Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JOHN BLOWES (c1774) HELP!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liane

Liane Report 13 Jun 2015 18:49

Hi Everyone,

I have been researching the Blowes/Blows (note spelling varies) family, ancestors of my Gt. Grandmother Alice Mary Blows (1885-1930). I have managed to trace back several generations to a John Blowes (c1774) and his wife Elizabeth Meggs (1771-1836).

John and Elizabeth's son William Blowes (1798-1835), their Grandson James Blows (1820- 1899) and their Great Grandson Arthur Blows(1859-1941) were all Baptised in Willingale in Ongar, Essex. It seems the family remained in the Willingale area for many years.

The tracing of John Blowes himself (c1774) However, has been confusing as there may be more than one set of possible parents.

I know John Blowes and Elizabeth Meggs married at St. Andrew's Willingale on 25th January 1791. I assumed he would have also been baptised here like the rest of his family and a possible match would be a Baptism of a John Blowes 3rd April 1774 (parents not named).

According to one GR friend, John Blowes parents are James Blowes and Ann Forster. I found their Marriage in Epping in February 1758.

Another GR friend suggests John Blowes' parents were John Blowes and Elizabeth Judd. The 1851 Census has a John Blowes living on Manor Farm in Cambridgeshire. He is an old man and a Widower.

I know Elizabeth Meggs/ Blowes died at the age of 65 and was buried in Willingale. It is possible he moved to Cambridgeshire after she died. The Census record also shows he was born in Cambridgeshire (parents John Blowes and Elizabeth Judd) hence the confusion with which set of parents are correct. I understand not all census records are accurate.

Is there anyone who can help me identify which set of parents are correct please as I do not want to follow the wrong family? I have yet to discover any of his siblings as it is too early for census records and I cannot seem to find his death either.

Kind regards and many thanks,

Liane

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:02

Name: Edmund Blows
Christening Date: 05 Feb 1804
Christening Place: WILLINGALE DOE,ESSEX,ENGLAND
Father's Name: John Blows
Mother's Name: Elizth.

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05866-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 571185

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:03

Name: Elizabeth Blowes
Christening Date: 11 Sep 1808
Christening Place: Willingale-Doe, Essex, England
Father's Name: John Blowes
Mother's Name: Eliz

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04624-0 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1702677 , Reference ID: item 5

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:03

Name: Joseph Blowes
Christening Date: 27 Sep 1801

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05866-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 571185

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:04

Name: Rebecca Blowes
Christening Date: 18 May 1806

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:04

Name: William Blowes
Christening Date: 09 Oct 1798

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:05

Name: Maria Blows
Christening Date: 20 Sep 1812

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:07

you've headed this "James Blowes" 1774 - bit confused here

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:10

??????????

Name: John Blows
Christening Date: 08 Aug 1773
Christening Place: GRANTCHESTER,CAMBRIDGE,ENGLAND
Mother's Name: Ester Blows

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C13086-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 942.59 G4 K29CH

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 20:10

?????????

Name: John Blows
Christening Date: 17 Dec 1776
Christening Place: Bourn, Cambridge, England
Mother's Name: Eliz.

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02214-4 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1818369 , Reference ID: yr 1599-1877 p 66

Liane

Liane Report 13 Jun 2015 20:21

Hi Sorry about the confusion, Title of this post is JOHN BLOWES not JAMES. I have tried to correct this, I hope it works.

You are correct John Blows and Elizabeth Megg's children were William, Joseph, Edmund, Rebecca, Elizabeth and Maria. This is the correct family.

Liane

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 21:05

so it's John's parents you want to find - there are more Blowes in Cambridgeshire than anywhere else it seems

info I've posted is from the free Mormon sire - www.familysearch.org

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Jun 2015 21:09

Name: James Blowes
Spouse's Name: Ann Forster
Event Date: 07 Feb 1758
Event Place: Epping,Essex,England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M04199-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 571180

Liane

Liane Report 13 Jun 2015 22:12

Thank you for the information you have posted.

Yes it seems there are several possibilities. I am not sure I trust the 1851 census that states he was born in Cambridgeshire as The rest of his family all came from Willingale in Essex and there is a baptism of a John Blows in this parish however, I can't ignore this posibility either.

Without knowing John's siblings I don't know where to begin to confirm which are the correct parents!