Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brewer Henry lost on Titanic 1912

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 30 May 2015 16:42

Just seen the list of Titanic Passengers and crew in Liverpool and noticed
Brewer Mr. Henry (Harry) 30 Lost. Wondered if anyone could tell me were he was born or who his parents where. Any help appreciated
"Thank You"

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 May 2015 16:47

Found this by googling:

Mr Harry Brewer
Contents
1.Biography
2.Basic facts
3.Credits
4.Comment
5.Add new info
6.Link and cite
Henry "Harry" Brewer was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England around 1882. His exact background is unclear.

He was married to Edith Wordon but there is no record for their marriage. Edith was born in Lambeth, London on 24 January 1894. She appears on the 1911 census as a domestic servant and bottle washer lodging at 21 Houndwell Gardens, All Saints, Southampton.

When he signed on to the Titanic, on 6 April 1912, Harry gave his address as 27 Palmerston Road, (Southampton). His previous ship had been the St Paul and as a trimmer he could expect monthly wages of £5, 10s.

Harry Brewer died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified. His wife, who had been pregnant at the time, gave birth to a son on 6 July 1912, Harry Marks Brewer.

Edith Brewer was remarried early in 1913 to William Edward James Prewitt (b. 1888 in Southampton), a boilermaker. The couple later lived at 92 Manor Road, Itchen and would have four children whilst living in Southampton : Dorothy Edith Alexandra Victoria (b. 1914), Reginald William George (b. 1918), Ronald Hector (b. 1920) and Joseph Roland Harold Clifford (b. 1923). The family left England on 23 October 1925 on board the White Star steamer Doric bound for Québec. They appear to have lived in Canada for some time in Welland, Ontario and Edith and William had another child, a son named Vernon Lincoln Edward in early 1928. The entire family crossed into the USA 30 November 1928 and initially settled in New York, appearing on the 1930 census living in Tonawanda, Erie before showing up on the 1940 census living in Manhattan.

Edith Prewitt, née Wordon, formerly Brewer, was widowed in 1981. She herself passed away in Madison, Florida on 29 May 1991.

His son Harry Marks Brewer also settled in Florida. He died on 1 September 2001.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 May 2015 16:51

And this re: Henry Brewer's wife:

Henry Brewer's Wife?
by Robert J.Prewitt

This is the family story as it has been passed to me form my grandparents, Edith and William Prewitt, now deceased and my father, Ronald Prewitt, very much alive as of 11/25/2005 born 3/16/1920. I spoke with him this evening to verify a fine point in the family story. It seems that Henry Brewer crew #806 was listed in the official record as widowed. This may not be quite accurate for he had either a new wife or was quite busy before the sailing. On the dock in Southampton a young woman, with child waved goodbye as Titanic sailed into history. She, Edith later gave birth to a son, Harry Brewer. She later met a merchant seamen in Southampton, William Prewitt. This is the part I called my father about. He told me that when his father, William Prewitt married Edith, her name was Brewer. He verified this from paperwork when he arrived in the U.S. from Southampton in the '30's. Her maiden name was Walden.

I knew Harry Brewer very well and spent a lot of time with him in my youth. The story of Titanic was one I grew up with, long before "Jack Dawson". As the story goes without Titanic I and my father both would not exist. We are the product of an alternate "Timeline". Had the 'berg been 100' away. He died in 2000. My grandparents in the '90's. My dad is the last of 5 children and I am his only son. He never got along very well with his half brother Harry, for Harry was always his mothers favorite

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 30 May 2015 16:54

Thank You very much Margee. Unfortunatly Not on my Tree, So that's that one cleared up lol Thanks again