Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Service Records and 1901 scottish census please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 24 Aug 2016 15:20

Please could I have a look up for the service records for Michael Linney b.1890.
He was born in Glasgow and parents are Michael and Sarah nee Holmes.

Also if possible the 1901 scottish census for him.

I have him in 1911 at 8, Duncan Street , Glasgow with wife Isabella nee McCluskey and son Michael b 1911.

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Aug 2016 15:26

ame: Michael Linnery
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Sarah Linnery
Where born: Glasgow
Registration Number: 644/2
Registration district: Camlachie
Civil Parish: Glasgow Camlachie
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 42 James St
ED: 11
Household schedule number: 126
LINE: 20
Roll: CSSCT1901_268
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Linnery 33
Sarah Linnery 30
Michael Linnery 11
Peter Linnery 9
Ellen Linnery 6
Lizzie Linney 1
Sarah Linney 1
Francis Linney 6mo

Andy

Jean

Jean Report 24 Aug 2016 15:28

Andrew,

thanks very much that's the one, same address as his marriage certificate in 1909,

regards

jean

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Aug 2016 15:29

Maybe??

UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Name: Michael Linney
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 307858
Previous Units: 3386 Pte R.A.S.C.

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Aug 2016 15:31

Name: Michael Linney
Birth Date: abt 1890
Birth Place: Barony, Lanark
Enlistment Age: 24
Document Year: 1914
Regimental Number: 3386
Regiment Name: Army Service Corps
Number of Images: 2
Form Title: Short Service Attestation
Other Records: Search for 'Michael Linney' in other WWI collections
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
Michael Linney Self (Head)

Andy

Maddie

Maddie Report 24 Aug 2016 15:35

Jean, why not take a 1 month trial with findmypast as there are interesting documents about the wife being aressted and care of a child.
Don't forget to cancel

Michael
Last name Linney
Age 24
Birth year 1889
Birth town Glasgow
Birth county Lanarkshire
Birth country Scotland
Service number 370
Regiment Army Service Corps
Year 1914
Residence town Glasgow
Residence county Lanarkshire
Residence country Scotland
Series WO 363
Series description WO 363 - First World War service records 'burnt documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Jean

Jean Report 24 Aug 2016 15:36

Thanks again Andy ,

It does look like him going by d.o.b. and place of birth.

Wonder why it doesn't show his wife and children on his service records, or was that not needed ?

Jean

Jean Report 24 Aug 2016 15:38

Oops, thanks for that Maddie, will do.

Although I don't think she was the only one of my ancestors to be arrested lol.

I will take a look.

Maddie

Maddie Report 24 Aug 2016 15:41

Michael
Last name Linney
Age 24
Birth year 1889
Birth town Glasgow
Birth county Lanarkshire
Birth country Scotland
Service number 307858
Regiment Labour Corps
Unit / Battalion 375th (Home Service) Labour Company, 728th Labour Company
Year 1914
Residence town Glasgow
Residence county Lanarkshire
Residence country Scotland
Series WO 363
Series description WO 363 - First World War service records 'burnt documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records

payment of army allowance to mrs I finney, 1 park lane dundee - old address, new addess 153 park lane glasgow

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Aug 2016 15:42

Much interesting detail in the service records. Convicted of drunkeness while on active service, wife arrested and convicted of bigamy, request for a reference for a job after the war......

Well worth taking a trial sub to see it all as Maddie suggests.

Andy

Jean

Jean Report 24 Aug 2016 15:51

Crikey, that's a turn up for the book , I know they had at least 4 children, all born before the war .

Off to findmypast now,

regards

jean

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Aug 2016 16:10

Wading through the service documents -
NOK named as Wife Isabella 49 East John Street, Glasgow
Marriage 15.5.1909 Glasgow Rev. Halliday officiating. Isabella a Spinster
Witnesses John McCluskey and J Kennedy

Children - Michael b 6.3.1911 Glasgow, baptised 25.3.11 Rev Halliday
John McLuskey b 25.11.1914 Glasgow, died 12.12.1914 Glasgow

Mrs EM McLuskey named as Guardian of child in 1916 - of 75 East Nelson Street, Glasgow - presume whilst Isabella in prison

Awarded 1914 Star, British War and Victory medals. Also 1 Red and 3 blue chevrons.
Red chevron denotes overseas service in 1914 and the blue for other subsequent years

Jean

Jean Report 25 Aug 2016 12:10

Thank you all for the information.
Just had a look late last night to verify that the Isabella McCluskey is mine and she is.
going by all the addresses shown.
The guardian must be Isabella's mother Elizabeth nee Rankin.

All in all I think there were 3 children.
Michael, John , as shown by greyghost and Margaret McCluskey Linney b.1912 and died 1914.

Not a happy story to say the least, wether there are anymore children I haven't found out yet but I will have a look .

Michael and Isabella stayed together as they are both witnesses to Isabella's brother George McCluskey, 1st in 1921 and George's 2nd marriage in 1933.

There is one death for a Michael Linney aged 15 in Dennistoun, Glasgow, but I don't want to look at it yet as I am hoping that at least one of their children grew to adulthood, so I will leave that for a while.

I can't seem to find a death yet for Michael or Isabella, so that is another one of my quests for today, I also can't see a marriage for Isabella and the chap she is supposed to have commited bigamy with.

Thank you all again for your help.

Jean

Jean Report 25 Aug 2016 15:44

Found deaths for both Isabella and Michael.
I was just concentrating on the Glasgow area, so widened my search and there they were .

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Aug 2016 16:13

The man she supposedly married on 17 Dec. 1915 is named as Allan MacKay in the service documents.

But, what names did they use on the day? I'm not seeing a Linney, McClusky or MacKay combination, entering Isabella and Allan as first names

I have no idea, perhaps someone else will, - if the "marriage" was proved to be bigamous, would the reference be removed from records??
(possibly not as I've found the English marriage of someone I knew still in records)

Jean

Jean Report 25 Aug 2016 17:10

Just what I have been wondering greyghost, would the marriage records have been removed .

Also on her marriage certificate to Michael Linney shows one of her witnesses to be John McCluskey as I can't find a brother for her named John is it possible that her father John would be permitted to be a witness ?

I am also wondering about the address in Dundee , as far as I know the McCluskeys never had a connection to Dundee.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 25 Aug 2016 17:42

Jean, it probably was her father. My grandparents were the witnesses to two of their daughter's second marriages.

I would doubt the record of a bigamous marriage could be removed from the records. There would more likely be either a note in the margin (as with divorces) or an RCE added.

Jean

Jean Report 25 Aug 2016 18:46

Hello rootgatherer,

Those free credits on Scotlandspeople sure did come in handy looking for these new family connections.

I had a fair idea it might be her father and as for the marriage I will have to keep searching for that one, surely they would have to have given their real names for Isabella to be found out.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Aug 2016 09:10

They wouldn't need to give proof of their names and Isabella may have used either her married name or maiden name. She also could have used any of the many forms of Isabella, Bella, Isa etc. Remember too that in Scotland Isabella and Elizabeth are interchangeable like Janet and Jessie. I had a look on SP as I thought Allan may not have been the male given name (I found an Allan on OHs side and spent ages trying to find his birth and it turned out he was really an Alexander but known as Allan).

Jean

Jean Report 26 Aug 2016 11:48

I know what you mean rootgatherer,

One of my aunt's given name was Mary Jane but everyone called her Jean, I could go on but I would be here forever.

They certainly don't make it easy for us to find them.