Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alferd Steedman family history found in loft

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

alfred

alfred Report 17 Jan 2016 19:23

I am looking for relatives of Alfred Steedman born 1828, his father James born 1771, grandfather John born about 1740 and great grandparents Robert Steedman and Elspeth Anderson. John probably had another son Thomas, grandson Charles married to Sophia Hunt and great granddaughter Sophia Steedman and her siblings Mary, Henry, Charles and Emilia. The found paperwork is very interesting. Contact me if you think you may be related.
Sheila

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jan 2016 19:34

Welcome to the boards Sheila.

It's not very likely that anyone connected will just happen across your message.

And a long way forward to find relatives who may be living.

Where did all this happen? If you look to the top of this page - click on Search and then Search all members trees. Enter the details you have and see if any matches come up with other members. You can then contact them via Find out More - and hope you get a reply!

Is that your entry for Alfred Steedman b 1828 Holborn, James 1771 St Martins, John no place of birth 1740? Several other members have a John Steedman b Fife, Scotland 1740 and a Robert Steedman along with an Elspeth Anderson

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 Jan 2016 19:35

Do you have a location ?

Could this be him ?

?Report issue

Name:
Alfred Steedman

Record Type:Baptism
Baptism Date:13 Jul 1828

Father's name:James Steedman
Mother's name:Elizabeth Steedman

Parish or Poor Law Union:Holborn St Giles in the Fields
Borough:Camden

Register Type:Parish Registers

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jan 2016 19:43

Family in 1851 - Alfred has at least 2 siblings

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Endell Street, St Giles in the Fields, St Giles in the Fields & St George Bloomsbury, Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
James Steedman Head Married Male 80 1771 Japanner And Tin Worker St Martins, Middlesex, England
Elizabeth Steedman Wife Married Female 67 1784 - Reading, Berkshire, England
Maria Steedman Daughter Unmarried Female 44 1807 - St Giles, Berkshire, England
George Steedman Son Unmarried Male 25 1826 Tin Plate Worker Berkshire, England
Alfred Steedman Son Unmarried Male 23 1828 Medical Labeler Berkshire, England
Mary Cormer Servant Unmarried Female 22 1829 House Servant Ireland

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 Jan 2016 19:44

Elizabeth Steedman 84 - Reading, Berkshire
Maria Steedman 46
Alfred Steedman 42
Sarah Chant 18

Both Elizabeth and son Alfred were Japaners

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 18 Jan 2016 13:28

I'll let Sheila know how to find her replies. :-)

Maddie

Maddie Report 18 Jan 2016 15:11

??????

probate
Maria Steedman
late of Barton House, Conningham Road, Shepherds Bush, spinster
died 16/01/1887 to Alfred Steedman of 194 Euston Road the brother by half blood and the only next of kin

Name: Maria Steedman
Probate Date: 1 Mar 1887
Registry: Principal Registry
Death Date: 16 Jan 1887
Death Place: Middlesex, England

Maddie

Maddie Report 18 Jan 2016 15:22

Name: Alfred Steedman
Spouse: Catherine Ellen Kirkby
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 1 Aug 1878
Parish: St Pancras Old St Pancras
Borough: Camden
Register Type: Parish Register

Name: Alfred Steedman
Probate Date: 15 Jun 1896
Registry: London, England
Death Date: 28 May 1896
Death Place: Middlesex, England

of 182 stanhope street regents park died 28/05/1896 , proate to slicitor

census do not appear to show any children

alfred

alfred Report 19 Jan 2016 08:59

Hi greyghost, Mike, Maddie and Cynthia,
Thank you for your interesting replies. I am glad to have my guess confirmed that Maria was a half sister. It fits with the long generation gap between Alfred and James. I think James children all died childless. I have sent messages to people who match the family tree for John, Robert, Elspeth and Sophia, this last seems to be a cousin once removed to whom Alfred wrote letters. So far the people likely to be related have not replied.

Regards

Sheila

alfred

alfred Report 19 Jan 2016 11:17

Hi greyghost,
Yes the Alfred tree is my tree, though Alfred is not likely to be a relative of mine.
Hi Mike,
Yes you have got the right Alfred Steedman. He was in Pancras London/Middlesex. Father James and probable uncle Thomas were also in that area. Grandfather John had older siblings all born in Perth Scotland, though I do not know where John was born. Charles father of Sophia was also a japanner. What do you mean by "? report issue."
Thank you
Sheila

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jan 2016 12:10

Don't worry about the 'report issue'. It looks as if it was part of the copy and paste Andrew took from elsewhere. Despite best efforts, we sometimes miss things when we tidy them up on the thread.