Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SAIL(S) SAILE(S) SALE(S) and SAYLE(S)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lewis

Lewis Report 12 Mar 2018 16:00

I am doing a one name study of these names (British references only, so far) and am seeking information to further my study. Am also willing to share information with any person with any of these surnames in their trees

Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Mar 2018 16:29

To find details of people with the names in their trees on GR, look under 'search' at top right, and select search all member trees

Click on a tree-owner's name to send a message through GR

If you need specific help, post the details of your query and members will assist where possible

StellaG

StellaG Report 27 Apr 2018 21:15

Hi Lewis

Although you say you are doing a one-name study, I notice the name SAYLE is not registered with the One Name Guild. http://one-name.org/surnames_A-Z/?initial=S

But, anyway, my maternal grandmother was a Sayle, her father was George Sayle b about 1875, possibly in Sandringham.

What info do you have?

My email address is [email protected] in case it's easier to be in direct email contact.

x Stella

Ralph

Ralph Report 14 May 2018 22:22

My Sayle surname is a Manx name... casually I've read it's a north Manx surname. Also, I've read the historic centre of the Sayle name was around Andreas. However, my family's roots are in the nearby village of Bride, in the NorthEast of the island.

Migration over the last century plus has moved many Manx Sayles to the west coast of the UK and then beyond. In particular, I have relatives in Barrow on Furness, Lancaster, Blackpool, Liverpool and Birkenhead.

One humorous origin of the name Sayle was caused by the US immigration encouraging eastern Europeans to "Americanize" their surnames. Someone told me that her grandfather dropped the "ski" from his name and became a "Sayle".

"Why?" she told me? 'He picked a name that hardly anyone can pronounce properly or even spell. Sayleski is so straightforward."