Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chaffie family of Holwell, Dorset

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Jan 2016 17:28

I have been working on my family tree in Devon around the Yealmpton/Newton Ferrers/Plymouth area.
A big sticking point has been Richard Chaffey married in 1733 at Newton Ferrers and claiming to be from Charles, Plymouth. I have never found a baptism for him in Plymouth, its surrounds in Devon and Cornwall nor indeed further afield in Devon. The y tag to the name is also interesting as various vicars who did not have problems with the local name Chaffe seemed to persistently want to add a y to his name. Equally a man marrying at Charles, Plymouth in 1740 has the same problem. He is also rather oddly entered as Brother John Chaffey. This also happens when he chr. children at Plympton and then in St. Andrews, Plymouth.
At the time he settles down to have the bulk of his family in St. Andrews parish my Richard wh has in between times lived in Brixton and Holbeton moves to St Andrews Plymouth. I have felt the two are related.
I had thought John was called Brother John because he was a Free Mason. The Masons said it was sounding likely but could not confirm it as records in Devon were destroyed later in the C18th.
Recently however I tried again to find clues to my Richard etc. I found that in 1706 a Richard Chaffie was presented by Henry and Elizabeth Chaffie for baptism at Holwell, Somerset - now Dorset - and in 1717 they oddly presented another son in 1717 and had him called Brother John Chaffie.
I have also found that a Stephen Chaffe who was settled in Yealmpton by 1779 was referred to in a settlement order at Dunsford, Devon,of 1775 as Chaffie and also as Chaffie in a maintenance order at Yealmpton 1780. The added ie is again making me think of Holwell.
Stephen's birthplace is said to be at Broad Hoe Lane, Plymouth and I would guess around 1750. I wonder whether anyone is able to access St. Andrew records at this time to check his father's name for me?
Also I am wondering whether anyone is investigating the Chaffies in Holwell and might have a better grasp of where the said Henry and Elizabeth married or indeed whether their sons Richard and Brother John can be found in any other Dorset records to refrute the idea they may have travelled quite a bit further west in their lives and ended up in Plymouth

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2016 17:53

to discover if anyone else is researching this family on this site, use "Search" top right hand corner of this page

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2016 17:59

NEWTON FERRERS IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

FARMERS

Richard Chaffe
John Cornthwaite
William Doddridge
Richard Loye
Robert Luscombe
Charles Martin
Newton Ferrers in White 1850 - devonheritage.org

www.devonheritage.org/Places/Newton Ferrers...

NEWTON FERRERS IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850 . ... The manor of Newton anciently belonged to the Ferrers family, ... Richard Chaffe John Cornthwaite

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2016 18:11

Chafe, Christopher Bef. 1693 ?
Chafe, Christopher Abt. 1708 Dean Prior, Devon, England. 11 April 1708 Christopher Chafe
Chafe, John Abt. 1696 Buckfastleigh, Devon, England. Thirsa Manning 24 September 1714
Chafe, Mary Abt. 1713 Dean Prior, Devon, England. 1 November 1713 James Beer 3 July 1747 St. George's Church, Dean Prior, Devon, England. Christopher Chafe
Chaffe, Anne Bef. 1806 Laurence Shillabeer 30 September 1821 Holy Trinity Church, Buckfastleigh, Devon, England.
Chaffe, Elizabeth Bef. 1799 Philip Boon 18 November 1814 St. George's Church, Modbury, Devon, England.
Chaffe, Elizabeth Windeatt Abt. 1782 Philip Boon 18 November 1814 St. George's Church, Modbury, Devon, England
Chaffe, Jane Bef. 1745 George Gidley 14 August 1770 St. Mary's Church, Rattery, Devon, England.
Chaffe, John Bef. 1699 Alice Manning 21 September 1714 South Brent, Devon, England.
Chaffe, John Bef. 1734 Elizabeth Pullyblank 7 May 1749 St. George's Church, Modbury, Devon, England.
Chaffe, Priscilla Bef. 1623 Walter Shillabeer 16 October 1638 Holy Trinity Church, Buckfastleigh, Devon, England.

Family with the Surname beginning with C, South...

kaysway.org/c.htm

... Devon, England Chaffe, ... Philip Abt. 1700 Buckfastleigh, Devon, England. 2 February ... William Abt. November 1807 Newton Ferrers, Devon, England. 15 November ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2016 18:14

Thomas Chafe | WikiTree: The FREE Family Tree

www.wikitree.com/wiki/Chafe-4

Genealogy collaboration for Thomas Chafe born 1560 Exeter, Devon, England died 1604 Exeter, Devon, England including ancestry + more in the free family tree community.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2016 22:14

Hi Nicola,

you might want to talk to Deb Kennett who runs the Devon DNA project at Family Tree DNA - she is very knowledgeable about Devon surnames

I did a search at FTDNA for projects for surnames beginning CHAF and these are the results

https://www.familytreedna.com/surname-search-results.aspx?sType=bw&Searchname2=chaf

no one by such a surname currently belongs to the project

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/devon/default.aspx?section=ycolorized

but the Devon project surnames list shows Chaffe included in the Devon project surnames

https://www.familytreedna.com/project-join-request.aspx?group=Devon

Devon parish baptisms at FindMyPast show only, for 1780-1820

First name(s) Richard
Last name Chaffe
Birth year -
Baptism year 1705
Baptism date 28 Oct 1705
Denomination Anglican
Baptism place Dean Prior
Father's first name(s) Christopher
County Devon

the Devon Family History Society is notoriously miserly with its records

you can do a basic search here to see where a surname occurs

http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/surnames.htm

but you have to purchase printouts to hope to find what you want

put CHAF* in the search box ............. and the result is no baptisms before 1813

I have found the discussion board very helpful, years ago

http://members.boardhost.com/devonfhs/

and you might find that a member would check their printouts for you (but don't ask! as I believe this is discouraged)

or that someone with local or surname knowledge might see your message

do try sending Deb a message though, and consider joining the Devon project and having a male-line descendant, if you have one handy, do a YDNA test and you might find a match in future

Nicola

Nicola Report 11 Jan 2016 14:32

Thank you all for your replies. I did look at the trees on this site to see whether anyone was researching Chaffies in Holwell - only two people seemed to have any listed. One replied but had not been working on the family of Henry and Elizabeth Chaffie.
I have explored a lot in Devon the old fashioned way at the archives laboriously working on Richard and 'Brother John Chaffe(y). Richard does not connect to the Christopher one of you kindly suggested. That Richard married and would have been a bigamist running between the two if he also married my ancestor, Susanna Bush at Newton Ferrers in 1733.
Apart from checking every parish in Devon 4-5 parishes wide all along the south Devon coast to the Devon border and doing similar along the length of the Tamar, running north of Plymouth I also went into the parishes on the Cornwall side that were once part of Devon.
This is why I am interested in this Holwell offering. I think it more than likely my Richard and the Brother John Chaffey came from some distance away from Plymouth and because of the 'y' tag to their name I think it likely they were not Devonians. They said their name quite differently to the local Chaffes.
I wish I could get to the Dorset Record Office and indeed the Somerset Office as pursuing this line of enquiry will involve working at parishes joining to the Vale of Blackmore (once in Somerset but now in Dorset) but a mother in her 90s makes that not very practical at the moment.
Anyone thanks once again for your valiant efforts

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Jan 2016 15:41

I feel your pain. :-)

I appear to have the name Hoar/Hoare in both the maternal and paternal lines in one of my Cornwall (or ?) families - in the female line from a marriage c1820, and in the male line because her husband, while his surname was something completely different, appears to have been a Cornwall Hoar according to the YDNA carried by his gr-gr-grandson.

The Cornwall Hoars are well documented back to the beginning of recorded time (the 1500s), which is probably around when my line and the line we matched intersect.

In the maternal Hoare line, I can find only the bride's father marrying and baptising children and being buried, giving me a year of birth but no more (and fathering children before marriage, so the bounden on the bastardy orders give me a couple of other names in his family). Anyway -- he might well be a cousin of the Hoares in the same area who went from Cornwall to Dorset in his generation, and thus might have been from there. Or somewhere else!

If you run into any Hoares pre-1750 in your Dorset travels, let me know. :-D

Meanwhile, I'd probably be following the same idea as you, and thinking your Chaffey boys were from away.

I really do suggest YDNA testing. Often, it will come up with nothing at all. That is the case in my dad's line - I think his 18th century ancestors were an only son of an only son of an only son and the end of their line in their village, until that last one got fruitful.

But you might find a geographic match, even if the surname is different, which could indicate a common origin before surnames (or a 'non-paternal event' that resulted in one of the lines taking a maternal surname, for example). That is the case in my mum's paternal line, and has made for a whole new problem to solve. :-)