Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EAST SUSSEX RECORD OFFICE LOOK UP PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 24 May 2015 12:31

I posted this before and I thank those that replied but I now know that the records are open to the public. I apologise for reposting but with new information I thought that I would try.

Alice Bristow died in Lewis in 1919 aged 36. [June Qtr] As far as I know she died in Brighton "Asylum" which is another name for the Brighton Workhouse. It was named as the Brighton County Borough Asylum (1903 - 1919) and the Brighton County Borough Mental Hospital (1919 - 1948)

If anyone is visiting the East Sussex Record Office would they be kind enough to look at the record and see if there is any indication of when she was admitted and any details about her such as death and family etc.

This is the info from the East Sussex website:

Work House Registers of Death in the Work House:
Repository E S Record office

ESRO reference G/13/18/2
Level series
Access Status Open

Many thanks
Alan

Many Thanks
Alan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 May 2015 14:01

Sorry, can't help with a visit to the record office.

I doubt that the death record will give any indication of family members (unless she was married and it may say "wife of............." in the occupation section of the certificate.

It depends on whether or not the record office has the admittance registers and the workhouses site doesn't mention that they still exist.

Your best bet would be to buy the death certificate:-

First name(s) ALICE
Last name BRISTOW
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1883
Age 36
Death quarter 2
Death year 1919
District LEWES
County Sussex
Volume 2B
Page 196

Kath. x

Alan

Alan Report 24 May 2015 14:14

Hi Kath
I rang the E Sussex Record Office and they "accidently" gave me the details that are on the death cert over the phone. No details of Alice appear there except the name of the Dr who registered her so I was hoping that the Work House records might indicate other details of her as a person.

If the "details" in the WH record show anything, I am hoping it will indicate who put her in there.
Many Thanks
Alan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 May 2015 17:25

Are you sure that Alice definitely died in Brighton Workhouse? I only ask because according to the workhouses site it says:-

"In 1914, the workhouse became known as Brighton Poor Law Institution. ******Between 1915 and 1920 it was taken over by the War Office and operated as the Kitchener Indian Hospital accommodating sick and wounded Indian soldiers*****. In 1921, it reverted to use as a workhouse until 1930 when it became Brighton Municipal Hospital. In 1948, it became part of the National Health Service and renamed Brighton General Hospital."

Kath. x

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 May 2015 17:47

I'm not familiar with Brighton so not sure, but did Lewes registration district cover Brighton in 1919? I query it as an old post I was reading about the workhouse mentioned a death in 1897 that was registered under Brighton district in 1897.

This link descibes Lewes district:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/lewes.html

This one is for Brighton- which mentions the General hospital:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/brighton.html
"BRIGHTON REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Abolished : 1.11.1998 (to become part of Brighton & Hove registration district).
Sub-districts : Brighton Central, Brighton General Hospital, Brighton Outer, Brighton West, East Brighton, Kemptown, Palace, Pavilion, St. Peter, West Brighton"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_Grove,_Brighton
"Brighton General Hospital stands at the top of Elm Grove at the Queen's Park Road junction. The main building, which is Grade II-listed and forms the hospital's Arundel Building, was built as the Brighton workhouse between 1865 and 1867...."

I understood that Brighton General Hospital, which as described above was formerly the workhouse, was registered under Brighton & Hove from 1898? but, as I said, I'm not sure.

malyon

malyon Report 24 May 2015 18:24

Opened as the 'Kitchener Hospital'
In early 1914 Brighton Workhouse was renamed the Brighton Poor Law Institution, but shortly afterwards the building was offered to the military as a hospital and the 1,050 inmates were evacuated to large houses in Brighton and Hove, and to other institutions in the county. The 'Kitchener Hospital' opened in January 1915 and was used until April 1916 for wounded Indian soldiers and then for British troops. It was handed back to the guardians in July 1920, reopening as the Poor Law Institution, but on 1 April 1930

malyon

malyon Report 24 May 2015 18:30

people did die in brighton workhouse must have been used for a hospital in 1919 found this

Reference: COR/3/2/1919/138
Description:
James John of 26 New England Street, Brighton; 66; at Brighton Workhouse Infirmary, 4 Sussex Square; cardiac failure caused by pulmonary tuberculosis; natural causes
Date: 4 Dec 1919

Held by East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 May 2015 18:51

But Yvonne, the death of Alice Bristow was registered in Lewes, the death of James John Wilcox was registered in Brighton:

First name(s) JAMES J
Last name WILCOX
Gender Male
Birth year 1853
Age 66
Death quarter 4
Death year 1919
District BRIGHTON
County Sussex
Volume 2B
Page 261

Perhaps Alice was evacuated to another Asylum within Sussex, when the workhouse was offered to the military? (I think Sussex County Asylum, St Francis Hospital- Wivelsfield, registered under Lewes) What was the address on the death certificate Alan?

malyon

malyon Report 24 May 2015 19:47

i thought it was the brighton workhouse alan was looking for he did say brighton workhouse

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 May 2015 20:06

He did say Brighton Yvonne- but if Alice had died in the same workhouse as James John Wilcox, I thought her death would have also been listed under Brighton district?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 May 2015 22:28

If she died in Brighton, why would her death be registered in Lewes?

Don't you think it would be wise to obtain a copy of the cert?

What happened to your previous thread?

Have you tried asking the Records Office for a lookup?

Where was she in 1911?