Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hertford Baptism

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 24 Oct 2016 22:11

Hi, does anybody have any Hertford discs which may produce my missing ancestor's birth please? I have findmypast and ancestry and she is not there. I'm looking for the birth or baptism of Agnes Hagger around 1809 in Hertford. Now she does come from a family of Quakers and the Quaker records on the internet are brilliant but she is not there. I have her marriage and all census records but the marriage record was too early to give her father's name.

Tracey

Tracey Report 24 Oct 2016 22:27

I have a record of Benjamine Hagger who was born 1809 but baptised in the Wesleyan Chapel in Bishops Stortford in 1834 for some reason. He is definitely mine and I think Agnes could be a sister.

Tracey

Tracey Report 24 Oct 2016 23:26

I have to go to bed now, will check back tomorrow x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Oct 2016 23:29

As you'll know, civil registration didn't beginng until Sep quarter 1837, and even then it wasn't compulsary to register a birth. The only thing that might be available is a record of baptism. Even assuming she was baptised, the record book could have been lost or accidentally destroyed.

Do either of the marriage witnesses have Hagger as a surname? If so, they might be family members.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Oct 2016 23:53

If this is the marriage, the witnesses aren't an obvious help

Agnes Hagger
Spouse: Samuel Smith
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 16 May 1837
Parish: St Saviour, Southwark
Borough: Southwark
Register Type: Parish Register

Witnesses Thos Bailey & Ann Smith

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2016 03:50

I know you said you have this, but to give other helpers an idea of the parentage as you say Benjamine is definitely one of yours ..........

England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970

Name: Benjamine Hagger
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1809
Event Type: Baptism
Father: Thomas Pratt Hagger
Mother: Ann Webster
Baptism Date: 13 Jul 1834
Baptism Place: Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Piece Title: Piece 0662: Bishops Stortford (Wesleyan Methodist), 1827-1837

According to the image, Thomas was a Baker, and Ann was the daughter of James and Ann Webster

Note that Benjamine was born on 9 Jun 1809 but not baptised in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel until 13 July 1834 ................

He would have been around 24, possibly getting married, and maybe finding his Quaker religion against him.

I'm finding that my OH's family tree has one family line of Quakers who all baptised, married and were buried in the CofE church from the early 18th century until well into the 19th century, including the one who was a "leading Quaker preacher"!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2016 03:59

ooooooooooh .............

Tracey .... did you notice that the baptism immediately following Benjamine's was for his son????????? He's indexed under Wilmott

England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970

Name: Thomas Wilmott
Birth Date: 27 Jul 1834
Event Type: Baptism
Father: Benjamin Hagger
Mother: Susannah Wilmott
Baptism Date: 24 Aug 1834
Baptism Place: Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Piece Title: Piece 0662: Bishops Stortford (Wesleyan Methodist), 1827-1837

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 25 Oct 2016 07:56

(seems there was a Sister?)

https://beta.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/hertfordshire-archives-and-local-studies/hertfordshire-archives-and-local-studies.aspx

(Search Indexes)

(in case of anything on above. Herts.)

Chris :)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1330669

BeverleyW Report 28 Aug 2013 21:50

Possible?

Name: Mary Ann Hagger
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 07 Mar 1814
Birthplace: Hertford, England
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Thos. Neatby Hagger
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Ann Hagger

(non-conformists).
I can see a possible brother called Thomas b. 1806 but not a sister Agnes.

Edits (although looks to relate to below perhaps?)

England & Wales, Society of Friends (Quaker) Marriages 1578-1841 Transcription (Find My Past)

Hagger Thomas Neatby 1813 England & Wales, Society of Friends (Quaker) Marriages 1578-1841 London, Middlesex, London, England
(Ann Etheridge)

Hagger Thomas Neatby 1782 England & Wales, Society of Friends (Quaker) Births 1578-1841 Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, England
(Parents, Joseph, Hannah. Hartford)

Jos Haggar of Hertford
Hannah Neatby of Cheshunt
Society of Friends
Typescript index
12 Dec 1781

(above from. Herts. Hals Online Index)

Haggar Thomas 1797 Westminster Marriages St George, Hanover Square, Middlesex, England
(Ann Webster)

Hagger Thomas Pratt 1767 - 1838 Hertfordshire Burials Hertford, All Saints, Hertfordshire, England
(Abode, St.Leonard's Middlesex)

Hagger Thomas Pratt 1769 England & Wales, Society of Friends (Quaker) Births 1578-1841 Cottered, Hertfordshire, England
(Parents, Thomas, Elizabeth. Weston)

(following, with above Parents)

Hannah Born 1770

Agnes 1772

Stephen 1773

Benjamin 1775

Tracey

Tracey Report 25 Oct 2016 20:56

Thank you all, I have been digesting all the information. I already knew most but hadn't noticed Benjamine's son Thomas Wilmott was the next baptism to Benjamine. I wonder if Benjamine's father Thomas Pratt just didn't bother reg the births. Thomas Neatby is a cousin of Thomas Pratt.

I'm going to go through everything you have all said again and thank you all so much for trying to help. x

Tracey

Tracey Report 25 Oct 2016 20:58

Yes Sylvia in Canada, some of mine were registered both in the Quaker chapel and a normal church.

Thank you x

Tracey

Tracey Report 25 Oct 2016 21:06

I like this Hertfordshire site, thank you Chris Ho x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Oct 2016 07:45

Try searching as Haggar also, on there.

Chris :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2016 20:32

Tracey............

There was no registration of births until 1 July 1 1837, so all we have from earlier than that is baptism records.

Sometimes a baptism record will also give the date of birth of the child, but that is not common.