Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREDERICK DAVY TATE (illegitimate)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susan

susan Report 31 Jan 2016 18:36

I have found my grandfather's family (his real mother was a nurse from Willesden). However, he was 'fostered' as a child (along with 2 other not related boys), to a member of the famous Broadwood family. The boys were sent to St. Aloyisuis School in Islington and had a very good education. Can anyone suggest where I might look to find out exactly who fostered him and where they may have lived? (He later changed his name to David Freckett Carey). Many thanks :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 31 Jan 2016 18:46

For reference.

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription
Print transcription
First name(s) FREDERICK DAVY
Last name TATE
Gender Male
Birth day 23
Birth month 7
Birth year 1912
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 1998
District READING
District number 3201A
Register number A1B
Entry number 266
Date of registration mm/yy 0998
County Berkshire

First name(s) DAVID FRECKETT
Last name CAREY
Gender Male
Birth day 23
Birth month 7
Birth year 1912
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 1998
District READING
District number 3201A
Register number A1B
Entry number 266
Date of registration mm/yy 0998

Mother's name Tate according to his birth record.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Jan 2016 18:55

Perhaps the school would have old records, with a home address / foster parent's name?? (Long shot, I know, after so long.)

http://www.sta.islington.sch.uk/contact-us/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jan 2016 18:56

Could this be him in the 1939 register (you don't say when he changed his name):-

CareyHousehold
Reading C.B., Berkshire, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) BIRTH YEAR
David F Carey 1912
Violet G Carey and 3 more people are on this record
5 more people who are officially closed

I can't find a birth of a David F. Carey in 1912 to match this record so he could be someone who has changed his name.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jan 2016 18:59

If the person above is the right person then you could buy his marriage certificate to see if he names a father (he may name his "foster" father) :-

First name(s) DAVID F
Last name CAREY
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1936
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ DAVID F CAREY married
VIOLET G ELLWOOD
Spouse's last name ELLWOOD
District ETON
District number -
County Buckinghamshire
Country England
Volume 3A
Page 3424

The marriage certificate would give his middle name so you could see then if it is the right person.

Other than that I'm not sure how you could find out.

Kath. x

susan

susan Report 31 Jan 2016 19:14

Thank you all so far - he did change his name to David Carey (and married my grandmother Violet). On their marriage certificate, he made up a father's name (he put the same as his own 'new' name). There is no father's name on his birth certificate. We think that the fostered family took in 3 boys and paid for them to have an education - we have no records of any legal fostering (but this was back in 1912, and they may have come from an orphanage)? Barnardo's have no records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jan 2016 23:46

Legal adoption was only brought in in 1927 ....... so you won't find any records before then, apart from some possible records from an orphanage or society.

Have you tried to trace either of the other 2 boys?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2016 00:23

I have never heard of the "famous Broadwood family" but I looked in the 1911 census and this is the nearest I can find (there are a couple of stage actresses in this family):-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
36 Ranelagh Gardens Chiswick, Chiswick, Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

Alice Broadwood Head Widow Female - 43 1868 Clapham
Ada Broadwood Daughter Single Female Stage Actress 22 1889 Clapham
Eunice Broadwood Daughter Single Female Stage Actress 21 1890 Clapham John Broadwood Visitor Married Male - 41 1870 London W
Florence Senter Cook General Single Female Cook General 35 1876 Notting Hill

Have you tried putting any of these names (if it is the right family) or any names from the Broadwood family if you know them into the "search" option at the top of the page and pick off "search all member trees". If you find someone with any of these people in their trees you could see if any of them have any information about the boys who were fostered. It's a long shot but anything is worth trying.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Feb 2016 11:55

Maybe Susan means the Broadwood piano manufacturers?

https://www.piano-tuners.org/history/wilkinson.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Broadwood_%26_Sons

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Feb 2016 12:05

Bertha Broadwood became joint guardian of her brother's 3 children - though of course they would not include Frederick Tate.

But maybe it gave her the idea of fostering others.

http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/people/philanthropists/bertha-broadwood/

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Feb 2016 12:31

Perhaps the fostering was done through Bertha's benevolent association??

Berthe M Broadwood
in the 1901 England Census

Name: Berthe M Broadwood
Estimated birth year: abt 1846
Relation to Head: Sister
Birth Place: St Marylebone, London, England
Civil Parish: Newdigate
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
Town: Newdigate
County/Island: Surrey
Registration district: Dorking
Sub-registration district: Capel
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 621
Folio: 60
Page Number: 21
Household schedule number: 133
Household Members:
Name Age
Jas H T Broadwood 47 - widower, barrister at law
Berthe M Broadwood 55 - Hon Secy of Benevolent (something) Association
Oliver B Jones 54 - visitor

(plus several servants)

I don't see her in 1911. She died in 1935.

She founded the Holt-Ockley System of recruiting and training nurses for rural areas in 1883.
http://tinyurl.com/jsxu9dz

susan

susan Report 1 Feb 2016 18:45

Great! I could see the connection if Frederick's mother was a nurse, then perhaps there is the link there if Bertha Broadwood had an interest in nursing. It seems that sometimes wealthy families gave certain children a good education and they had good holidays abroad. My Grandfather never really spoke of when he was younger (his 'brother' whom he grew up with left for America when he was 18 and settled there). Thank you all - it's good to have ideas when someone else is looking at it :-)