Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 5 Aug 2016 14:16

Hello all,

Wondering if I could get some help on this. As the title suggests, it's concerning the 1939 Register. I did get some help on this topic before, but couldn't figure out some other elements that maybe others on here can.

My Nan is seen living in Cambridge in 1939, her name being Evelyn May Thompson born in 1920. This might be the key to finding my Mum's Dad. As she had once said that my Mum's Dad's name was 'James Smith', Smith being so common we thought she was just throwing her. But lo and behold, on the 1939 Register, it has a marriage to 'Smith'. The Smith is crossed out, and replaced with her maiden name again, so I'm guessing it's a divorce or annulled?

Worked out that the APA stands for Paddington (which is where my Nan is from). But what could the number 230 stand for? Also, the date given is 9-2-1948.. is this a marriage date or divorce date? My Mum was born at the end of 1948.

I already found an Evelyn M Thompson marrying a Alfred Smith in 1939, but pretty sure I've connected that being as someone else.

Any help that anyone can give, would be great.

Many thanks,
Rachel

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 5 Aug 2016 14:45

I just read this- no idea how accurate it is but:

· Dates shown are usually not the date of the event, but seem to be the date of the update (or possibly the date on the form that triggered the update)

· CR283 is a form that is used when there is a Change of Surname, Forename, or Date of Birth (most changes will be surname changes, of course)

http://www.1939register.info/
-----------------------------------------------------

And then re the 230 code- someone else also asking the same question here thinking it may be a name change by deedpole:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738645.0
---------------------------------

There may be more information found by "googling". I did read a similar question written on a National Archives Blog- this was the response:

"There are many abbreviations and annotations in the Register, added by different people for different purposes over a period sixty years. I am afraid there is no master list to these abbreviations so we cannot say with any authority what is the meaning of any of them."

Rachel

Rachel Report 5 Aug 2016 14:58

That's interesting. So it's a possibility that somewhere between 1939 and 1948, she had her name changed by deed poll, than changed back. Question is, why? As her name would have automatically changed without having to get it done by deed poll when married and/or divorced, right?

This adds even more mystery to the whole story, if this is the case.

Thanks Austin.

Can anyone else confirm this to be 100% true or any other ideas of where to go from here?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Aug 2016 16:02

Would this be in Gt. Shelford, Cambs. by any chance, seeing Woollards Lane, and London Road on image?...(chances are she worked at the Paper Mill Sawston)

(just wondered!)

Chris :)

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

(is her Birth on above?)

Edits (checked the Ellum name above her (Maiden Name, then Marriages to Jowett, followed by Bradley. Her name was crossed through also)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Aug 2016 16:45

Is this your nan's birth:-

First name(s) EVELYN M
Last name THOMPSON
Birth year 1920
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's last name HERBERT
District PADDINGTON
County London
Country England
Volume 1A
Page 104
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Aug 2016 16:48

Was your mum's birth registered as Thompson or Smith?

Perhaps your nan just lived with Mr. Smith and used his surname and then reverted to her birth surname if the relationship didn't last - which lots didn't during and just after the war.

Kath. x

Rachel

Rachel Report 5 Aug 2016 16:49

Yes, it was in Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, Chris. We actually went down there and had a little visit, hoping to look up some electoral roll to try to determine how long she lived there. But unfortunately, they couldn't help us. I think Woollards Lane was where the Library was, it rings a bell, at least.

We know she was in Mossley sometime between 1943 and 1948. As that's where she got evacuated from. She worked in a Cotton Mill there.

When I click on that link, it just takes me to the main website. But I know all of her birth and death details...etc I was very close to my Nan, but she was a rather secretive lady, it would seem.

Can information be had from this Sawston Mill then? :O

Rachel

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Aug 2016 16:54

Wouldn't have thought so, was just a guess really, seeing Woollards Lane nearby, and her being a 'Paper Packer'!, I've got a dreadful memory of a school dentist there, ouch!, lol)

Chris :)

http://www.spicers.co.uk/about/

(History)

Rachel

Rachel Report 5 Aug 2016 17:05

Yes, Kathleen, that's her. Got my Nan's birth certificate, and death.

My Mum was registered as Thompson, in Paddington. And the story handed down from 'various' members of the family, was that he was a roma gypsy and my Nan found that he was actually married (telling her that his real wife was his sister). But this story seems a bit strange to me, it didn't come from my Nan. The only info that came from my Nan, was that his name was James Smith.

I've gone down many routes, trying to find my Mum's Dad for her, even a name and place she would be happy with. This Smith is the first lead in a long time. So the deed poll might be the way to go, maybe it'll have information on him too?

And thanks for the link, Chris

Rachel

:-D