Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking to find out more about Edna V Taylor ,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 16 Aug 2015 14:07

Looking to find out more about Edna V Taylor , b.1902 CheltenhamCheltenham, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom.

I have a 1911 census for her @ 70 Upper Charles St Leicester
Parish Leicester
County Leicestershire
Country England
Ecclesiastical District
Enumeration District 8
Registration District Leicester
Registration District Number 407
SubDistrict Number 2
Category Census, Land & Surveys
Record set 1911 Census for England & Wales
Collections from Great Britain

She was my grandfather Albert George Taylor's sister - he was born 1904.

Her mother was Edna Chapman and her father Albert Start Taylor. She had 5 siblings.

What i cant be sure of is a marriage for her... I beleive it to be to a Samulel A Harris 1930 leicestershire.

And potential child Pamela M Harris 1934... I can only find a birth record then the investigation runs cold... I wanted to try and find any known relatives that are alive?

Thanks
Emma

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:15

Related thread, concentrates on Frank b 1907

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1352629

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
70 Upper Charles St Leicester, Leicester, Leicestershire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Albert S Taylor Head Married Male Commission Agent 38 1873 Leicestershire Lester
Edna Taylor Wife Married Female Shop Keeper 35 1876 Nottinghamshire Mansfield
Edna V Taylor Daughter - Female - 9 1902 Gloucestershire Cheltenham
Albert G Taylor Son - Male - 7 1904 Leicestershire Lester
Frank F Taylor Son - Male - 4 1907 Leicestershire Lester

Gee

Gee Report 16 Aug 2015 14:15

Births Dec 1901 (>99%)
Taylor Edna Verina Cheltenham 6a 436

Name:Edna Verina Harris

Birth Date:20 Sep 1901

Date of Registration:Dec 1971

Age at Death:70

Registration district:Leicester

Inferred County:Leicestershire

Volume:3a

Page:1899

The death seems to match up to the birth so it looks like she did marry Harris

The marriage certificate would give you her fathers details

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:19

Using this free site -

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Unusual middle name that might help and actually born 1901 - there was a 6 week period after a birth in which to register it, so could have been born mid-late August if registered in December Quarter.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Dec 1901 (>99%)
Taylor Edna Verina Cheltenham 6a 436

Surname First name(s) DoB District Vol Page
Deaths Dec 1971 (>99%)
HARRIS Edna Verina 20Se1901 Leicester 3a 1899

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:33

There appears to be only the one birth in Leicester for a Harris mmn Taylor, however, unfortunately, although Edna was in Leicester in 1911 and died there in 1971, there can be no definite that the family didn't move around meantimes. Likewise there are plenty of Pamela M Harris marriages but not in Leicester.

You might have to chase descendants of her siblings.

Emma

Emma Report 16 Aug 2015 14:40

Its all a bit of a mystery... Frank her other brother didnt get married or have a family, her sister Emma Taylor married William Ford and had two children. I have been in contact with a lady who married their son and got very limited information from them apart from a few pictures, and my grandfather was Albert George Taylor b 1904 abandoned my grandmother to live with another woman in the 70s - so my father never spoke of him... since my father died in 2007 i have been trying to fill in the gaps of his side. Hard when you dont have any stories etc. Thank you for your efforts

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:40

Harris Edna Verina of 61 Queens Road, Blaby, Leicestershire. Died 24th October 1971. Probate Nottingham 7th December.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=harris&yearOfDeath=1971&page=7#calendar

A copy of her will may be useful. From the above site

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Aug 2015 14:49

??? As she married a Samuel A Harris, this could be a possibility.

First name(s) SAMUEL ARTHUR
Last name HARRIS
Gender Male
Birth day 20
Birth month 6
Birth year 1903
Death quarter 3
Death year 1985
District LEICESTER CENTRAL
Register number 885
County Leicestershire
Volume 6
Page 1384
Country England

Might be interesting to see who registered the death if this is her husband.

Whetstone is next to Blaby

Probate - Harris, Samuel Arthur of 7 Elizabeth Gardens, Whetstone, Leicester died 20 August 1985 Probate Oxford 14 October

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=harris&yearOfDeath=1985&page=26#calendar

This will just get you to the site so you can hunt for other records - they'll only be there if an estate went to probate though and not all do.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

Emma

Emma Report 16 Aug 2015 16:41

Thanks i didnt even though this was available - thank you

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Aug 2015 19:54

Going by the record on Gloucester BMD for the 1901 birth it all seems to tie up as the mother's maiden name was Chapman:

Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry

TAYLOR Edna V TAYLOR TAYLOR CHAPMAN 1901 Cheltenham Cheltenham, Cheltenham 8A 373