a paper trail which could have details of Thomas but somehow I think it's unlikely as all this happened over 100 years ago.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2020 11:11

I think it would be very unwise to pursue this in any way.

What would you hope to gain by doing so?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Oct 2020 14:03

I have met up with family of my dad's half siblings that he knew nothing about and also relatives of my grandmother. These people knew nothing about us but we have helped each other with family history and simply adding to our knowledge of family.

It was all a long time ago and not everyone gets upset about what can't be changed. We just found it all very interesting.

Kath. x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Oct 2020 19:59

If you're looking for relatives of Tom, your best bet would be a DNA test. Hopefully, you could trace some of his grand children.

Rose