Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth/Death Registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 7 Jun 2015 21:41

My cousin recently needed to apply for his birth cert. to apply for a passport. He and all us cousins had always known him as John ....... born 1941 Lambeth. He was told at the registry office that nothing could be found for him with the info. he had given but they did have a Frederick ....... with correct MMN born 1939. He thought this must be him and accepted the birth cert. However, recently whilst doing the family tree we have discovered in my mothers wedding photo John/Frederick mother holding a new baby think this must be Frederick and John was born at a later date is definately younger than my sister who was born in 1941.
This leaves us with John whom we don't think could have been registered and have been told that his mother did lose a baby in a fire which we are assuming could possibly be Frederick but there isn't a death registered for him.
What I was hoping is that someone could tell me would it have been possible between 1939 and 1942 to be able to not register a birth or death?
Hope this is clear enough to understand.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2015 22:07

As it's so important, he'd be better off talking to the Registrar in Lambeth. Presumably you have checked the GRO index for births with his surname and mother's maiden name?

1939-1941 would have covered the Blitz years - unless we were adults and involved in registering BMD we aren't really in a position to say what might have happened or was destroyed. I'm sure that there is something about Police Stations registering deaths although may not have been in London

Might it be possible that his mother was sent out of London to a place of safety when she was close to her due date?? A birth reg say in Hertfordshire (or anywhere else for that matter) might have been dismissed

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2015 22:15

This is an old thread, but has some interesting comments. In their case, the poster was looking for a 1944 birth

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/799491

malyon

malyon Report 7 Jun 2015 23:16

was his sisters name dorothy born lambeth

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jun 2015 09:18

His mum may have been evacuated when he was born have you tried freebmd using just the surnames to see who come up for that time

My brother was born in 1941 SE London and his birth is reg ,another bros was born in 1945 at the same address and reg .folks knew it had to be done as a matter of course

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 8 Jun 2015 10:10

Born in 1941 he must be drawing a pension now did he have any difficulty getting that without a birth registration ?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Jun 2015 12:01

Try looking for a birth under the mother's maiden name......it was wartime