Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death record for grandfather in Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 11 Oct 2015 16:37

Hi, I wonder if anyone has access to Canadian death records? My grandfather emigrated from the UK and died there (not sure which province) on 5 November 1983. He was called Patrick Upton (b. 1928) and was married to Alice.

I'd like to see a death record if possible.

Thanks,
Hannah

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Oct 2015 17:21

A tree on Ancestry says that he died that date in Toronto, Ontario.

Hannah

Hannah Report 11 Oct 2015 17:36

Thank you Margee :)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Oct 2015 17:45

Unfortunately Ontario deaths only go up to 1938 online.

Hannah

Hannah Report 11 Oct 2015 19:21

Knowing Ontario I should hopefully be able to get a death certificate with the name and DOB and DOD.

Thanks
H

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Oct 2015 20:21

There are a number of sites purporting to be 'official'. This one staes that it is "the only government-authorized source for Ontario death certificates. It’s safer, cheaper and faster."

Cheaper and faster than who/what??

http://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-death-certificate-online
Cost
file-size death certificate: $15
certified death certificate: $22
certified death certificate + medical (includes cause of death) is only available through paper application: $22

Its certainly cheaper than the Number 1 hit
http://www.vitalcertificates.ca/ontario/death-certificate/

Death Certificate – $65.00
Certified Copy of Death Registration – $75.00 each
Rush Service – Reduces processing and delivery time to 5 to 7 business days – $110.00 each – RUSH SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR DELIVERY OUTSIDE CANADA.
Search Letter – 6 to 8 weeks – $65.00 ($15 extra for each additional name searched)

Sheesh - Certified copy $15 v $75?? Thats one heck of a profit!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Oct 2015 10:43

The information on those Ancestry trees have a marriage that indicates he was married to Marion, not Alice.

This is the marriage that they link to:

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1952

ANDREWS Marion I E UPTON Bristol 7b 241
Upton Patrick H R Andrews Bristol 7b 241

Hannah

Hannah Report 17 Oct 2015 23:15

Sorry have not been online for a few days due to a bluescreening computer!

Thank you +++DetEcTive+++ I really have to pick and choose which certificates I can afford, even in the UK!

Thanks MarieCeleste - Marion is my grandmother. He remarried in the 1960s and then moved to Canada with his second wife Alice.

Hannah

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Oct 2015 02:25

Detective, ontario.ca actually is the official government of Ontario website :-)

vitalcertificates.ca is a commercial operation ... it uses that name because 'vital records' are what Canadian provinces call BMDs, which are handled by vital statistics offices that are equivalent to the GRO, and that company wants to 'look' official although it definitely is not

it is unfortunate that google search results give it priority (it's actually an advertisement, but that isn't always as clear as it might be) ... as I find every time I google for the vital records office of a province someone asks about here ... and fall for it half the time ...

http://www.ontario.ca/faq/where-are-vital-statistics-offices-each-canadian-province

it would certainly be clearer if the ontario.ca website didn't say
'the only government-authorized source for Ontario death certificates'
because Service Ontario isn't actually 'government-authorized', it is government :-)

Hannah unfortunately 1983 is too far back for obituaries to be accessible on line directly, but it is possible to buy a short-term subscription to the Toronto Star archives, which is where his death would most likely have been announced ...

http://www.thestar.com/about/archive-search.html

although at 10 CAD for a week it is not much less than a certificate ... but keep in mind that 2 Canadian dollars make one pound :-)

however, an obituary would likely tell you something about his family, if that is what is of interest

for info, they do not appear in the Canadian voters' lists (at Ancestry up to 1980) so likely they did not take Canadian citizenship

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Oct 2015 01:06

Until 1975, British citizens who were ordinarily resident Canada had the right to vote in federal elections, so would appear on voters' lists.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Oct 2015 01:15

As a British citizen I voted in Canadian elections up to 1975 and was consequently on voter's lists. It wasn't until after that that I became a Canadian citizen in order to vote.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Oct 2015 04:03

well, for whatever reason, they aren't on the voters' list :-)

(my idea of looking for them there was of course to confirm where they were living, to help in possibly finding an obituary)

Hannah

Hannah Report 22 Oct 2015 18:59

Thank you all for the additional info