Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

93 Heyworth Street, Liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Feb 2016 16:50

I've been trying for years to find the name of a pub where my grandmother's sister lived. I visited often as a child and could remember it was on a corner, I thought in Everton, but never had any luck finding anything. The 1939 register has helped a little ... it tells me it was at 93 Heyworth Street. I'm sure the pub has long gone but does anyone out there remember it?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 16 Feb 2016 17:33

Old Campfield Pub? Now listed at 98 Heyworth Street.

http://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/21184

There was also the Thistle (now May Duncans) at 33 (I think) Heyworth Street? But this isn't on a corner, so not likely to be this one.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Feb 2016 18:07

was it the raven

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Feb 2016 18:41

I looked up the 1911 census in case that helped, but it doesn't - the Summary Books entry just says Mr Moorcroft occupied a public house at 93 Heyworth Street.

Haven't found him in the main census records yet.

EDIT:

Oh, yes, found him:

William Moorcraft
in the 1911 England Census
Name: William Moorcraft
[William Moorcroft]
Age in 1911: 40
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Everton
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address: 93 Heyworth St Liverpool
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: West Derby
Registration District Number: 455
Sub-registration district: South Everton
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Piece: 22531
Household Members:
Name Age
William Moorcraft 40
Horence Moorcraft 31
Gladys Moorcraft 15

It doesn't give the name of the pub, though.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Feb 2016 20:38

All I remember is that my brother and I used to visit often with my Nan when we were very young. We were taken in through a door that was across a corner and led into a bar area and we were quickly whisked upstairs. There was a flat roof off the apartment where we were allowed to play. I'm afraid that's all I remember. They won't be in the 1911 census since George was born in 1904 and Ida in 1906. I wonder if Uncle George took over from the William Moorcroft mentioned above.

Thanks.

Joanie

Joanie Report 16 Feb 2016 21:46

There was a pub on Heyworth st called 'Priory '. Have asked on a site that includes Heyworth Street Everton, maybe someone will have a pic. hope this may help. Joanie

Joanie

Joanie Report 16 Feb 2016 21:52

Priory Pub Heyworth Street and Priory Road 1951,I have a pic if your interested ?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Feb 2016 21:59

Would love a picture, how can I get it Thanks so much.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Feb 2016 22:35

there was a pub called THE LONDON STORES you can read about heyworth street

http://peoples-stories.com/story.php?i=3DSWBV4VSW

malyon

malyon Report 16 Feb 2016 22:51

The Priory was situated on the corner of Priory Road and Heyworth Street. This pub was demolished in 1967.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Feb 2016 22:56

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photo+of+The+Priory+heyworth+street

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 17 Feb 2016 04:03

Think Malyon was correct on her first answer- looks like it was called The Raven.

Liverpool Daily Post - Tuesday 20 May 1941

LEACH- May 17th at Thatto Heath (Late 29 Sleeper's Hill), MARIA, beloved wife of the late James Leach (Re-united). Sadly missed by daughter Ida, George and Muriel, The Raven, 93 Heyworth Street.
-----------------------------------------------

Photo of it here:
http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/p/l4-l5.html

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Feb 2016 04:46

Wow, that's fantastic. Maria Leach was my great grandmother and 29 Sleepers Hill was where my Dad was born. So, it was The Raven ... I can't tell you how many years I've been trying to find the name of this pub.
Thanks all for your contributions.