Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bohannon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Rachel*XX

*Rachel*XX Report 9 Jun 2016 16:10

I'm looking for Bohannons that came from Ireland around 1800 to Manchester particularly Salford... Any Info appreciated & I will of course share what I have

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jun 2016 16:15

This looks like an accidental duplication. Have asked Rachel to remove the other thread so as not to confuse.

Looking at the 1851 census variations in spelling might be
Bohan, Bohanan, Bohannan to name the obvious - there are others.

In 1851 Pleshey, Chelmsford, Essex and particularly the Hulme area of Manchester seem to be the main strongholds for Bohannon's and they look to be born in those places. By 1851 even the very few older ones are born England.

1841 census shows variation spellings only but only 2 Bohannan born Ireland out of 9 and 8 out of 11 Bohanan.

Try 'Search' top right of this page and then 'Search all members trees' - input the details you have and see if you get a match. You can then contact the tree holder.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jun 2016 16:29

There's this family in 1841 in Salford:

Joseph Bohanan

in the 1841 England Census
Record Image View

View blank form

Name: Joseph Bohanan
Estimated birth year: abt 1791
Where born: Ireland
Civil Parish: Manchester
Hundred: Salford
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: Manchester
Sub-registration district: St George
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 575
Book: 16
Folio: 36
Page Number: 9
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Bohanan 50
Elizabeth Bohanan 45
Jane Bohanan 25
Elizabeth Bohanan 20
Margaret Bohanan 15
Ann Bohanan 15
James Bohanan 16
Isabela Bohanan 12
Ellanor Bohanan 7

All born Ireland except last 2 born in county.

*Rachel*XX

*Rachel*XX Report 9 Jun 2016 18:46

Thank you that's great info

safc

safc Report 9 Jun 2016 18:57

Missing data / damaged records

The 1851 census contains transcriptions and reconstructed images for around 180,000 individuals - available online for the first time - which have been retrieved from severely damaged pages.

The records for the Manchester, Chorlton, Salford, Oldham and Ashton-Under- Lyne registration districts were water damaged many years ago due to flooding.

As a result many were too fragile to be filmed or no writing was visible, but a 14 year project by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society (MLFHS) has recovered information from around 82 per cent of the damaged records.

The reconstructed images follow the same layout as the originals, and where relevant include details of neighbouring households.

For a full list of all the known missing pieces read our 'Census for England, Wales and Scotland: missing pieces' article, which is available in the Useful Links and Resources section.
Useful Links and Resources

safc

safc Report 9 Jun 2016 19:08

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

there are a few bohannon's on the 1821 irish census

some here as well

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Jun 2016 09:18

There are some Baptisms for Joseph and Elizabeth's children on the following site..

www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Manchester Collegiate 1836.

Isabella/Elena/William

*Rachel*XX

*Rachel*XX Report 11 Jun 2016 09:52

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Dea

Dea Report 11 Jun 2016 16:31

I have a Mrs Bohanna(h) who used to look after me in Salford over 60 years ago !!

I have a photo of her somewhere if you would like to see it ???

Dea Xxx

*Rachel*XX

*Rachel*XX Report 11 Jun 2016 18:41

That would be absolutely wonderful thank you Dea... Have you a name for the lady... From what I can gather the Bohannons seem to be a caring lot.. taking in adopted children etc... Very compassionate in nature..

Dea

Dea Report 11 Jun 2016 20:53

I will look it out for you and send it through in the morning !!

Dea Xxx

*Rachel*XX

*Rachel*XX Report 11 Jun 2016 22:41

Dea that's wonderful. Thank you x