Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Isabella Wilson Alexander 1939??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcus

Marcus Report 19 Nov 2019 09:05

Hi, I am trying to find Isabella Wilson Alexander (Nee Wilkinson) in 1939. She is my Great Grandmother on my mother's side.

She may be living somewhere in Gateshead, Co. Durham OR Benton, near Newcastle upon Tyne.

If at Benton, she is probably living with her son Gordon Alexander who was b1921 and in RAF.

Isabella was born 1884 Gateshead. Her husband, George David Alexander died 1937 aged 49/50 years old.

Any help finding Isabella most welcome !!

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Nov 2019 09:44

A possibility??

1939 Register logo

33 Haig Avenue, Whitley Bay U.D., Northumberland, England

Alexander household
(1 person)
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Isabella Alexander 02 May 1884 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 49 1
Ref: RG101/3003D/004/43 Letter Code: GCWV
© Findmypast Ltd

There is a note written in green by her name 13.9.1959 D (so ? date of death)

Did Isabella die 1959 - a Q3 death aged 75 would "fit" a dob of May '1884
First name(s) ISABELLA W
Last name ALEXANDER
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1884
Age 75
Death quarter 3
Death year 1959
District Durham Central
County Durham
Volume 1A
Page 230
Country England

Marcus

Marcus Report 19 Nov 2019 09:49

Thanks Greyghost - that's her !!

So, it was Haig Avenue, Whitley Bay and not Benton after all !!!!!

Thanks again!!

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Nov 2019 09:54

George's death reg. says he was 49

First name(s) GEORGE D
Last name ALEXANDER
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1888
Age 49
Death quarter 1
Death year 1937
District Durham
County Durham
Volume 10A
Page 478

? His probate - George David Alexander of 20 Homeland Crescent, Franwellgate Moor Co Durham died 23 February 1937 Probate Durham 25 March to Edith Carson widow and John Edward Brown Solicitor

Not seeing a probate record for Isabella + 4 years

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Nov 2019 09:55

Trigger happy Marcus - LOL, perhaps you could delete the odd reply or two?

Marcus

Marcus Report 19 Nov 2019 10:47

Apologies ! Have now deleted some 'extra' replies...… Don't quite know what happened there?

Anyway, thanks for the extra post. That is my Great Grandfather.

An extra question - can anyone find who was living at 3, Farm Cottages, Benton, Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1939.

Isabella's son Gordon b1921, in a document found on Ancestry, states he was sailing from Iceland back to Glasgow in August 1941 and the address in Benton was given.

He was described as a 'Government Official'.

So, who was at this Benton address in 1939??

Any clues?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Nov 2019 12:23

For our reference:

Gordon R M Alexander
in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: Gordon R M Alexander
Port of Departure: Reykjavik, Iceland
Arrival Date: 30 Aug 1941
Port of Arrival: Glasgow, Scotland
Ports of Voyage: Reykjavik
Ship Name: Leopoldville
Shipping Line: Companie Belge Maritime de Congo
Official Number: 120

It would have been helpful if the record had specified which farm the cottages belonged to !

I can't see any such address in 1939.

The only address with any farm cottages mentioned (so far as I can see) is East Benton Farm Cottages , which seem to be on Elmfield Gardens - but that's in Wallsend, apparently.

Six households in East Benton Farm Cottages, without numbers.
Robert & Jane Nealley;
George Latimer & Isabella Smith;
Margaret & Jane Moffitt;
William B Roper & family;
Thomas Harlow;
Thomas & Margaret Hebson.

That's when entering Benton as the place of residence.
Putting in Newcastle upon Tyne produces more addresses containing the words "farm Cottages" - but all including names of farms , not just "Farm Cottages".

Searching with Longbenton as place name brings up another lot of people living on farms or in farm cottages - but again, no address just "Farm Cottages".

EDIT:
In Longbenton, there's 1 & 2 Farm Cottages - but no number 3, if that's even the correct lot of farm cottages.
At no 1, there's Robert D Wilson Sr and family.
At no 2, there's Isaac & Elizabeth Mossop, and Francis & Sarah Hakin (?).

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Nov 2019 12:32

Gordon's death -

Gordon R M Alexander
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Gordon R M Alexander
Death Age: 20
Birth Date: abt 1922
Registration Date: Jan 1942
[Feb 1942]
[Mar 1942]
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Totnes
Inferred County: Devon
Volume: 5b
Page: 458

Flight Sergeant (Air Gunner)ALEXANDER, GORDON REDVERS MITCHELL
Service Number 630576
Died 22/02/1942
Aged 20
16 Sqdn.
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Son of George David Alexander, and of Isabella Wilson Alexander, of Low Pittington, Co. Durham.

(From CWGC site )

Marcus

Marcus Report 19 Nov 2019 21:32

Thanks ArgyllGran for the posts.

You have posted the ship details that I have found sailing to Glasgow in August, 1941.

Thanks also for searching for Farm Cottages !! Longbenton, Benton & East Benton are not too far apart from each other. It could be either of them.

There was an RAF Base at Longbenton, so I guess Gordon may have been stationed there initially and living close by was necessary.

I know that Isabella and family were living at various addresses in Durham City up to 1938. By 1939 she moves to Haig Avenue, Whitely Bay, I guess to be near to her son Gordon (Possibly at Longbenton ??).

Her other 2 sons were also in Armed Services. Her daughter (Gladys, my Grandmother) had married in 1938 and was living in Pittington, Co. Durham - hence reference to Pittington in your post.

Apparently Gordon was living with his father (Parents had separated, but not divorced by the late 1930's due to various reasons) and found his father dead on the floor. Cannot have been easy for a 15 / 16 yr old.

I find it a sad fact that Gordon died 1 day short of 5 years after his father, George David Alexander passed in 1937.

Apologies for rambling, but just want to find anything I can on this side of the family.