Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 6 Apr 2016 16:55

Hi All,

I found this on Ancestry :

Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900

Name: James Green
Birth Date: abt 1797
Birth Place: Lambley, Nottingham
Military Date: 12 Jan 1814
Unit: 14th Foot Soldiers, 3rd Battalion

How do I find out what happend to him aft this? does this mean he went to Canada?

Any help much appreciated.

Wendy

Dea

Dea Report 6 Apr 2016 21:10

Can't see anything to help at the moment - sorry !!!!!

Dea Xxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2016 21:13

I guess this means that he joined the English army, and served in Canada, as many thousands did

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2016 21:19

The image of that record is of the Regimental Register and it show the following information ................

5'4¼"
Complexion Fresh
Eyes Gray
Hair Lt Brown

Previous Occupation:- Stockinger
Attested:- 12 January 1814
Enlisted for Life
Enlisted at Nottingham

Dea

Dea Report 6 Apr 2016 21:28

Stockinger = Knitter, weaver or seller of stockings

Dea x

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 7 Apr 2016 07:05

Hi All,

Thank you anyway I thought it was a long shot, there are some trees on Ancestry one who has him in 1851 census I'll have another look at that but they coped from other trees one I know has it some info wrong as they have his sister in the USA married surname of Jackson and has a grave stone for her but they have the wrong Elizabeth Green.

Again Thank you all for looking

Wendy

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Apr 2016 19:03

14th (Bedfordshire) Regiment of Foot
The 14th served in Canada and Nova Scotia from 1841 to 1848.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/regiments-infantry.html

At that time, Canada meant the modern provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 8 Apr 2016 07:27

Hi mgnv,

Thank you but that's later than I looking at. I did find that the 14th Foot Soldiers, 3rd Battalion was in the Battle of Waterloo so going to see if there's more info and I found a James Green on the roll call for that battle.

Wendy

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Apr 2016 15:18

Hi Wendy

I have just found a James Green on a forces site on the Waterloo Roll Call list.

I have uploaded a screen shot of the relevant page to my keepsafe, just not too sure how I manage to share it here!

I will keep trying.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 8 Apr 2016 17:37

Hi Elaine,

Thank you, not sure how you can share it unless you can attach it to a pm but not sure, if not can you tell me if it has more info or is it just his name.

Wendy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2016 19:05

I don't know whether this is the record that Elaine found ......... but I don't see the proof that it is "your" James as there is no indication that it is the 14th Foot or even the 3rd Battalion ................

Waterloo Roll Call, 1815 Transcription

First Name James
Last Name Green
Year 1815
Regiment Waterloo Muster Roll - Captain Fenton's Troop
Category Armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Other wars & conflicts
Collections from United Kingdom

There are several other records on FMP of Waterloo Medal Rolls 1815 for James Green ....... none of those are in the correct Regiment.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 8 Apr 2016 19:31

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for looking, yes it does not proof its the right James so think i'll have to leave a ? next to my James cannot find anything on him aft 1814. :-( :-( :-( :-(

Wendy

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Apr 2016 19:53

Hi Sylvia and Wendy

It does look as though that is the same one I found.

It was the only 1 that came up with the 1814 search I did.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2016 19:55

Wendy ................

Google the following .............

14th foot soldiers, 3rd battalion, england

there's quite a lot of information, that may give you an inkling of where they were, even if you don't find a roll call of soldiers and find "your" James listed.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Apr 2016 00:22

Sylvia - Re "there is no indication that it is the 14th Foot".

Actually, there is an indication that it was not, in "Captain Fenton's Troop".
Troop was the name the cavalry gave to a platoon sized unit (also extended to RHA and, post WW!, to armoured regiments converted from cavalry regiments).

A platoon was a group of up to 30 soldiers. It was originally a group that would fire in a single volley, and was the smallest unit that an officer would command, although many were commanded by a sergeant.

Anyway, the 14th foot wasn't a cavalry regiment.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Apr 2016 00:56

I did look at the image of that record ........... and it was just a printed list of the various troops ........... Captain Fenton's was the only named one on that page, but there were many Privates listed of the preceding troop. on that page.

As I said, there was no indication on that image of the regiment, battalion or whatever that those troops belonged to .............. and it was only 1 page, there was no way to move onto the any preceding or following pages.

The Captain's full name was Capt. Thomas C. Fenton .......... it might be possible to search for him and see which Regiment he belonged to.

I didn't like to rule it out completely ......... but there is no proof.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Apr 2016 04:59

Thomas Charles Fenton was born in 1790 and became a Cornet at the age of fourteen in the 4th (Queens Own) Dragoons by purchase on 13 November 1804 and rose to lieutenant in the same regiment on 22 July 1806 and captain by purchase on 2 January 1812. As such Fenton sailed to the Peninsula in 1809 and saw action throughout the war, at Talavera, Busaco, Usagre, Albuera, Villagarcia, Salamanca, Vitoria and Toulouse. Returning home in 1814, Fenton went on half pay, but transferred to the 2nd (Royal North British) Dragoons, or Scots Greys and commanded a troop at the Battle of Waterloo. Despite all these adventures Fenton miraculously came through these campaigns without wound or serious illness, a fortunate man indeed, or was it his hardy Yorkshire upbringing?
http://www.garethglovercollection.com/Thomas%20Fenton.htm

Privates would be in the infantry - privates in the cavalry were called troopers.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 9 Apr 2016 07:19

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help. I did goolge and found this:

Military Subjects: Organization, Strategy & Tactics
“A Very Pretty Little Battalion”: The 3/14th Regiment of Foot in the Waterloo Campaign

The third battalion of the 14th (or Buckinghamshire) Regiment of Foot was the second-to-last British regular battalion to be formed prior to the peace of April 1814 (only the second battalion of the 22nd Foot came later) and the only British third battalion to participate in the Waterloo campaign.

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 9 Apr 2016 07:28

Also found this

The 3rd Battalion fought at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815; it was disbanded in 1816.

When ever I Google the 3rd battlalion of the 14th foot it always comes up with the Battle of Waterloo.

Like I said i'll put a ? next to his name looks like I'll never know what happened to him maybe he was one of the few that died in the battle and body never named.

Wendy