Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Elmes Nickson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 8 Jun 2015 11:59

Hello
I am wondering if anyone might have a photo of my grandfather, Charles Elmes Nickson b 1872 Liverpool.
I have lots of info from census, marriage cert and photo of his wife ( my grandmother, Jane fellows.)
He was born in Liverpool and, lived there with his family. He was in the RFA during WW1. Possibly at barracks in Preston. He disappeared at some point, last seen in shop by Jane and grandson, Jack. Possible link to nurse in Preston ?!!
Found a death cert for Blackpool, but can't be sure it's him.
Thanks
Edward Nickson

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:04

Look for his name in search trees.....only someone connected is likely to have a photo......assuming one exists for someone born so long ago

If, as your post suggests, he abandoned his wife and family, it may be that any which may have existed were destroyed.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:05

The full name will be on the cert........it must be worth £9.25 to find out

NICKSON CHARLES E 1873 1951 1951 England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Fylde, Lancashire, England

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:07

He had several siblings....try researching them and their descendants

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
14, Pagewood Street, Everton, West Derby, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Nickson Head Married Male 36 1845 Corn Weigher Docks Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Louisa Nickson Wife Married Female 34 1847 - Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
William C H Nickson Son Single Male 11 1870 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Robert Nickson Son Single Male 10 1871 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Charles E Nickson Son Single Male 8 1873 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Alfred Nickson Son Single Male 7 1874 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Ralph Nickson Son Single Male 5 1876 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Herbert Nickson Son Single Male 0 1881 - Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Samuel Leyland Brother In Law Single Male 30 1851 Dyer (Undef) Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:09

You say 'last seen', but don't say when

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:10

He is in a number of GR trees...........try making contact with the 'owners'

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:13

Are you in touch with any of the descendants of his many legitimate children?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Jun 2015 13:13

Several trees on Ancestry have him as well - it's well worth sending messages as advised by Jacqueline.

(I'll remind Edward of how to find his replies) :-)

Edward

Edward Report 11 Jun 2015 10:43

Hi
Thank you very much for all your replies.
Re-last seen; it's possible around 1936>?
On the death cert, I have that one, not sure it's him. His name is shown as Charles 'Elmer' Nickson. The middle name has been misspelt over the years so it could be. Looking at military records, there were a couple of other Charles Nickson's in the area WW1. Mine was Liverpool, latest census, 1911.
I have been in touch with other family members, but no photo's.

I will keep looking, and hoping.

Eddie

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jun 2015 10:55

Births Sep 1872 (>99%)
NICKSON Charles Elmes W.Derby 8b 557

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jun 2015 10:58

this could be his death as there is only one other charles e born in 1907 so death cant be his so must be your charles

Deaths Jun 1951 (>99%)
NICKSON Charles E 78 Fylde 10c 227

Edward

Edward Report 11 Jun 2015 10:59

Thank's, Yvonne, I do have that birth cert.

Eddie

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jun 2015 11:05

the 1907 charles e died in 1970 only the 2 deaths for charles e in uk

Edward

Edward Report 11 Jun 2015 11:24

Looking at it again, it does appear to be the likely candidate. (1872-1951)

Now to fill in the gaps from 1911 (last census) and 1951.

Have tried British newspapers, but can't see anything there.

Eddie

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 11 Jun 2015 11:33

Found this on My Heritage, you need to be a member to read the info.

Charles Elmes Nickson, 1872-1951
Charles Elmes Nickson was born in 1872, at birth place, to William Nickson and Louisa Leyland.
William was born in 1845, in Elizabeth Black's, Lambert Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Louisa was born in 1846, in West Derby, Liverpool, Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Charles had 7 siblings: William Charles Henry Nickson, Robert Nickson and 5 other siblings.
Charles married Jane Nickson (born Fellowes) in 1892, at age 20 at marriage place.
Jane was born in 1871, in Liverpool, Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Her occupations were Juvenile and Domestic Servant.
They had 8 children: Esther Jane McLachlan (born Nickson), Robert Charles E Nickson and 6 other children.
Charles lived in 1881, at address.
He lived in 1901, at address.
He lived in 1911, at address.
His occupations were occupation, occupation and occupation.
Charles passed away in 1951, at age 79 at death place.

Edward

Edward Report 11 Jun 2015 11:40

Thank you for all the info, enjoy the sun !

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 11 Jun 2015 12:31

Possibly...

Nickson Charles of Ivydene, Cambridge Road, Hale, Cheshire died 14/07/1951 at St Josephs Hospital, Carlton Road, Moss Side, Manchester. Prodate Chester 27/10/1951 to Westminster Bank Ltdand Arthur Percy Hill, solicitor. Effects £7248.10s. 9d

(Nice sunny day here today)