Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Thomas Macfarlane Born 1839,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gordon

Gordon Report 5 Apr 2018 13:57

I am seeking a birth date, birth location and his parents names. I have no information if George was born in Scotland, England, Wales or Ireland. There is no birth notification I can find for a George Thomas Macfarlane.

The information I have is the following;
Awarded with an Engineering Diploma from Queens College Cork in 1860 or 1861. By 1869 he was employed in the Indian PWD as an Executive Engineer and living at Meean Meer in Bengal Presidency.
He married Maria Susanna Hilliard in 30 Nov 1869 at Hoshearpore. On 15/09/1870 at Umritsar there first son was born and named George Thomas Macfarlane 2nd.. On 28/03/1872 at Lahore a second son was born and named John Gladstone Macfarlane.
On 19 Sept 1872 George Thomas died having been thrown from a horse, he was buried at Bakloh Cemetery on 21 Sept 1872.
Maria & the two boys where back in England by 1881 as they are registered as students at Bedford Modern School Bedfordshire.
Any assistance will be very much appreciated. :-)

safc

safc Report 5 Apr 2018 14:01

British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns - Marriages Transcription

Learn more
Print View image Add to tree
First name(s) George Thomas
Last name MacFarlane
Marriage year 1870
Marriage date 30 Nov 1870
Spouse's first name Maria Susan
Spouse's last name Hilliard
Place Hoshiarpur
Presidency Bengal
Groom's father's first name George
Groom's father's last name Macfarlane
Bride's father's first name Thomas
Bride's father's last name Hilliard
Catalogue description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal, : 1713-1948
Archive reference N-1-132
Folio number 91
Entry number -
Record set British India Office Marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Marriages
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Apr 2018 14:13

These are the only possibilities in Scotland - BUT I think it's more likely that he was born in Ireland, if he was at Queens College Cork.

MACFARLAN
GEORGE
GEORGE MACFARLAN/ELISABETH MAINS FR1030 (FR1030)
M
12/06/1836
572/
40 303
Neilston

MACFARLANE
GEORGE
GEORGE MACFARLANE/HELEN MACGREGOR
M
18/07/1839
312/
100 401
Montrose

MACFARLANE
GEORGE
GEORGE MACFARLANE/HELEN EMSLIE FRCH2V29
M
01/03/1840
479/
290 6
Falkirk

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Apr 2018 14:26

England, United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921
Name: George Thomas Macfarlane
Birth: abt 1840
Initiation date: 5 Apr 1869 - Lahore East Indies
First payment year on register: 1869
Profession: C Engineer
Lodge: The Lodge of Hope and Perseverance

Maddie

Maddie Report 5 Apr 2018 14:50

Name: George Thomas Macfarlane
Initiation Age: 29
Birth Year: abt 1840
Initiation Date: 5 Apr 1869
First Payment Year on Register: 1869
Year Range: 1863-1887
Profession: C Engineer
Lodge: The Lodge of Hope and Perseverance
Lodge Location: Lahore East Indies
Lodge Number: 782, 1084
Folio Number: 96
Search: Search for 'George Thomas Macfarlane' in other Freemasonry Membership Records
Learn More: Learn more about 'The Lodge of Hope and Perseverance' at Lane's Masonic Records

Gordon

Gordon Report 5 Apr 2018 19:45

From a Queens College return of 1860 listing students religions George Thomas Macfarlane was of the Established Church, In other words CofE. In 1869 he was a member of The Freemasons branch Lahore. I am tending to think based on his religion, the probability is he was born in England or Scotland. But this only a probability.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Apr 2018 20:39

???

George Thomas Mac Farland
Ireland Births and Baptisms
Name George Thomas Mac Farland
Gender Male
Christening Date 27 Nov 1839
Christening Place ADARE,LIMERICK,IRELAND
Father's Name George Mac Farland

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Apr 2018 20:53

Related ??? His mother ??

https://batchgeo.com/map/6ea8c16f1126b85bc7be08eee232ecbc

Death of Maria Mcfarlane, Upper Leeson Street, Dublin, 15/02/1866, widow of George Thomas Mcfarlane, Adare, Co Limerick.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Apr 2018 21:02

??? George T's father ???

https://tinyurl.com/y7nnb2yx

McFarland, George, Adare Cottage, 08/01/1840

At Adare Cottage, on Saturday morning, Mr George McFarland, a young gentleman very generally regretted. He retired to rest the night before in apparent good health.

Gordon

Gordon Report 6 Apr 2018 04:46

Thanks ArgyllGran for your input, date wise this looks very good but I need to be able to confirm George Thomas Mac Farland is the one and same as George Thomas Macfarlane at Queens College, Cork. Could the spelling be a typo or transcription error or educational standards were not as high as they are today thus spellings could vary?
In the meantime I have turned up a George Macfarlane born 1839 at West Derby Lancashire England Volume 20 Page 871. No mother or fathers name is provided. I have also turned up 1851 Census listing of George Macfarlane aged 13 at Richmond School. which would make George born in 1838. On the map West Derby and Richmond don't look to far apart and the dates are close but there were no cars and bitumen roads to travel on in those days. This is also intriguing I just need a tit bit more information to make a link.
As I live in Australia I am not sure where to look in Irish or British newspapers for Births Deaths & Marriages. Sadly George McFarland appears to have died at a young age 1840 not long after young George Thomas was born 1839. Also because of his fathers early death did George Thomas have any brothers or sisters.
Your input would be most appreciated.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Apr 2018 07:30

There is below...

Chris :)

Surname MACFARLANE
Given Names G T
Death Date no dates
Age 10 mths
Inscription G.T. Macfarlane, died aged 10 months
"Baklon Cemetery, Gurdaspur District, Punjab" in "Inscriptions Volume 3" Church/ Cemetery Baklon Cemetery, Gurdaspur District, Punjab

https://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_person_search.php

(Families In British India Society)

For Newspapers, you need below, all subscription based...

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

(Find My Past, or Genes)

12 October 1861 - Irish Times - Dublin, Dublin, Republic of Ireland

THE QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY IN IRELAND
Diploma in Civil Engineering
George Thomas Macfarlane, Cork

Edits (looking at image of below, Baptism 16th October 1870 Born 15th September 1870)

British India Office Births & Baptisms (Find My Past)

George Thomas MacFarlane 1870 1870 Amritsar Bengal George Thomas/Maria Susan.

08 January 1840 - Limerick Chronicle - Limerick, Limerick, Republic of Ireland

Death
At Adare Cottage, on Saturday morning. Mr. George M'Farland, a young gentleman very generally regretted. He retired to rest the night before in apparent good health.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Apr 2018 09:51

Re spelling, you'll find lots of different spellings of many names in the course of family tree research.

Some because of lack of education; many people wouldn't know how their name was supposed to be spelled; different people (officials, clerks, etc writing a name told to them by an uneducated person, for instance) would spell a name the way it sounded to them; different accents would result in different spellings; there wasn't so much standardisation of spelling as there is now.

Variations of this particular name include:
MacFarlane, MacFarlain, MacFarlan, MacFarland, MacParlan, MacParland, MacPartland, MacPartlin, MacPharlane, MacPharlin, MacPharlan - and others.

And any of them might have Mc at the beginning instead of Mac, again depending on who was writing it.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Apr 2018 09:55

Perhaps the Cork college archives could help?

Link here:

https://www.ucc.ie/en/ocla/univarch/faqsarchives/

"The University Archives of University College Cork holds records that document the history of the University, its management, staff and students from its foundation in 1849 to the present day."

Gordon

Gordon Report 6 Apr 2018 13:36

Thank you Chris for your input, pointing me in the direction of sites I have not seen before. No doubt they will be a great source of further information on G T Macfarlane.

Thankyou ArgyllGran for your terriffic help in breaking through a brick wall to identify a birth date, location and parents for George Thomas Macfarlane. Access to Queens College maybe the link I need to match your input with a family document listing Degrees & Diplomas achieved in 1861 and handed down through the Macfarlane generations to myself.
I just wish I had shown an interest in this subject when some of my ancestors where still alive. The interesting thing is I have never heard any storys of my family having Irish born ancestors.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Apr 2018 10:15

New follow-on thread:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1371571

It might have been better to keep everything on one thread, Gordon - although the new thread is really about Alexander Jack, in spite of the title.