Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Rae Cameron - Church Gresley & Stonebroom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 5 Oct 2015 23:47

Robert Rae Cameron b.1911 in Dumfries, Scotland. Born in Scotland but he lived his adult life mainly in Church Gresley and for a short time in Stonebroom, Derbyshire. I am mainly interested in his life in Derbyshire. He was a Police constable and when he died in 1991 he was a Chief Security Officer.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2015 00:09

You don't say what kind of information you are looking for. This looks like his marriage:-

First name(s) Robert Rae
Last name Cameron
Marriage year 1938
Parish Church Gresley Methodist Church York Road
Place Church Gresley
Spouse's first name Joan Margaret
Spouse's last name Adams
Reference A521a/03/013
Register Office South Derbyshire (Derby)
County Derbyshire
Country England

and possible child from that marriage:-

First name(s) JEAN M
Last name CAMERON
Birth year 1941
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's last name ADAMS
District DERBY
County Derbyshire
Country England
Volume 7B
Page 1089

Kath. x

Ann

Ann Report 6 Oct 2015 01:06

Sorry Kath, you are right, but I just wanted to put it out there, then I was going to add to it. I have his birth marriage and death. A few minutes ago I found his cremation at Bretby Crematorium. But we do not know anymore about him, except that he was a police constable, mainly in Church Gresley. He was related to my friend and I am doing her family tree for her. I've been to the Records Office in Matlock, seen him in Electoral Rolls and in the Phone Books (Ancestry). I asked them for the Police Records that they have in the Records Office. But they will not show me(Data Protection) unless I pay them £17 per half hour and they will search the records. I was just hoping to find someone on here that was also researching his family, for a possible photo at least. But I doubt that I will. thanks anyway

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 6 Oct 2015 09:11

There are a few articles referring to Robert Rae Cameron in the Derby Daily Telegraph.

1938:- Derby Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 15 June, article re his marriage to Joan Margaret Adams. Pearson Cameron, Robert's brother was best man.

..."Robert Rae Cameron, eldest son of Mrs Laurie and of the lat Mr Cameron of Bridge Street, Locker Bie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland"
------------------------------------------------------------------

1947:- He was attacked at Burton by a gang of men who were stealing a lorry load of whisky:

Derby Daily Telegraph - Thursday 06 November 1947

"Police constable Robert Rae Cameron (35) of Chapel Street Church Gresley, who was attacked by the gang is still detained in Burton infirmary where he was stated today as 'comfortable'.

Police constable Cameron, now a member of the LMS Police, previously served with Derby County Police at Woodville, Swadlincote, Newhall, Darley Dale and Littleover where he was stationed at the time of his marriage eight years ago."
---------------------------------------------

1948:- Derby Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 02 June. He was awarded a BEM (Bristish Empire Medal- Civil Division) for 'courage and outstanding devotion to duty' when tackling the whisky thieves. He is described as Robert Rae Cameron, (35) railway policeman of 31 Chapel Street, Church Gresley.
----------------------------------------------------

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 6 Oct 2015 12:05

A little extra re BEM..1948

CAMERON Robert Rae Police Const 1948 B.E.M. For courage and outstanding devotion to duty at Burton-on-Trent on 4th November 1947 when he prevented the theft of whisky valued at £4000 at No. 2 Bonded Stores.
Noted as a D.C. (Birmingham) in 1947. Probably promoted as a result of the incident.

http://www.btphg.org.uk/?page_id=378

Ann

Ann Report 6 Oct 2015 12:44

Wow! AustinQ that is amazing! Thank you so much, I never thought I would get so much information as that. It really gives me an insight to what sort of man he was. I was just off to the library in Chesterfield hoping to go through some old Newspapers. Looks like you have done that, I am curious to know how you came up with so much information. I was looking at trawling through hours and hours of film! Thank you so much.

Ann

Ann Report 6 Oct 2015 13:11

Thank you so much Eringobragh1916! I have printed that off!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Oct 2015 14:00

There is a picture of him the the 1947 newspaper artical...

British Newspapers can be accessed and view from this site,,,there is a charge by buying credits though.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 6 Oct 2015 15:33

Hello Ann, glad the information was of interest. I've sent the article with a photo of him by pm.

The articles were found on the British Newspaper Archive, but they can also be searched on Find My Past and on Genesreunited.

alviegal

alviegal Report 6 Oct 2015 19:16

Also a very sad case in which he was involved.

CHILD'S DEATH FALL BEDROOM WINDOW CATCH LOOSE ....A Littleover mother last night described to the Derby Borough Coroner ........
.... to pick him up, and ran next door to telephone for a doctor. The child was taken to the Infirmary. Police-constable Robert Rae Cameron, of the Derbyshire Constabulary, stationed at Littleover, said that examined the window, which was of the casement type
10 March 1939 - Derby Daily Telegraph - Derby, Derbyshire, England

An 18 month old child, Robert Stuart Summers, died after falling 12 feet out a window.

R R Cameron was the local policeman who dealt with the tragic accident.

Ann

Ann Report 6 Oct 2015 22:42

Thank you Kay, I will get on to that this evening!

Alviegal: Thank you for that info. I will check this out, yes very sad.