Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whitwick, Leicestershire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 18 Sep 2016 07:13

Hi,

Does anyone have access to the Church records for Whitwick, I'm looking first for the marriages of Joseph Williamson to Caroline Harris 1846 and then his second marriage to Sarah Spencer in 1866.

Thank you for any help on this

Wendy

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 18 Sep 2016 08:07

In case you don't have this..........

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name Joseph Williamson
Gender Male
Baptism Date 15 May 1825
Baptism Place Whitwick,Leicester,England
Father Joseph Williamson
Mother Ruth
FHL Film Number 596077

Household Members

Name

Ruth
Joseph Williamson
Joseph Williamson

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 18 Sep 2016 08:21

A Sibling........

Mary Williamson in the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name: Mary Williamson
Baptism Date: 22 Jun 1829
Baptism Place: Whitwick,Leicester,England
Father: Joseph Williamson
Mother: Ruth
FHL Film Number: 596077

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2016 09:21

Someone has this on their tree for the marriage to Caroline.

Marriage
7 May 1846 • St. Mary's Church, Whitwick, Leics

They also have Caroline dying in 1900.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2016 09:43

Well I have looked and looked and I can't find a marriage for either of the names you have at all apart from the one on that tree.

Mel

Dea

Dea Report 18 Sep 2016 09:53

Well the marriages are easy enough to find but I think Wendy already has these and is wanting more detail from the Parish records?

Joseph Williamson
Registration Year: 1846
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Ashby de la Zouch
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume: 15
Page: 25
Records on Page:
Name
John Bradford
Elizabeth Banner
Joseph Benister
Mary Cotton
Caroline Harris ****
Mary Ann Lydall
Joseph Moore
Joseph Williamson ****
Cancel

Joseph Williamson
Registration Year: 1866
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Ashby de la Zouch
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume: 7a
Page: 195
Records on Page:
Name
William Evriett
Mary Gent
Sarah Spencer ***
Joseph Williamson ***
Cancel

Dea x

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 18 Sep 2016 10:13

Hi Dea, Mel and Prickles,

Thank you all for looking

Yes that's the Joseph and Caroline, and as Dea says I was hoping someone could look at the parish records for more details.
The tree on ancestry has some details wrong, first I think they have the daughter of Joseph and Caroline named Ruth death as 1862 that is wrong the Ruth that died 1862 was Joseph's mother Ruth.
Also the Caroline you say they have death 1900 is also wrong that was his second wife Sarah (Spencer) I think Caroline died Nov 1864 but burial has her down as Catherine and the Leicestershire Chronicle death column has her as Ruth a bit confusing I know.

Wendy

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2016 12:29

Gosh that is confusing.

I think you would have to buy the marriage certs to get more info, that is if you hav'nt already got them.

The marriage I put up from someones tree could be right as the entry Dea put up was in the April May June quarter.

Marriage
7 May 1846 • St. Mary's Church, Whitwick, Leics

Have you tried getting in touch with this tree owner?

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 18 Sep 2016 12:41

Hi Mel

Yes look like I'm going to have buy the marriage certificates but I might go to Coalville Library first to see if I can find anything there now we know the date if marriage although when I googled Whitwick there was no St Mary's Church but a St John the Baptist and a St George Churches.

No I haven't been in touch with the tree owner as I don't subscribe to Ancestry, I go on Ancestry at Nottingham Archives where I can look at some trees for free but cannot get in touch with tree owners.

Wendy