Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harold Thomas -Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 19 Jul 2015 06:22

Hi All,

I have been trying to find information on my great Uncle Harold Thomas and his family. He was born in Australia in 1932 and died in 1994. I have not been able to verify this yet as I can't get access to those years on NSW BDM. His wife was Elaine Thomas (nee Nott) and they had 4 children (who I assume are still living so I won't divulge their names incase of breach of privacy. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 Jul 2015 06:49

Are you looking for family coming forward or going back?

Karin

Karin Report 19 Jul 2015 09:21

Hi

From NSWBDM
In 1951 Thomas HAROLD married Elaine Isabella NOTT in the district of Hamilton NSW

This could be your Harold from Ryerson Index
THOMAS Harold Funeral notice 16FEB1994 Funeral late of Jesmond Newcastle Herald

and Elaine
THOMAS Elaine Isabella Funeral notice 13MAR2006 Publication late of Barnsley Newcastle Herald

It would appear that a divorce was applied for in 1970
Item number or control symbol: 2847/1970
Title: Divorce papers Elaine Isabella Thomas - Harold Thomas
Start date: 11 Jun 1970
End date: 04 Aug 1971

Karin

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jul 2015 09:27

The Ryson Index lists the following notices

THOMAS Harold Funeral notice 15FEB1994 Publication late of Jesmond Newcastle Herald 15FEB1994

THOMAS Harold Funeral notice 16FEB1994 Funeral late of Jesmond Newcastle Herald 16FEB1994

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

If you think its the correct person, you could contact the NSW Ask A Librarian service and request a transcript/copy
http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/ask/

Even if no relatives are named, the Funeral Directors probably are. Although they must also respect the Privacy regulations, they may be able to confirm or advise the name of the nok or person who arranged the funeral.

You may also be able to contact the cemetary/crematorium named to see what details they would be willing to give you.

Edit - hadn't realised the above Ryerson notices had been added whilst I was typing. Sorry

Gee

Gee Report 19 Jul 2015 09:37

Name:Elaine Isabella & Harold Thomas (carpenter)

Electoral Year:1958

Subdistrict:Forster <<Beech St

State:New South Wales

District:Lyne

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 19 Jul 2015 11:01

Thank you all for your help! You are all wonderful!! :) I have the names of his 4 children but have been unable to locate them, I guess their daughter would be married so that makes it harder! Lol!! They also had 3 sons. My mother & her siblings lost touch with their cousins many years ago so no-one there was much help :( But The Ryerson entries seem to be them!! Thank you Karin & Detective :) At least this also gives me an idea of suburbs to start looking for their children. Thanks again to all of you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jul 2015 11:38

1980 is the last ER year held on Ancestry

Name: Elaine Isabella Thomas
Electoral Year: 1980
Subdistrict: West Wallsend
State: New South Wales
District: Hunter
77 George St. - there is another word in the fold of the page which might be Barnsley.

At the same address were Mer*** and St*v** -I would have added the full names, but respect your choice not to. Hopefully they are the sons you know of. Occupations are also given. Unfortunately they are in the page fold!

Name: Elaine Isabella Thomas
Electoral Year: 1972
Subdistrict: West Wallsend
State: New South Wales
District: Hunter
Residence Address: 6 George St, Bmsly 2301

No other Thomas at the same address - perhaps the children were too young to vote?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jul 2015 11:43

http://www.whitepages.com.au/index.jsp?referrer=serp
Australian phone book on line.
Depending on the info gleaned from the funeral notices, it might be worth playing with the site

There are 2 entries for M Thomas in Barnsley in NSW. Might be your M; might not.
Not sure if the Ask Librarian service would confirm if one is 'M', but there is no harm in asking

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Jul 2015 11:11

Thank you ++DetEcTive+++!! The names are in deed correct for 2 of the sons!! Thank you so much!! Its funny I have relatives from my paternal family that live in Barnsley if only we knew Elaine was there :( Thank you so much!! Your help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 21 Jul 2015 09:38

Kathryn there are two listings in the telephone directory for the surname THOMAS in Jesamond (a J R and an L) - since this is the area that Harold & Elaine passed away I would think it worth a try too if Barnsley doesn't work out.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/index.jsp?referrer=serp