Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find Criminal Mug Shots

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 22 Sep 2019 13:10

Hi, I have some people in my tree that can be found in Criminal Registers.

Some people manage to find photos. Am I doing something wrong as I can't find any criminal photos of anyone?

Can anyone find a photo of Albert Warren? He was born 1866
He is in the registers for 18th Jan 1889 Stealing 50lbs of Lead, the goods of William Walker Goode. (6 Months at Pentonville Prison)

Can anyone find a photo of William Thomas Efferion born 1886. He is mentioned twice in the registers 1913 & 1920.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Angela

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Sep 2019 13:16

Not all criminal records have a mugshot, which site are you looking at please? for instance FMP has the record for Efferion 1913 but no photo.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Sep 2019 13:55

Ancestry has this record of Albert - but maybe not the same Albert - different trial date.
No photo:

Albert Warren
in the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Name: Albert Warren
Date of Trial: 4 Feb 1889
Trial Year: 1889
Location of Trial: Middlesex, England
Sentence: Imprisonment
[ 6 months for larceny and receiving ]

And this - again, maybe a different person:

Albert Warren
in the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Name: Albert Warren
Date of Trial: 25 Nov 1891
Trial Year: 1891
Location of Trial: Essex, England
Sentence: Imprisonment
[ 10 days imprisonment, and 5 years in a certified reformatory school, for cattle maiming.]

The record you mention isn't on Ancestry.

No mention of William Thomas Efferion's crime on Ancestry.

However, someone appears to have a photo of him on a private tree on Ancestry

Angela

Angela Report 22 Sep 2019 21:42

The records I have, came from Find My Past. I have looked on Ancestry and have a tree on Ancestry. The Criminal Records on Ancestry aren't as good as Find My Past.

Has anyone seen Who Do You Think You Are, Series 16.8. Mark Wright?

I have been trying to figure out how the researcher got Edward Wright Mug Shots.

Dick Hobbs (East End Historian & Criminologist) supplies a copy of a page from The Police Gazette and a separate sheet with mug shots. The Police Gazette doesn't look like a newspaper.

I've been Googling all sorts of stuff trying to work out how to get something like that.

Any ideas?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Sep 2019 21:48

"The National Police Library holds all issues of The Police Gazette from the late 18th century to 2017. As more recent issues of this publication contain restricted information, only serving UK police can access recent issues via the library.

At least 61% of the total run of issues from 1772 to 1900 survives, archived by the initiative of local police forces, as well as by the British Library.
Many of the Supplements between 1914 and 1965 also survive.
It is also possible to purchase back issues online, dating back to one hundred years ago and earlier. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Gazette_(Great_Britain_and_Ireland)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Sep 2019 21:50

WDYTYA researchers can have access to things we mere private amateur researchers can't.

"The National Police Library in the United Kingdom is classed as a special library and research library, and accessible to current serving police and police staff in the United Kingdom."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Police_Library

You could try writing to the National Police Library - see what they say - worth a try!

National Police Library
College of Policing,
Leamington Road,
Ryton-on-Dunsmore,
CV8 3EN

Dea

Dea Report 22 Sep 2019 21:55

FMP has lots of articles etc from the Police Gazette in it's British Newspaper collection but not every criminal had a mugshot in there.

'Your man' William Thomas Efferion / (Afferion on his army records) was apparently quite a well known boxer known as 'Bill' Efferion - you might try looking for old boxing magazines from around 1900 to 1910 ?

Some details on this site but no photo:
http://www.boxinghistory.org.uk/Boxer_Bill_Efferion_Custom_House.htm

Dea x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Sep 2019 08:59

WDYTYA has a lot to answer for!

Gives the impression that 200 years of FH can be accessed in a few hours and that ALL records are readily available to the public, when in fact most of them are not

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Sep 2019 11:28

That Edward Wright was below I think, (another article referred to him being 'Wrighty')

Chris :)

09 August 1918 - Police Gazette - London, London, England

THE POLICE GAZETTE. PORTMITS (Portraits on image) OF PERSONS WANTED

Angela

Angela Report 24 Sep 2019 14:02

I wish Who Do You Think You Are would show how they got their documents.

I get the feeling they do a lot of private handshakes to get what they want for the show.

Well I've sent a message to the Police Library. They sent me an automated reply saying they will reply within 5 days.

Angela

Angela Report 4 Oct 2019 11:41

Well it's been over 5 days. Nobody replies :-(

Angela

Angela Report 15 Oct 2019 16:01

Well it's taken 3 weeks for a reply.

Their reply to me was.....

Thanks for your email and sorry for the late reply. We do not have the manpower at the moment to provide you with the information you want and we are based on a secure site, but the Police Gazette is freely available online from the British Library at ‘the British Newspaper Archive’. Hopefully you will get what you need from them.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Oct 2019 16:06

"Freely available" apart from a subscription - 1 year at £6.67 per month; 3 months at £8.64 per month, or 1 month for £12.95.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Oct 2019 16:45

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1900-01-01/1949-12-31?retrievecountrycounts=false&newspapertitle=police%2bgazette&sortorder=dayearly

(not sure 1920 is online yet)

Chris :)

(might be there wasn't one!)