Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

H117 Edeevee skipper by Jack Howson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 15 Apr 2015 22:32

I have seen a newspaper cutting of a boat H117 skippered by Jack Howson Leaving Hull 1958 for Dover then said to be for heading for New Zealand. Just curious if anyone knows if it arrived.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Apr 2015 23:54

A stupid question but I thought that H117 were small fishing type boats

If correct then why would it go to New Zealand ?

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 00:01

I have found the newspaper cutting of Jack howson who bought a 65 ton boat to sail to New Zealand from Hull in 1958 and set sail that year, but not found anything to say when and if they arrived. I will have another look.

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 16 Apr 2015 00:07

That's the one Just a curiosity Though Sylvia, as I am a Ex Hull Trawlerman just wondered if he made it. Probably need a Dover man or a New Zealander (if he made it.)

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 00:12

My son in laws grandad worked on the ships in Hull docks, he is in his late 80s now and a bit forgetful wondering if he knows anything. I will find out which one he was on,

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 00:15

H320 Arctic Corsair is the trawler that son in laws grandad had. I just looked as my husband is doing a model of it for him.

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 16 Apr 2015 00:17

Thanks Sylvia. Artic Corsair is still berthed in Hull as The Museum Ship in the water behind Wilberforce House (High Street area)

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 00:24

I will have another go tomorrow. When did you work on the trawlers George

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 00:28

Thanks for that info. George I can have a look at that. His name is Joe Jefferson.

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 16 Apr 2015 00:29

Early 60's Then Joined R.N. for 9 years as advised. No future in fishing.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2015 23:53

No luck with it George. Hope you do find out, would be very interesting to know.