Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Annie McDowall Holywood, County Down

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 21 Oct 2016 08:26

Hi, I have been looking for the death of Annie McDowall who was last alive on the 1911 censes in Holywood Urban, Belfast, and when her husband George McDowall died in 1925 he was listed as a widower, so she has died in between these years. Born, 1863 as Annie Smith to parents John Smith and Agnes Wallace. Due to her maiden name of Smith and her married name McDowall and its variants, i had had a fruitless search. Any ideas or help offered will be gratefully received.

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Oct 2016 10:15

Previous thread, now I've looked up the census, where they've already been posted. They may have helped in tracking down the area Annie died in.

I see you have also added the same request re Annie's death to the previous thread which means helpers may be duplicating research !!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1359457

?? Note spelling

Annie Mcdowell
Ireland Civil Registration Indexes
Name Annie Mcdowell
Event Type Death
Event Date Oct - Dec 1918
Event Place Belfast, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Oct - Dec 1918
Registration District Belfast
Age 55
Birth Year (Estimated) 1863
Volume Number 1
Page Number 440
Citing this Record
"Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR25-KJX : 4 December 2014), DEATHS entry for Annie Mcdowell; citing Belfast, Oct - Dec 1918, vol. 1, p. 440, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,607.

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Oct 2016 10:36

If this is the right family, then surname McDowEll as per possible death

Census Years/1901/Down/Holywood Urban/Hill Street
Residents of a house 15 in Hill Street (Holywood Urban, Down)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Mc Dowell Lizzie 13 Female Daughter Presbyterian
Mc Dowell George 41 Male Head of Family Presbyterian
Mc Dowell George 11 Male Son Presbyterian
Mc Dowell Joseph Male Son Presbyterian
Mc Dowell Charles 3 Male Son Presbyterian
Mc Dowell William 6 Male Son Presbyterian
Mc Dowell Anne 36 Female Wife Presbyterian

George is a Tailor born Scotland. Lizzie also born Scotland

Not picking them up on the 1911

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Oct 2016 10:49

Well, not in Holywood 1911 if correct family.

Census Years 1911/Down/Ballyhackamore/Knocknagoney

Residents of a house 23 in Knocknagoney (Ballyhackamore, Down)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
McDowall George 52 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Scotland Tailor Read and write Irish Married - 24 10 6
McDowall Annie 48 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Down - Read and write Irish Married - 24 10 6
McDowall George 19 Male Son Presbyterian Scotland Gardener Read and write Irish Single - - - -
McDowall Sarah 8 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Scholar Read and write Irish Single - - - -
McDowall Charlie 13 Male Son Presbyterian Co Down Scholar Read and write Irish Single - - - -
McDowall Lizzie 3 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Down Scholar - Irish Single - - - -
McDowall Joe 11 Male Son Presbyterian Co Down Scholar Read and write Irish Single - - - -

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 21 Oct 2016 11:58

Thank you that is the family and I have looked st the 2928 death you noted as a possible. Do apologise for posting twice as it did not appear to be added so did it again separately!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Oct 2016 17:26

This is the burial relating to the 1918 death posted by Greyghost :

Occupants of grave F6 436, Dundonald Cemetery

Forename Surname Age Date of death Date of burial Cemetery Details Record image
Annie Mcdowell 55 Years 31 October 1918 3 November 1918 Dundonald Cemetery
Charles Mcdowell 18 Years 27 July 1916 30 July 1916 Dundonald Cemetery
Sarah Mcdowell 4 1/2 Years 19 March 1918 21 March 1918 Dundonald Cemetery
Annie Moore 9 Years 17 June 1918 19 June 1918 Dundonald Cemetery

https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx

The last place of residence of all four of the people in the grave was 80 Dundela Street.

In 1918, the occupant of 80 Dundela Street was George McDowell, tailor. <<<<<<<

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/dcomplete1918_b.htm

Re the grave above -
the two Annies and Sarah all died in 1918. I wonder if that might have been the 1918-20 flu ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Oct 2016 17:50

http://tinyurl.com/nr2j8fw

Applying to official mortality figures an estimate that only 2.5% of those who caught influenza actually died suggests that there were over 800,000 influenza cases in Ireland, 20% of the population. Between June 1918 and April 1919 the epidemic, which further taxed a health service already struggling with war-related shortages of medical personnel and hospital beds, temporarily incapacitated urban and rural communities across the island.
The first wave, which hit Ireland in the early summer of 1918, was the least destructive, although severe enough for schools and businesses to close. The earliest verifiable record of its arrival in Ireland can be found in US naval archives, which document an outbreak on the USS Dixie, docking outside Queenstown (Cobh), in May 1918. On 12 June the Belfast News-Letter reported that Belfast had been struck by a mystery illness resembling influenza. By the end of June there were reports that it had reached Ballinasloe, Tipperary, Dublin, Derry and Cork. Nevertheless, by mid-July the first wave had abated.
The second wave, from mid-October to December, was the most virulent of the three; and, as in the first wave, Leinster and Ulster were worst affected.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Oct 2016 18:00

Charles:

Charles M'Dowell
in the Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
Name: Charles M'Dowell
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1898
Registration district: Belfast
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 1
Page: 423
FHL Film Number: 101067

Charles McDowell
in the Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958
Name: Charles McDowell
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1916
Death Age: 18
Registration district: Belfast
Volume: 1
Page: 142
FHL Film Number: 0101606

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 21 Oct 2016 23:09

Thank you for locating this family finally!! It is sad they all went like that and do young. I would not have found them in a group like that do am really grateful for your help Argyllgran!!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Oct 2016 09:04

kellygirl.
The wee girl Annie Moore was daughter of Wm Moore and Lizzie McDowell.

1911 Census.

26 Sauders St. Victoria (part of ) Down

Moore Wm Shoemaker 24.
Moore Elizabeth (wife) married 2 yrs.(B Scotland)
Moore Annie 2yrs.
McDowell Wm 16 Brother

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2016 09:25

PM from Kellygirl, including further request:

Hello, Many thanks for finding the burials of my lost McDowell family. As i live in Australia, often folk in the northern hemisphere have access or knowledge to local records and is very helpful to those uninformed. I am doing this tree for my daughter's friend, so i don't have any knowledge of their life and am learning as i go along, and is lots of fun.

>>>>> I am wondering if there are any records from the Holywood Presbyterian church available online or for look up.
I had a search done to find Annie (Smith) McDowell's birth from 1865 onwards and nothing there at PRONI, so by the looks of census records and now this death, it definately was 1863/64. <<<<<<<<

Her parents were John Smith and Agnes Wallace, who were married in Banbridge in 1852, so a few may be there. Irish genealogy is very tough to do as not a lot of records remain. Most of my Murdoch family have been in Ayrshire, and it was a breeze doing research on Scotlands People site! Once again a huge thank you for your help and the 1918 Flu epidemic would have been the cause of so many deaths. My mother said it was all the soldiers coming back from WW1 that spread it, and by the looks of your snippet, you were right. Many thanks Kellygirl

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2016 09:33

If either of these is the church, you could contact them to ask if there are any searchable records, either paper or online:

http://www.hspc.org.uk/about_us.shtml

http://www.firstholywood.co.uk/contact

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2016 09:37

Various Holywood churches listed here:

http://tinyurl.com/zqz3ruy

And another - you're spoiled for choice!:
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000556275

Possibly helpful:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=535464.0

EDIT <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Have just seen on your other thread that 1st Presbyterian is the right church.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Oct 2016 09:48

kellygirl....Where did you get the info.re Marriage of John Smith and Agnes Wallace from and is it of Primary Source ?

The only John (son of Joseph) Smith and Agnes (daughter of Henry) Wallace for the year you have is at Drumballyroney for the 30th July1852.

Drumballyroney is a Civil Parish in its own right and has its own Pres.Churches.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Oct 2016 09:53

Name Agnes
Gender Female
Christening Place 431, HOLYOOD, DOWN, IRE
Birth Date 16 Jan 1868
Birthplace Holyood, Down, Ire
Father's Name John Smith
Mother's Name Agnes Wallace

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Oct 2016 10:10

kellygirl...This is the family of Agnes Wallace who married John Smith 1852..

Henry WALLACE . Drumballyroney husband of Elizabeth Rowan; father of Agnes*** b. 3 Aug & bpt. 7 Aug 1834
Elizabeth b. 8 Oct & bpt. 1 Dec 1836
Elizabeth b. 8 Oct & bpt. 1 Dec 1837
Andrew b. 7 Apr & bpt. 23 Apr 1841 at Ballyroney Presbyterian Church

I cannot find any children b. between 1852 (yr. of marriage) and 1860 for John Smith and Agnes Wallace so am hesitant in saying it is the correct couple.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2016 11:17

This will be the marriage record Kellygirl has found - but of course just from that we can't say which husband is Agnes's, nor whether or not she is the correct Agnes Wallace:

Agnes Wallace
in the Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: Agnes Wallace
Date of Registration: 1852
Registration district: Banbridge, Ireland
Volume: 2
Page Number: 620
FHL Film Number: 101244
Records on Page:
Name
James Macauley
Mary Anne Magill
Robert Martin
Agnes Wallace
Samuel Bradford
John Smith
Margaret McCrum
Agnes Shilliday

kellygirl

kellygirl Report 22 Oct 2016 11:32

Eringobragh 1916 The info for John Smith and Agnes Wallace was on their marriage record from parish registers and it names the parents of both parties so was very helpful, rootsireland.ie is a very good source but expensive. Thank you for your findings on the Smith and Wallace families.