Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Feb 2016 04:25

I have just unlocked the 1939 register record of my maternal grandparents. Shown in the household is my mother with her married name but her maiden name in brackets. Nothing unusual about this you might think, except the record was taken in September 1939 but my mother didn't marry until September 1940 - I have a copy of the marriage certificate. Can anyone explain this.

Dea

Dea Report 16 Feb 2016 07:08

Although the data is based on the 1939 census the records have since been updated from info on more recent census's.

If you look at the actual image there should be a note on there giving the date of her marriage?

Dea x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2016 09:38

It was used as a basis for the NHS numbers when it was introduced and updated until 1991. Hopefully every unlocked woman will also show subsequent married surnames.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Feb 2016 16:26

It was a bit confusing. It should be helpful for finding marriages though.

Thanks for the explanation.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2016 23:36

Don't rely on the pencilled in date being a marriage date - the ones I've looked at don't conform to the known certificated event.
As you say, the name change will help you to track down a marriage which probably occured before the date

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Feb 2016 00:11

I think the pencilled in dates refer to the date the record was updated, which in the case of my mother-in-law was 4 days after she changed her name by deed poll.

Kath. x

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Feb 2016 01:38

Thanks. The only date I'd looked at was my parents and I already knew that date, but there are a few distant relatives I can't find marriages for. I'll make sure to check the dates.

Thanks.