Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert William Downes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

carol

carol Report 7 Jan 2016 23:11

Looking for any information on my grandfather, and his family. He was Albert William Downes known as Bill and was born 1917, in London. His parents were William Ernest Downes and Beatrice Allistone. Thanks

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 23:13

Hi and welcome Carol.

You are looking for information about his parents and their ancestors?

or about any brothers and sisters he had and their descendants?

it is always wise to say what info you have and what info you are looking for, since 'any information' doesn't make it clear what you would like to know

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 23:15

for our info, from http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

so we know at least some of what you know

parents' marriage

Marriages Mar 1908
ALLISTONE Beatrice Kingston 2a 587
Downes William Ernest Kingston 2a 587

children born 1911 onward (when mother's surname was included in the index)

Births Dec 1913
Downes Alfred R Allistone Wandsworth 1d 894

Births Dec 1915
Downes Frederick A Allistone Wandsworth 1d 1155

Births Mar 1917
Downes Albert W Allistone Wandsworth 1d 1116

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 23:19

the household in 1911 in Wandsworth

William Ernest Downes 28 born Lambeth, club barman
Beatrice Downes 22 born Merton
Alfred William Joseph Downes 1
Charles J Downes 41 brother
Percy Downes 30 brother, single
Alice Downes 31 brother's wife
Percy Edward Downes 7 nephew
William Charles Downes 0 nephew

will wait for more info about what you would like to know, Carol, rather than 'finding' things you may already know

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jan 2016 11:49

I'll let Carol know how to find her replies :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2016 15:13

Cynthia is on the job! :-D

carol

carol Report 8 Jan 2016 15:44

Thank you for the above information, I wasn't sure how specific to be. Basically I know little about Albert William Downes (Bill) my grandfather, his early life or his parents lives other than dates. I know he had a brother who died in WW2 and another Fred who lived to old age and I think had a family who I would like to try and find.
My grandfathers mother died in 1922 and his father remarried an Eleanor Coxl he then died in1933 so I would also like to trace Bill's step parents. I think she then remarried a Charles Ballinger.
I would just like to find out what happened to them. Thanks

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2016 16:58

So Alfred did not marry - his parents are named on his CWGC memorial page; had he been married, his wife would have been named

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2218041/DOWNES,%20ALFRED%20ROBERT

DOWNES, ALFRED ROBERT
Service No: 6138902
Date of Death: 25/10/1942
Regiment/Service: East Yorkshire Regiment 5th Bn.
Panel Reference: Column 57.
Memorial: ALAMEIN MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of William Ernest and Beatrice Downes.

This seems likely to be Frederick's death - birth year is one year out but that was not uncommon, and there is no FAD born in 1914 to match the death

Name: Frederick Albert Downes
Birth Date: 15 Sep 1914
Date of Registration: Sep 1983
Age at Death: 69
Registration district: Crawley
Inferred County: West Sussex
Volume: 18
Page: 1645

although it seems odd that with sons Albert, Alfred and Frederick, confusing enough already, they would give Frederick the middle name Albert

This marriage seems most likely of the several for the name to be him

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Marriages Jun 1941
Downes Frederick A Hall Wandsworth 1d 1058
HALL Frances E Downes Wandsworth 1d 1058

but you would really need to see the certificate to check the age and father's name

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

if you can verify the marriage, you can search at freebmd, link above, for children born to that couple, by their two surnames

the surname combination is unfortunately too common to identify births without more info

do you know the people who have Frederick Downes 1915 Wandsworth in their trees at this site?

www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/downes/frederick?yearofbirth=1915

if not you should try to send them messages by clicking on the 'Find out more' button; if they have current email addresses in their accounts here, they will receive notices of your messages

also search trees there for other family members of course, and also consider putting up your own tree with these names in it so other people will find you if they search

alviegal

alviegal Report 8 Jan 2016 22:06

William E Downes' Army Service Record has sons Alfred Robert b 9/10/1913 and Frederick Albert b 15/09/1915 so the death you found above is correct. Also Albert William b 27/01/1917.

They lived at 4 Littleton Street, Earlsfield SW18.

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Transcription
Print transcription View image
First name(s) William Ernest
Last name Downes
Service number 24133
Regiment East Surrey Regiment
Unit / Battalion 107th Battalion
Event year 1916
Age 33
Birth year 1883

Silver War Badge Roll Transcription

Learn more
Print transcription
First name(s) William Ernest
Last name Downes
Service number 30738
Rank Private
Badge number 188016
Enlistment date 22-Jul-1916
Discharge date 01-Jun-1917
Regiment/unit E. Surreys.
Cause of discharge Sickness Para 392 (xvi) King's Regulation
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 13-Jun-1917
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2016 23:18

thanks alviegal!

just to add, the young son in the 1911 census:

Births Mar 1910
DOWNES Alfred W J Wandsworth 1d 713

Deaths Mar 1913
Downes Alfred W J 3 Wandsworth 1d 842

in case you had not known of him, Carol

carol

carol Report 9 Jan 2016 15:38

Many thanks for all the information.
I did have some idea about Alfred who died age 3 but it was only "family talk" nothing concrete.
I wasn't sure whether William E. Downes had served in WW1. It says cause of discharge was sickness is there any way we can find out what that means as he didn't seem to serve for very long.
Also according to my mother, her father Albert William Downes served in WW2 she thinks in Iceland and Italy but I can't find any evidence of this.
I have sent requests for info from a another member who has Fred in his tree but I've no answer yet and the other tree belongs to my cousin Linda who I've already discussed with.
Many thanks for all your help

alviegal

alviegal Report 9 Jan 2016 20:10

He was discharged for 'being no longer physically fit for war service under para 392 (xvi) KRs (King's Regulations). You can read about that on this link http://www.military-researcher.co.uk/KingsRegs1912/Para392Introduction.html

If you google you will find many different links.

I have not been able to find what was the reason for his being no longer fit though.

carol

carol Report 11 Jan 2016 17:00

Many thanks. I was curious to know whether he became ill in the course of his service or was not that well when he was conscripted, and whether his service contributed to his death at the fairly young age of 50+.