Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gilbert Hayhurst 1792 - ca 1826

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2015 00:39

Please, can anyone find a burial for Gilbert Hayhurst in 1826 or 1827.

I have all the details of his life, except for an exact date of death ...................

Born born 05 Feb 1792 at Milton Mill, Preston Patrick/Preston Richard, Sedbergh, baptised 22 April 1792 in Preston Patrick, Yorkshire.

Married Jane Goose on 9 June 1813 at St Michael the Archangel, Whittington, Lancashire.

They had 5 children, the last born in 1826.

Two Public Family Trees on ancestry have Gilbert's death as 8 November 1826, Preston Patrick ......... but no documentation :-(

A friend found a reference in the Index to Death Duty Registers on FMP to him, with death year 1827

She also found a reference on the National Archives to an Administration Bond being issued on 9 June 1827.

The address given on the Administration Bond was Milton Hill (should be Mill), Kendal, Westmorland.

His widow is still at Milton Mill in 1841.

but we cannot find the proof for death date in the ancestry trees ...............

I've tried every site that I can think of, with no success.

there just seems to be no burial, no obituary, etc etc ....... at least, not online

Mike *

Mike * Report 22 Mar 2015 02:18

From someone's tree but no source given

Name:
Gilbert Hayhurst

Birth: 1792 - Lancashire, England
Death: 8.11.1826 (8 Nov 1826)
Marriage: 9 Jun 1813 - Whittington, Lancashire, England
Spouse: Jane Goose

Mike *

Mike * Report 22 Mar 2015 02:25

ANOTHER VERSION ...

Name:
Gilbert Hayhurst

Birth: 1792 - Westmorland, England
Death: May 1836 - Barrow in furness, Lancashire
Marriage: 9 Jun 1813 - Whittington, Lancashire, England
Parents: John Hayhurst, Elizabeth Croft
Spouse: Jane Goose

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2015 02:55

Hi Mike

The first one you posted is one of the two trees that I found .......... that's why I would like to confirm that death date.

and the second is another of ancestry's wrong trees :-)

shall we say "completely mucked up" :-)

The parents of "my" Gilbert were Robert Hayhurst and Mary Newton ............... fully documented!

There was another Gilbert Hayhurst who had a wife called Jane, & both birth dates similar, but he was born in Whittington, Lancs, and was a tailor.

There are in fact two families of Hayhursts, which must be related back before 1625 as that is as far back as I have got without finding a link

................ both like the names Gilbert, Christopher, William, and Cuthbert; all like to marry wives called Elizabeth or Jane; all are millers and farmers ............. and they move from Lancashire to Westmorland and even "exchange" mills. So it is easy to get them confused.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Mar 2015 11:38

Sylvia...Cumbria Archives (CASCAT) has a photo copy od the Preston Patrick Burials also numerous other refs.to Preston Patrick and "Hayhurst" Milton Mill...

http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk

There are 80 docs in all and one of them shows the Marriage of a James Hayhurst (son of John) aged 28 in 1881 living Milton Mill to a Jane Grayston...(Think its item no 57)...

WDY 237 - Transcript of Preston Patrick Burial Register

Archive centre Kendal
Reference WDY 237
Title Transcript of Preston Patrick Burial Register
Description Photocopy of transcript of Preston Patrick burial register 1813-1840 (Nos. 1-346) by Kath Hayhurst
Date 1813-1840
Extent 1 file
Catalogue level Fonds

The Kath Hayhurst noted above has a number of messages on the link below....

Check them out ......

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/eng-westmorland/1999-09/0938381972

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2015 17:25

Erin

thank you

I'll check those sites out later today

I have seen most of the message boards on ancestry, and even posted on there myself ..........

.......... but many of the posters are descendants of the Cuthbert Hayhurst who was on the Second Fleet to Pennsylvania in 1680-ish

I have not however seen Kath Hyahurst's

It sounds very interesting!

Quoy

Quoy Report 22 Mar 2015 18:01

found in the newspapers dated jan 26th 1843 to be let in consequence of the decease of the late tenant Mrs Jane Hayhurst Milton Mill nothing about Gilbert

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2015 19:08

Quoy

Thank you

yes ......................... she died in late 1842

and I had also found a newspaper reference dated 19 May 1838 to one of his daughters getting married, with reference to "daughter of the late Gilbert Hayhurst of ............"

That was all I knew until I found the two ancestry trees last week.

Quoy

Quoy Report 23 Mar 2015 09:05

you might like this it may come in useful you can read online which also has a search facility or you can download your own copy and it's free

https://archive.org/details/lancashireparis07socigoog

https://archive.org/stream/lancashireparis07socigoog#page/n11/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/lancashireparis23socigoog#page/n124/mode/2up/search/hayhurst

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Mar 2015 17:25

wow!

Thank you for that link

that'll keep me quiet for a bit :-D

malyon

malyon Report 24 Mar 2015 12:55

Jane Goose
England, Lancashire, Parish Registers 1538-1910
Name: Gilbert Hayhurst
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 09 Jun 1813
Event Place: St Michael, Whittington, Lancashire, England
Spouse's Name: Jane Goose
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Age: 21
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1792

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2015 17:06

Thank you, Yvonne ..................

Although I did say in the opening post that I had everything about his life except the actual date of his death.