Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for information on Janet Cornford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 05:17

Hi all
Have hit a brick wall, I am seeking information about Janet Cornford. She was born to Beatrice Gwendoline Cornford (Funnell) and Roland Cornford around 1938. We assumed that she may have married Dennis W Roberts around 1961 and had a daughter named Shiralee but the spelling is also Sheralee on the birth cert in 1963. I have these peoples contact but they are not keen to respond or haven't got the messages. BUT I am stuck as to whether we have the right Janet as there is no trace of her anywhere else.

She was taken by the Cornford side to be raised she may have gone with Roland's sister Katie born 1914 to Ellen Kemp and Roland senior. It seems these guys (Beatrice in particular) were the black sheep of the family and information on them is very limited compared to others in the family line.

It would be nice to find more info on her as she is my aunt and no one knows from my side what happened to her. Any ideas appreciated.

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 05:48

Just for Clarification this is around Sussex, England possibly Hailstrom/Eastbourne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Feb 2018 06:38

Someone else on this site seems to have Janet on their tree. Have you contacted them?
Shiralee too seems to have Janet listed.

Find names by going to SEARCH (top right of screen ) and click on Search All Member Trees.
You can write to them privately and if they still have the same e mail address used to register on this site, GR will send them a message to alert them to the reply.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 Feb 2018 06:38

Note the flowers left by 'Sherri' to her Grandad

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/59721114
--------------------------

Using the link above if you click on Sherri's name it will give you her e-mail.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 Feb 2018 07:53

Cornford Household (7 People) Farm Cottage , Hailsham R.D., Sussex, England

Roland (Ronald) Cornford 04 Apr 1913 Male Cowman Married
Beatrice Gwendoline Arbuary (Cornford) 04 Nov 1917 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Sorry, this record is officially closed.
George Longbottom 27 Aug 1928 Male At School Single
David Longbottom 02 Aug 1930 Male At School Single
----------------------------

Looks like the Arbuary name was entered into the register in 1947 (CLA= Croydon), it was later changed back to Cornford in 1954

There's a possible entry for Beatrice in 1945 Birmingham (electoral register) and on the New Zealand electoral registers from 1972

This is her death:

New Zealand death index Transcription
First name(s) Beatrice Gwendoline
Last name Cornford
Birth date 04/11/1917
Age at death 75
Registration year 1992
Registration number 1992/32823
Country New Zealand
Record set New Zealand Death Index

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 Feb 2018 08:12

Sussex Agricultural Express 26 April 1940

To Whom it may Concern
I, Rowland Cornford of Leyhurst Cottage, Hellingly, hereby give notice that I will not be responsible for any debts incurred by my wife, Beatrice Gwendoline Cornford, whensoever or howsoever incurred.

Dated this 24th day of April 1940.
R. Cornford

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 08:51

Wow thank you yes have all that and have attempted to contact both Sherri and Shiralee (two different names) I'm convinced they are the people I am after I sought out their information from the UK phone book texted them and are about to write I have contacted them via genes reunited and ancestry but no reply.

I do have an address to send a letter so that is next on the agenda. Yes that was my nanna Beatrice, she did migrate to NZ but I did not see the Birmingham electoral register so will look into that.

Thank you soooo much :)

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Feb 2018 11:25

Gray,
If you want to make sure that the Janet Cornford that married Dennis W Roberts is your Janet, then I would suggest buying a copy of their marriage certificate. This should give you her father's name and his occupation which should confirm, or not, if is your Janet.
Good luck

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 11:49

Thankyou Catherine will do.

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 11:59

Thanks to everyone for your info, it’s all really helpful, some of it l had but some of it has helped to fill the missing gaps. Thanks heaps.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 Feb 2018 12:22

I've pm'd a possible remarriage for Janet and a current address. If you need me explain further, just let me know.

Gray

Gray Report 20 Feb 2018 06:49

Thank you Austin awesome info and so helpful have responded. I've sent a letter to the address, will let you know what happens! :)