Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Freebmd Postems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 28 Nov 2016 18:55

Hi All

I have just added two postems on freebmd.

Not done this for a while!!

Add one today like me!

Regards

Gillian

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 28 Nov 2016 19:15

Sorry, what is a postem??

Gigi

Gigi Report 28 Nov 2016 19:22

Hi Yvonne

On freebmd if you have the certificate or information about the person, you can attach a message to that entry called a postem. I had just received two death certificates, so I entered the datails: date of death, address, age at death, cause of death and informant.

This is what freebmd says:

A Postem is a note left by someone about this record - the content of the postem is determined by the person who left it. FreeBMD can offer no assurance about the postem and will not enter into correspondence about it. You can leave a Postem by clicking on Add a postem.

Regards

Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 30 Nov 2016 10:22

Hi All,

Have just added another postem on freebmd. I received another pdf death cert today.

Let's all create postems if we have BMD certificates to help others researching the same ancestors.

Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 1 Dec 2016 16:24

Hi again,

You can search for information shown in Postems by using this link:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/ShowPostems.pl

Happy hunting

Gillian

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Dec 2016 20:09

I'm a mad postem adder, Gillian :-)

I have not yet ever had any contacts via FreeBMD, but I've had lots via Ancestry and the notes I have added there.

tip: always include an email address in your FreeBMD postems (and go back and add a second postem for any where you neglected to do that).

There is no system for contacting people at that site. Someone could see your postem and be a family member you don't know of, and have no way to contact you.

Use a free email account like gmail, that you can make anonymous and that will never change.

Well, not in the near future, anyway :-)

Gigi

Gigi Report 2 Dec 2016 13:47

Hi JoonieCloonie,

Yes I agree. An email address included in the postem is always useful information!

G