Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marie Bishop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 18 Feb 2017 16:57

I am trying to find any details on a Marie Bishop who I believe was born in 1911/12 in Southampton. Her father was Walter Bishop who was a Steward and died on the Titanic. She is not on the 1911 Census but is mentioned in the Titanic Relief Fund as baby Marie Bishop. Have not been able to find a birth certificate or any information whatsoever. Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks Sue.

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Feb 2017 17:10

What was her Mother's name? Do you know if the parents married?

May be registered under Mother's name if parents not married when born - or just registered as Female Bishop if name not decided on at the time - or may not have been born in the area you think.

Also Marie could be a second name by which she was known.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 17:52

Walter Alexander Bishop had two wives , one son, and 2 step-children, according to this:

https://tinyurl.com/zlnr9lw

No mention of a Maria.

EDIT:
Yes, she's mentioned in Note 2 at the bottom of the article.

Martha Dabell, nee Castelman, would have been his wife c1911.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 18:02

(From The Titanic Relief Fund booklet March 1913).

C 335. Bishop, Martha, Widow. Bishop, Winifred Elizabeth, Child. Bishop, Walter James, child. Bishop, Edward Percy, child. Bishop, Maria. child. All class B dependants.

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Feb 2017 18:12

AG - the references you have found show Maria not Marie and Child not baby.

So is the OP not quite correct?

From the article it would appear there has never been any record found about her as a child of Walter and his wife Martha.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 18:19

The children are listed in the Titanic Relief Booklet in order of age, so Maria / Marie must have been born 1905-13.

But indeed, there seems to be no sign of her on GRO - even if her first name was actually something different..
Also no sign of her on FreeBMD, if (perish the thought!) she was Martha's daughter by someone else, and registered in the father's name.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 18:31

The family in 1911 - so presumably she was born after the census date.
The census form says Martha had had three children - was she including Walter, her stepson?

Walter Bishop
in the 1911 England Census
Name: Walter Bishop
Age in 1911: 32
Estimated birth year: abt 1879
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Civil Parish: Shirley
County/Island: Hampshire
Street address: 93 Paynes Road, Southampton, Hants
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Southampton
Registration District Number: 99
Sub-registration district: Southampton Western
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Household schedule number: 117
Piece: 6009
Household Members:
Name Age
Walter Bishop 32
Martha Bishop 31
Winifred Dabell 10
Walter Bishop 7
Edward Dabell 5

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Feb 2017 18:36

Could she have been born around the time that Walter died and registration got forgotten in all the grief etc?

Susan

Susan Report 18 Feb 2017 18:48

Thank you all so much for your quick responses. You have all found what I have managed to find. I can only assume she was born around the time Walter died and Martha forgot to register her. I am completely lost as to how I go about finding any more information. Is it possible to register a birth years later? Have not been able to find a marriage for her either or find if her mother remarried so her name possibly changed to her stepfather. Any hints or ideas I would be so grateful. Sue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 18:55

The biography of Walter - I posted the link above - says Martha didn't remarry.

This is another instance when the 1921 census may be helpful - to see if Marie/Maria's on it!

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Feb 2017 19:02

Martha in 1939 with Winifred. The Titanic article says that Winifred had no children. There appear to be 3 closed records at the same address. Evacuees, relatives, child minding?
Gatehouse Household (2 People)
Dyke Cottage Sea Way , Chichester R.D., Sussex, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Martha Bishop 03 Jan 1880 Female Unpd Domc Duties Widowed 108 2
Winifred E Gatehouse 03 Dec 1900 Female Unpd Domc Duties Married 108 1
Ref: RG101/2620D/014/10 Letter Code: ENEE

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2017 21:35

The Titanic article says Walter's widowed mother also benefitted from the relief fund.

Her name was Maria Bishop.

Is it possible someone made a mistake, and recorded her as Walter's child instead of his mother ??

Minute Book 1 is missing - don't know what was in that.
https://tinyurl.com/grlbrnq

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2017 21:48

Marriages Mar 1903 (>99%)
Bartlett Rose Southampton 2c 41
Bishop Walter Alexander Southampton 2c 41
Cox Mabel Mary Southampton 2c 41
Ridout William Henry E Southampton 2c 41

Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)
BISHOP Walter Alexander S. Stoneham 2c 127
DABELL Martha S. Stoneham 2c 127
LLOYD Edwin John S. Stoneham 2c 127

so ............. who was his first wife, and what happened to her?

I think I'm being very stupid, but I can't find a registration for any of the children named :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2017 23:54

I have just been told about this record ...............

BISHOP, WALTER JAMES SAMUEL mmn COX
GRO Reference: 1903 D Quarter in SOUTHAMPTON Volume 02C Page 41

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Feb 2017 00:26

Martha's maiden name appears to have been Castleman

DABELL, WINIFRED ELIZABETH CASTLEMAN
GRO Reference: 1901 M Quarter in SOUTH STONEHAM Volume 02C Page 90

DABELL, PERCY EDWARD CASTLEMAN
GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in SOUTH STONEHAM Volume 02C Page 101

Marriages Dec 1898 (>99%)
Castleman Martha S. Stoneham 2c 118
DABELL Percy George S. Stoneham 2c 118

Percy George died in 1905

DABELL, PERCY GEORGE 31
GRO Reference: 1905 D Quarter in SOUTH STONEHAM Volume 02C Page 47

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Feb 2017 11:45

Re the first wife, per the biography of Walter to which I posted a link earlier (copied again here - https://tinyurl.com/zlnr9lw ):

"Walter was married in early 1903 in Southampton to Mabel Mary Cox (b. 1881) and they had a son, Walter James, later that year on November 22. Mabel Bishop passed away in the first half of 1904 aged 23."

Susan

Susan Report 1 Mar 2017 19:37

Thank you so much for your replies. I think it may well be a lost cause trying to find her, Another option is possibly she emigrated, which means I will have to look for passport records and passenger lists. But not sure if she would have been able to get a passport if her birth was not registered. So many questions, but thanks you for your responses.
Sue