Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 7 Jul 2019 17:01

I am try to find a military record for William John Lewis, found one with a wife Edith,his wife was an Edith but unsure if it is him because it was down as being airman , the photo we have of him looks like an army uniform. The information I have found was a service number of 138036. He got married in Gloucester England but unsure if he went to Wales to sign up in the 1914-18 war. His wife maiden name was Nash. Appreciate any help ,thankyou

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jul 2019 17:17

You do realise that only about 30% of the records for servicemen in WW1 are still in existence, and that many of those are incomplete and badly damaged, don't you?

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2019 17:25

Is this the record you found? From find My Past

If you check the image he was firstly in the Army from 1.5.15 (aged 27)and transferred to the Royal Flying Corps 1.3.18 and to the RAF 1.4.18.

He was Discharged unfit 28.1.19 with amputated 2nd finger Right hand and hernia to 20 Brook Street, Gloucester. Awarded silver War Badge 22.3.19

He married Edith Lewis 12.1.1914 in Gloucester and she was his NOK on the documents - of 10 East View, ?Gufach, Bargoed

The occupation below in the transcript is his civilian occupation. Page 2 of the images would seem to imply he was a Sergeant and his trade was Disciplinarian as does the image of RAF Muster Roll 1918 also found on FMP.

British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939

First name(s) William John
Last name Lewis
Birth year 1887
Birth date 20 Aug 1887
Occupation Dental Surgeon
Attestation year 1915
Attestation date 05 Jan 1915
Attestation age 27
Service number 138036
Marriage year 1914
Marriage date 12 Jan 1914
Spouse's first name(s) Edith
Child's first name(s) Reginald Lawrence
Child's birth date 09 Jun 1914
Archive reference AIR 79/1240
Next of kin first name(s) Edith,Reginald Lawrence
Next of kin last name Lewis
Record set British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & Service Records
Collections from Great Britain, UK None
© DC Thomson Family History

John

John Report 7 Jul 2019 21:12

Thankyou so so much Greyghost, he was my grandad that I never met because my grandparents separated when my dad was young. I was always told he lost his finger when he was at his dental practice when he went out at lunch time and had too much to drink came back and blew his finger off with a gulverniser. So this account tells it differently. Never realised he was in the RAF. My dad his son Reginald Lewis was killed in 1943 in a Lanc over Holland. His father William was still alive. I have been looking for information about Grandad for years, his family in Wales wouldn’t give us any information about him, unsure when he died but believe about 1959 ish according to a list on Ancestry, I got married in 1959, 60 yrs next week actually. Always felt sad my brother and I never knew him. Thank you once again you have made my day. Is it possible to find a death for him, I have bought 2 death certs of a William John Lewis but the wrong ones.

John

John Report 7 Jul 2019 21:39

Yes SilviainCanada. About 20yrs ago some Morman friends of ours came over on a mission from Salt Lake for a year and they were working on the Military records from WW1 micro filming them, they managed to get passes for my wife and I to visit the establishment for a couple of hours. They had to try and film records that were not too badly burnt. It was a privilege for us, So to think my Grandads record has been found intact is truely amazing for me.

Dea

Dea Report 7 Jul 2019 21:52

Do you know whereabouts in the Country he may have died?

He was in Shropshire in 1939:

William J Lewis's life in 1939
Derfald House Hostel Derfald Street, Shrewsbury M.B., Shropshire, England
First name(s) Last name(s) Birth year DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
William J Lewis 1887 20 Aug 1887 Male Dental Mechanic Single 152 17
Ref: RG101/5185C/013/1 Letter Code: OIMB

Dea x

safc

safc Report 7 Jul 2019 21:55

????

Record Transcription:
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

First name(s) WILLIAM
Last name LEWIS
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1887
Age 78
Death quarter 4
Death year 1965
District Shrewsbury
County Shropshire
Volume 9A
Page 188
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jul 2019 21:57

Edith's death:

Edith Mary Lewis
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Edith Mary Lewis
Death Age: 92
Birth Date: 24 Feb 1893
Registration Date: Nov 1985
Registration district: Gloucester
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 22
Page: 1954

There's only one Edith M Lewis with that DOB in the 1939 Register, but she's listed as single, living in Dursley.
However, the S for "single" has been scored through in red - so maybe that's her after all.

[ EDIT: Oh yes, you said they had separated. ]

William is also listed as single in 1939:

William J Lewis
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: William J Lewis
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: 20 Aug 1887
Residence Year: 1939
Address: Derfald Hse Hostel
Residence Place: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Schedule Number: 152
Sub Schedule Number: 17
OVSPI: L
Enumeration District: OIMB
Registration district: 349-2

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2019 22:37

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

probate record - ???

Edith Mary Lewis of 14 Stonelea Cam, Dursley, Glos. died 22 November 1985 Probate Llandaff 9 January 1986

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2019 22:44

? 1939 register fro Edith

Gopen, The Quarry Near Dursley, Dursley R.D., Gloucestershire, England
Smetham household
(6 people)

First name(s) Last name(s) Birth year DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Vincent C Smetham 1886 20 Jun 1886 Male Sub Packer Heavy Worker Married 62 1
Dolly (M) Battcock 1909 05 Jan 1909 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 62 2
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?
Raymond Vizor 1912 22 Jan 1912 Male Machine Worker Heavy Worker Single 62 5
Edith M Lewis 1893 24 Feb 1893 Female Housekeeper Single 62 6

Ref: RG101/5092B/006/14 Letter Code: ODDF

John

John Report 7 Jul 2019 22:50

Many thanks . Yes this looks like him in Shrewsbury . Just wished we knew him, his 2 great grandchildren were born by then. How we all missed out on so much. Yes that’s my Nan Edith Mary Lewis , my brother and I were sent to live with her in Dursley during the war from Kent. Thank you once again, It is now a closure of trying to find him for so many years. Been a nightmare with the name Lewis and and his mothers name of Jones. I latched on to the wrong Lewis family for over 2 yrs before the 1911 census came out . Can now send for a death certificate.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2019 22:54

I didn't pan out wide enough on the Military documents. in the margin is written Reginald Lawrence 9.6.14 Marylebone

Freebmd has the registration as follows
Births Jun 1914 (>99%)
Lewis Reginald L Nash Marylebone 1a 980a

but the GRO site has this -
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
LEWIS, - NASH
GRO Reference: 1914 J Quarter in ST. MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 980 Occasional Copy: A

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2019 23:01

Check your inbox John - have sent a PM, hopefully with the Military documents attached, although they may be ones you've already seen?.

John

John Report 8 Jul 2019 00:25

Thank you GG, have found them. No not seen them, it’s only coming on here today that I have found him after looking for years, have they only just released the records after the 100;yrs secrecy act. Was hoping there would have been info as to what action he may have been in and more about his medical record, how his finger got cut off. His son Reginald ( my dad) was born in Marylebone. He was a school teacher but volunteered to go in the RAF, his Lanc was shot down over Holland in 1943. All 7 crew killed. We have a web site about his Lanc and crew. www.AVRO W4960. Interesting reading.