Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opinions, please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2015 10:02

I'll present the facts, as I know them, and look for suggestions and/or a solution.

Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
BERKLEY Kathleen Alice BERKLEY BERKLEY WARGENT 1882 Gloucester Gloucester, Newent 20 115

Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
COOGAN Vincent James BERKLEY Kathleen Alice Gloucester Newent St Mary the Virgin 1917 54 No 2 441

Births Jun 1918 (>99%)
Coogan Norah Berkley Tynemouth 10b 426

No death for Vincent as far as I can see. He was born Ireland, so may have returned there..............( see last entry)

Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
ASTON Frank George COOGAN Kathleen Alice Cheltenham Cheltenham Register Office 1933 57 103

ASTON Frank G ASTON ASTON GUEST 1873 Cheltenham Cheltenham, Cheltenham 71 410

ASTON FRANK G 1873 1944 1944 Deaths & burials Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England

First name(s) KATHLEEN ALICE Last name COOGAN
Birth day 9 Birth month 8 Birth year 1882
Death quarter 4 Death year 1969
District NEWTON ABBOT County Devon
Volume 7A Page 1494

My query...........are the first and last records on the list the same woman?

And, of course, please, any suggestion as to why the death would be in her first married name.......................apart from bigamy. :-0

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Jul 2015 10:11

I haven't had a look yet, but do see the first marriage certificate on Ancestry- I can send it if you don't have a copy:

Name: Vincent James Coogan (silk mercer, of S. Andrews, Newcastle on Tyne)
Birth Year: abt 1882
Marriage Date: 2 Jun 1917
Father: John Coogan (flour merchant)
Spouse: Kathleen Alice Berkley (Millener of Broad St, Newent)
Spouse Age: 34
Spouse Father: James Henry Berkley (watchmaker)
Event Type: Marriage
Parish: Newent, Gloucestershire, England

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2015 10:13

That would be much appreciated, Gritty.

It confirms my research as to Vincent's father

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Jul 2015 10:18

Sent :-)

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Jul 2015 10:35

Still looking, no help to your query but as I'd found it, I thought I'd add (you may already have it):

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 09 June 1917

The wedding of Mr Vincent James Coogan, Newcastle, son of John Coogan, Navan, Ireland, and Kathleen Alice, eldest daughter of Mr J H Berkley, Broad Street, Newent took place on Saturday morning at the parish church of St. Mary's. The Rev Canon W. H Connor, Rector, officiated at the ceremony which was of a very quiet nature. The Bride and Bridegroom left by the 11.5 train for Tynemouth. They were the recipients of a large number of useful presents.

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Jul 2015 10:37

Oh- hold on- just found a very small article which may be of interest- just give me a minute.

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Jul 2015 10:43

Gloucestershire Echo - Thursday 16 September 1937

PUBLIC NOTICES:
I, KATHLEEN COOGAN of 61 St. Pauls Road, Cheltenham, heretofore called or known by the name Kathleen Aston HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that on the Fourteenth Day of September 1937 I renounced and abandoned the use of my said surname of "Aston" and assumed in lieu thereof the surname of "Coogan" by which surname I intend in future to be known.
Dated 15th September 1937
KATHLEEN COOGAN (late Aston)
WITNESS: H F MIDWINTER Solicitor, Cheltenham

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2015 10:48

Fantastic..............thank you so much

Confirms that the death is for the Berkley birth. I can 'finish her off' officially

I wish I knew what she'd been up to!

Midwinters still have a practice in Chetlenham

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 11 Jul 2015 12:44

Could this be the Frank she married??

Frank Aston of 6 Campbell Rd, Broardwell Lane End near Coleford Gloucestershire died 1 Nov 1944. Probate Gloucester 31 July to Lydia Aston widow. Effects £683.3s.9d.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jul 2015 14:19

Thanks, Mel, but no.

That probate is this guy

Deaths Dec 1944 (>99%)
Aston Frank 61 F. of Dean 6a 328

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Jul 2015 19:44

Is this perhaps the death of Vincent "J." Coogan

Reg.June Quarter 1924...

Coogan Vincent 45 Croydon 2a 300

A quick check revealed no other Coogan BMDs Reg Croydon between 1900-1927 except one Marriage of a Mary Coogan to a Michael Murphy (1918)...