Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marks & Spencer employment records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 1 Sep 2016 16:02

My wife has tried without success to obtain any information regarding her mothers employment with Marks & Spencer in the very early 1950s she has no one else to ask as she has no other family alive, one telephone call to M&S resulted in a n extremely unhelpful character who not only did not ask for my wifes name or the reason why she was enquiring could only manage the phrase (cant help data protection act) at least three times) this may be so but she found the whole process disturbing to say the least, any ideas on how we can approach this would be most helpful.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Sep 2016 16:15

Does the M & S branch she worked for have a retired members club?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Sep 2016 16:38

Could you write a letter to Marks and Spencer head office and explain what you are looking for and why. If your mother-in-law has passed away you could mention this as I can't see this as a data protection issue.

Lots of companies quote "data protection" issues when what they really mean is that it is "company policy" not to give out information - nothing to do with data protection laws.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Sep 2016 22:21

This may or may not help, but it looks interesting anyway.

https://archive-catalogue.marksandspencer.ssl.co.uk/home