Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

find article on suspicious death of relative

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 11 Jun 2016 19:42

Looking for article on the boxer (Stepney) Ted Saunders, he was found below a bridge in London in 1938 - authorities not sure if suicide or foul play. Unable to find in search of newspaper articles.
Any suggestions???? :-0

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jun 2016 20:04

Ted Saunders (Stepney) was a professional boxer who was active between 1909 and 1920

He took part in 89 professional contests

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jun 2016 22:31

A 2008 post on GR, from someone named Susan, in a thread about an unrelated Saunders:

"My grandfather was Henry Lewis Saunders born in Stepney married Ada Hooper and had 5 children served in the great war also boxed was known as Ted his fathers name was Abraham. He died in 1938"

So possibly his death?

Deaths Sep 1938 (>99%)
SAUNDERS Henry L 47 Romford 4a 450

Haven't found any newspaper report, though.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2016 22:50

do you know that there were any articles?

It is possible that it was not considered important enough news to be printed.

Pauline

Pauline Report 11 Jun 2016 22:58

Argyll Gran; This is indeed my Uncle Ted. Susan is a relative with the last name Carmoody - I did contact her but she was not at all interested in getting "connected".
My brother in the UK told me about Uncle Ted's death in 1938 and I think one of my nephews in the UK did find a newspaper article. Will check further with him.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2016 23:33

Depending where abouts in the Romford reg district he died, his death might bave been reported in a local paper.
Contact the local archive to see it they will conduct a search for you - they will probably make a charge

https://www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/Category/History-heritage-and-archaeology.aspx