Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Randalls Armstrong Walton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 12 Jan 2016 21:47

Randalls Armstrong Walton was born in the Princes Park area of Liverpool 27 October 1883 his parents were John Walton 1841-1896 and Emily Shaw 1848-1921
the family moved to London in 1884 where Randalls was Baptised at Battersea.

His parents were jailed for forgery in 1890 and Randalls and his sibblings were shared out between amongst his Mother's family, in 1891 he was staying with his Grandmother he returned to London and attended various schools in the Battersea-Tooting.

His Father left the family home and returned North in early 1896 and he died at Crawcrook Durham later that year, Emily his wife struggled to cope and various periods were spent in Union Workhouses at Hackney and Clapham.

Randalls Armstrong does not appear on the 1901 or 1911 census or on any other record available his last apperance was on in November 1897 when he was accepted into Clapton Workhouse.

Can anyone out there shed any light on what happend to Randalls (Randle) Armstrong Walton.

malyon

malyon Report 12 Jan 2016 23:26

Randals Armstrong Walton

England and Wales Birth Registration Index

Name Randals Armstrong Walton
Event Type Birth Registration
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 1883
Registration District Prescot
County Lancashire
Event Place Prescot, Lancashire, England
Volume 8B
Page 647
Line Number 298

wonder if he changed his name or was adopted

malyon

malyon Report 12 Jan 2016 23:39

wonder if this is him as I can't find a birth marriage of death for this randle andley

Event Type Census
Event Date 31 Mar 1901
Event Place Wavertree, Lancashire, England
County Lancashire
Civil Parish Wavertree
Ecclesiastical Parish St Thomas
Sub-District Wavertree
Registration District West Derby
Residence Note Cardigan Street
Gender Male
Age 18
Occupation LABOURER GENERAL
Relationship to Head of Household Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated) 1883
Birthplace Liverpool, Lancashire
Schedule Type 200
Page Number 36

Household

Role

Birthplace

Thomas Dixon Head M 72 Broughton
Enma Powell F 59 Bridgenorth, Salop
Morris Powell Son M 20 Shrewsbury
Albert Powell Son M 16 Shrewsbury
Randle Andley Boarder M 18 Liverpool, Lancashire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2016 01:28

London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1659-1930

Rendell Walton
Discharge Date: 25 Sep 1897
Record Type: Discharge
Borough: Hackney
Parish or Poor Law Union: Hackney
Title: Workhouses and Institutions, 1889-1890

It looks as if he was discharged from the Workhouse to the Infirmary by order of the Medical Officer

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Jan 2016 03:39

there are so many R Waltons on passenger lists from the UK between 1897 and 1911 that unfortunately he could probably not be identified, if he were one of them

some have birthdates 1882-1885, some have no birthdates shown

he was a good candidate for being in the Anglo-Boer war, where many young men missing in 1901 can be found

there is one possibility

http://www.britishmedals.us/files/iyw.htm

Walton, R. 27200, Trooper 41st Coy., 4th Bn. I.Y.

findmypast shows 5 R Waltons in the Anglo-Boer War, none with any personal details to identify

(malyon, that name is Randle Audley, born and married in W Derby, died in Blackburn)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 13 Jan 2016 07:04

I have found a Royal Navy Seaman Record as follows
Name Randles Walton, Official Number 204938
Date of birth 27 Oct 1883
Place of birth Roby, Lancs
It does give a description of him
Height 5foot 1/2 inch
Hair Lt
Eyes Blue
Complexion Fair
The details of his service are confusing
Date and period of C.S.Engagement: 27 Oct 1901 - 12 years
But then it states he served on board ' Impregnable' & ' Lion' during the period 22 Jun 1899 & 7 Sep 1900. Reason for discharge 'Invalid Out' but no date.

Record on FMP

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Jan 2016 07:29

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1883

WALTON Ronald A Huyton Prescot HUY/13/66

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi

(if that was his Birth above)

Chris :)

David

David Report 13 Jan 2016 10:02

The Randalls Walton Royal Navy looks logical as I suspect he did not know his place of birth also his younger brother Alfred John was also a Navy Boy from 1901-1904.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jan 2016 10:14

For interest:

David's earlier thread about this family, giving the records he mentions in the opening post above -

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1357074

No definite sign of Randall's sister Emily after 1897, either.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 13 Jan 2016 10:31

Roby is a township on the Liverpool/ Manchester Railway about 4 and a half miles east of Liverpool.Perhaps that is where he was actually born but was easier to say Liverpool. I live on the outskirts of London but I say I come from London rather than the actual place as most people wouldn't have heard of my birth place but they have London.

greyghost

greyghost Report 13 Jan 2016 10:37

The C.S engagement means Continuous Service Engagement which he would have signed on to for 12 years as an initial period of engagement. However, this would not be due to start until aged 18 - note DOB 27th October 1883 and start of CS engagement 27th October 1901.

Prior to this he was serving as a Boy 2nd class on HMS Impregnable for all of 7 days between 22nd and 28th June 1899 before joining HMS Lion on 29th June 1899 still as a Boy 2nd class.

He was then rated Boy 1st Class still as Ships Company on HMS Lion, on I think 1st March 1900, where he served until 7th September 1900 when he was Invalided out of service before he ever got to start his Man's time.

Now to get confusing as Shore Establishments to this day are still called Ships!

HMS Impregnable was a training establishment started at Devonport in 1862, and active until 1929. As training ships were replaced or added to the establishment, each was renamed Impregnable when she took on the role:

So, he had about a week ashore "aboard" a Training ship (Impregnable) probably getting kitted out, learning some basics like drill, how to look after kit etc, before joining another training ship (Lion) anchored offshore for more seaman like training.

HMS Lion was a two-deck 80-gun second rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 29 July 1847 at Pembroke Dockyard.[1]
She was fitted with screw propulsion in 1859. In 1871 Lion was activated as a training ship at Devonport, and for a number of years she was anchored off Torpoint. With the construction of a shore facility at Shotley, Lion was sold out of the navy for breaking up in 1905.[1]

There is also reference on the document to the TS Arethusa (top right under occupation). My guess if he was in the Workhouse up until around Sept.1897 he may then have been "placed" on Arethusa as a disadvantaged child and it was from here that he made the decision to join the Royal Navy.

There have been two Arethusa Training Ships, both run by the charity "Shaftesbury Homes" which is still in existence today. These started life to provide a refuge and give schooling to children (boys) who had been sleeping rough on the streets of London. Through the years they still existed to give a start in life to disadvantaged children of one form or another and all boys left to start a maritime career.

The fourth HMS Arethusa (a 50-gun wooden-walled frigate – built in 1849) became the first TS Arethusa in 1874 and remained in service in this guise until 1933. She was moored on the Thames at Greenhithe in the company of several other training ships. When she became un-seaworthy she was scrapped in 1933.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 13 Jan 2016 10:57

greyghost, that is really interesting!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2016 11:01

Out of interest, there was still an establishment known as HMS Arethusa in Greenhythe in the late 50's, early 60's. I remember being taken out of school to witness the Queens visit. As a friend of the family worked for one of the riverside companies, I was included in his group up against the railings. They'd been newly painted blue in honour of the visit. It hadn't dried! Mum wasn't too pleased when I was returned home with blue paint on my hands and best dress!