Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IVY V M CAVELL/CAVILL Lymington Hampshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2016 16:45

Hi,

Can anyone help locate this lady from the 1920s onwards please?

She was the daughter of Charlotte ‘Florence’ NUTBEAM and Arthur Frederick CAVILL - the latter died in WW1. She was born Ivy V M CAVILL on 31 December 1913. However, she appears to have died in 2002 as Ivy Victoria M CAVELL.

I believe Ivy may have married a Maurice G HENDY in Lynington, in the Quarter ending March 1931. They had a daughter, Joy, in 1946 - possibly there were more children, but I can't 'see' them anywhere.

If anyone has access to the Electoral Roll for Lymington, that might give an address.

Many thanks in advance for any help or indeed suggestions.

Regards
Jane

Gee

Gee Report 3 Jan 2016 16:50

This death is registered in the married name

Name:Ivy Victoria Hendy

Birth Date:31 Dec 1913

Date of Registration:Oct 2002

Age at Death:88

Registration district:New Forest

Inferred County:Hampshire, New Forest

Register Number:5B

District and Subdistrict:4941B

Entry Number:153

Added:

1939 register that you view at FMP

Hendy Household Lymington M.B., Hampshire, England

Maurice Hendy 1903
Ivy Hendy is also on this record
2 more people who are officially closed

malyon

malyon Report 3 Jan 2016 16:51

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)
CAVILL Ivy V M Nutbeam N. Forest 2b 1225

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2016 16:54

Thanks Gins & Malyon, for having a look at this.

I hadn't tried the 1939 Register ....

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2016 16:57

Freebmd shows one possible son born 1931 Lymington, daughter 1936 New Forest?

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2016 17:12

Hi Rambling Rose,

That's marvellous - I'd obviously only looked at 'Cavell' for some reason! THere seems to have been another daughter, Joy V, but I can't now be sure ... this birth is logged as Dec 1946 on FreeBMD.

I also unlocked the 1939 Register file and found Ivy, Maurice and Jeffery HENDY living at Chapel Lane, Ashley, Lymington.

Jeffery seems to have married a Daphne VIBERT in Sep 1954.

Thanks very much, feels like I'm getting somewhere now!

Jane

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2016 17:13

Malyon the 1946 birth for Joy gives mmn as Cavell .

Jane, The probate for Ivy would appear to be on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
buying that or the death cert might help you find relatives if you wish to do so.

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2016 17:14

Hi Malyon,

There seems to have been some error in transcribing the correct surname in the old records - CAVILL (the right spelling) and CAVELL (wrong spelling).

Ivy's mother died as 'CAVELL' ... and I sense that she may not have been able to read and write, so relied on someone else's spelling.

This is a real nuisance as there are quite a few of both surnames to sort through!

Kind regards
Jane

malyon

malyon Report 3 Jan 2016 17:16

Cavell Ivy V R M Hendy Lymington 2b 1081

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2016 17:17

There is no other Hendy / Cavell marriage in the area so I think it is safe to assume Joy's birth may well be right.

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2016 17:22

Thanks for your combined thoughts, chaps!

Looks like I'll have to buy (and wait for) that death cert after all ... but you've all given me an information boost that'll keep me going for a bit on finding descendants.

Actually, what I'm hoping for is that someone will have a photograph of my 2nd Great Aunt Florence ... my elderly mother has vague recollections of her and a photo might jog some more memories.

Thank you all so much for talking the time to 'travel' with me for a while, much appreciated.

Kind regards
Jane